Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #41

I was told that Clem's in Evans City charges 875 bucks for a PDI. Reason enough for me to never deal there.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #42

I was reading my owners manual from Forest River and it says that the dealer is responsible to give the owner a clear and detailed walk through. How can they charge when it's supposed to be their responsibility? Is my manual the only one that states this? Would be interesting to know.
TheMusikShoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #43

Well, an extreme example would be the U.S. government is supposed to protect us. That doesn't mean they don't charge us for it. Taxes, taxes, taxes...

So even if it is a party's responsibility doesn't mean they can charge you for it...

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #44

Another GOOD Dealer - Reed RV in Huntsville AL - took care of our A/C issues over the weekend ... Just a good ol' redneck RV dealer in Huntsville AL - Highly recommended for FROGs if you need them!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #45

Well the trailer came in last week and I picked it up Friday the 8th. Was actually amazed with the quality. I went through it with a fine tooth comb and all I found was the front outside light out, it actually blew when I turned on the switch. And the only other was everything was great on shore power. But once unhooked no power. Check power to center fuse panel and no 12 volts, checked battery good. Found circuit breaker 2 foot from battery and it was bad. I actually did all the work before I asked the tech for the breaker. It just a habit of mine. This happened when I was inspecting while waiting for the gentleman to do my walk through. It was nice this way. I looked through the trailer with no one bothering me and then had a few specific questions to the walkthrough guy. All in all a good experience. Towed home great. Now I'm gonna camp at home a few times then go to a local campground for the weekend a couple times
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #46

It is unbelievable that the dealer would charge for a walk through. It is also unbelievable that the industry generally only provides a one year warranty. A $100K automobile would have, at the minimum, a three year warranty. From what I read, and from personal experience, it is even difficult, in many cases, to get the dealer/manufacturer to honor the one year warranty. Fortunately, I have only had one small warranty issue that was denied by the manufacturer, a defective recliner on delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #47

I agree. While many of the components are sourced from different companies that have their own warranties like Atwood, suburban, dometic, etc... I would think a 3 year structure warranty from the manufacturer of the trailer itself for example would go a long way in increasing perceived or real value.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #48
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.beck.7737 View Post
It is also unbelievable that the industry generally only provides a one year warranty. A $100K automobile would have, at the minimum, a three year warranty.
For most of my driving life, auto's came with a 1 year limited warranty (or 12,000 miles which ever came FIRST). In the 1960's it was 90 days or 4,000 miles. In the 70's they added a 5 year VERY limited drive train warranty.

When sales tanked due to poor workmanship, one manufacturer offered an extended warranty and it worked so well (marketing wise) other manufacturers were forced to offer it.

KIA, I believe, had so many engine problems that they started a 10 year warranty program because they were the biggest car joke ever (almost bankrupted the company). Now several car manufacturers offer similar warranties but the cars cost more than double (some triple), too.

MOST of the camper's components have multi-year warranties already. FR warrants "the assembly" for a year with an offer for a second year for 150 bucks or so (and totally worth it).

As an example, the microwave has a 90 day warranty, but the magnetron (the part that fails when it won't work anymore) is warranted for 10 years.

The roof material also has a 10 year warranty. You have to maintain it to keep the HOLES cut into it waterproof, but the material will last the life of the camper.

Interesting read on car warranties!
http://lrbhawaii.info/lrbrpts/70/newcarwars.pdf
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi