Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #1

Wheel bearing check on new toy hauler

Yesterday I was doing a few things on our new XLR 27 HFS. I grabbed a tire and gave it a shake. I found it had significant play "clunking". I checked all of the wheels and found the same thing on the other side.

I have only traveled about 700 total miles since purchased.

I jacked up the tire and could feel it had excessive play. I took off the tire and end cap and found that there was very little grease from the factory. The "zerk" fitting for greasing the bearings was broken, (little ball missing and spring hanging out).

Just a word to the wise check those bearing even on a new unit.
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Wanna Be Camper

If it has Ez Lube Axles you may think the bearings are not packed properly but most likely they are. Bearings do not need grease oozing out everywhere inside the hub to be properly packed. The only time you will see a mess like that is after using that ez lube fitting. I would check all the bearings and repack them manually then set the preload on them.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #3

I do have the EZ Lube fittings, one was damaged. There was a fair amount of grease in one of the hubs, but the other side the one with the damaged fitting had very little grease. The bearings and races looked ok. so I repacked the bearings and set the preload on just the rear axle. It started raining so I will check the other axle after it dry's up and before I travel anywhere.

Setting the preload I ran the nut in tight, backed it off spun the hub, ran nut in until just snug and then backed off nut until I could insert the cotter pin through castle nut and spindle.
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote