Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #21

It was new and the one I ordered is new. The one I ordered from the dealer I am not sure if they charge or not
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
Don't worry you paid for it somewhere in the deal. No such thing as a free lunch with these dealers. They lumped it in and called it free to make you feel good!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Not really I was quite surprised as I drove a hard bargin and got well over $5000 off price and no not sticker price, dealer sale price.

And after 2 years I still get 10 to 20 percent off anything I buy from them for the Rv.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #23

Pete's RV is where I bought my Vengenance 39R12. They did a great job on the pdi/walk thru. Yes, they do try to sell you a bunch of stuff, but I transferred everything I needed from my trade in. I would buy from Pete's again, good people!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Ultraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchd View Post
Is it normal for a dealer to charge for the walk through with you? To me it sounds crazy and it should be a given with the purchase of a trailer. They also said that this 800 dollar fee was for proprane fill. I laughed at the guy and said your crazy, I'm not paying that. He also said they need to inspect my truck before the trailer can leave their lot. At that poi t I just got up and started out the door. Salesman asked where I was going and I told him I'm done dealing with this place. He tried telling me all dealers do this. Was I over reacting or is this a gimic. I'm picky about my truck and I my I work on it. I don't like others touching my stuff
This is a bad dealer on so many levels IMHO. I would write him up in our dealer review sextion!

You should never be charged for a PDI! Strike 1
$800 for Propane? Strikes 2 & 3 just because that is outrageous - he should be reported to the BBB!
Telling you "All dealers" do this is a bald face lie and is strike 4 5 & 6

Inspecting your truck....mmmm...my dealer did this (installed our 5th wheel hitch as well) I saw it as a courtesy. In this dealer's case, however, I bet he wanted to do it to sell you more stuff
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #25

I asked the dealer why he needed to inspect my truck. They just make sure that you have a truck that can actually tow the trailer's rated weight. Can you imagine some guy showing up with a Tacoma to pick up an 18,000 Gvw toy hauler? As for the other stuff, run don't walk.
TheMusikShoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Inspect the truck?
AFTER you bought the camper?

800 dollars! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

THIEVES

CRIMINALS

Time for a midnight visit by "The Avenger!"
Make sure you get the cameras first!

Seriously. OMG...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #27

Honestly my walkthrough took almost 2 hours, very good folks to work with, even gave me the right size ball and hitch, now I know thats not a big deal but it is sometimes the little things that matters, bought a 2012 this past spring,2 full propane tanks, lol, even after I stopped in twice without buying anything, then the third time we stopped by and they had received the (trade-in) it was just what we where looking for.
Camping fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #28

"Inspecting" your truck or even asking you what tv you have, is like a motorcycle dealer asking you if you have a m/c endorsement. You got the cash to buy a new camper, or a new bike, it's the sale that counts to them. The m/c dealer is not required to check for a proper license, and it's not the rv dealers responsibility to see if your truck will tow what you just bought. If an rv dealer wanted to look at my truck, I'd ask him why, but pay for it, no.
The only thing my dealer asked me was what I had for a tv. I told him, and that was the end of it. I will admit that there are many, many new rv buyers who have an inflated sense of what their truck is capable of, and it is in the dealers best interest to at least find out what the buyers tv is, but not until the papers are signed. As has been said many times here and elsewhere, you can never have too much truck!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Ultraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:03 AM   #29
Site Team

I already know where you guys stand on this matter but I'm hoping I won't regret sharing that I was charged by my dealer for the PDI. I also questioned it but not to the point of walking away. However, personally I have received my money worth but I didn't pay anywhere the amount the OP listed. I am a single female with no technical knowledge or experience. To shed light on my lack of experience I will say that once I found out that I would have to lit the pilot light in the oven it was almost an deal breaker - I'm being serious. (Let's not mention the water heater)

Not saying that we should be charged for a PDI - I'm actually against the fee. Just like paying for the RV to be transported too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:46 AM   #30

Don't walk away RUN!!!!!! Our PDI Propane fill, battery & many other extras were FREE & our price was great too!!!!!!! (Could not find a better deal on the internet.) Our same dealer included the hitch & installation in the price on the purchase on the FW before this one. All & within in 5 miles of our house.

Pure Theft !!!!!!! To charge $800.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:14 AM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I already know where you guys stand on this matter but I'm hoping I won't regret sharing that I was charged by my dealer for the PDI. I also questioned it but not to the point of walking away. However, personally I have received my money worth but I didn't pay anywhere the amount the OP listed. I am a single female with no technical knowledge or experience. To shed light on my lack of experience I will say that once I found out that I would have to lit the pilot light in the oven it was almost an deal breaker - I'm being serious. (Let's not mention the water heater)

Not saying that we should be charged for a PDI - I'm actually against the fee. Just like paying for the RV to be transported too.
Our dealership offered "New Owner Training" separate from the sale. It was a full day and they wanted 500 bucks if I remember correctly, but it was a pure extra profit seminar taught by the mechanics. After 18 months of dealing with them I discovered THEY needed to go to training; not teach it.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:23 AM   #32

Our dealership held a half-day seminar very early this spring on de-winterizing / getting ready to go for the spring. No charge, started the morning with coffee and donuts, had their 2 PDI guys and a couple of other mechanics plus the owner in the seminar.

Now, that's good customer service/relations. That's why we've bought from them twice and will go back if (OK, "when") we're ready for our next unit.

Kudos to BILL THOMAS CAMPER SALES in Wentzville, MO.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:39 AM   #33

X2 Capt. Mike - there are some good dealers out there!

Our PDI took 4+ hours & we had a "Final Exam" given to us by the PDI tech. He had us ready the rig for the road, hitch it up and drive next door to the adjacent campground, unhitch and set up for camping (we had a overnight shakedown campout as part of our delivery.)

Next morning they drove over in a golf cart and fixed several nitpicks and even replaces two sewage caps I had accidently broken--replaced them with Rhinoflex caps, not the factory cheepos...no charge.

Dandy RV in Anniston Alabama is a outstanding dealer!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #34

We will see what this dealer says when I show up. Waiting for trailer to show up. They said 6 to 8 weeks
Old 07-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
We will see what this dealer says when I show up. Waiting for trailer to show up. They said 6 to 8 weeks
Hope your deposit is small. If they play hardball it will be tough to bail on a large down payment.

Another possibility to refuse the "so called" PDI and just not sign any papers until YOU have inspected the camper and not leave the lot until you are satisfied it is up to snuff.

Here is pretty good PDI inspection checklist from Changin' Gears.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Inspection Checklist.pdf (83.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: doc Changin' Gears - RV Inspection Checklist.doc (347.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #36

I have a receipt for a deposit and on it is fully refundable. I asked for that
Old 07-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I have a receipt for a deposit and on it is fully refundable. I asked for that
VERY smart. You may need to hold them to that.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #38
NELA

We bought our 5er in early January. It's our second RV from these folks inside a year. No charge for either PDI.

With the 5er, it was winterized when we got there to do the PDI. Our tech even "unwinterized" it and then "rewinterized" it to show us how. They had started some new safety measures between our purchases. With the 5er they pressured up the gas lines (at the stove) and left the gauges on for the entire PDI and we were required to confirm there was no loss of pressure and sign off on it. Additionally, once we were hitched up for the final time (they took us thru it three times) the tech drove it to the edge of their sales lot, maneuvering it thru the sales lot from the garage/PDI area out to the street.
I've a feeling they had an incident. We drove the V-Lite out ourselves.

Both had full propane tanks and fresh batteries...no extra charges. A separate team installed our 5th wheel hitch while our PDI tech spent as much time as we needed.

Down in the dealer review section I shared, in detail, what these folks did for us when we had problems with the wedge on the trip home.

OUTSTANDING Dealers: Bayou Outdoor Super Center, Bossier City, LA

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #39

This salesman is a real jerk. He must think everyone is stupid!
chaslorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #40

Checkout rv wholesales in lakeview ohio 2.5 hour drive for you but people drive much further do to there low prices only down side you have to call for a quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ohio xlite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi