Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #1

Wheel chock question

I have a GreyWolf 22RR. Can someone post pics or suggestions on how you use your wheel chock.
DanPoncherello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPoncherello View Post
I have a GreyWolf 22RR. Can someone post pics or suggestions on how you use your wheel chock.
I only use the BAL X-Chocks, .... in spite of other post that will say you should not use only them, but use them in conjunction with the other wedge chocks, ... they stop the wheels from rolling, ...??... what more do you want?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0143.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	157316  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #3

If you are talking about the basic wheel chocks I use 4. Normally between the tires. If I have to level with boards I make sure the chock has boards under it so same level as the tire. If on a steep hill I may put more chocks on the down side and less or none on the uphill side. I just kick them in with my shoe.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #4

If you are using the Lynx Levelers (lego blocks) they make a wedge that interlocks with them that works quite well. Google/Amazon will get you to it. The camco version of the bal x chock works ok too. Just get the right size for your wheel spacing
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #5

I use both BAL X chocks

Name:   51H-VSKx05L__SX355_.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  25.3 KB
and heavier duty wedge wheel chocks.

Name:	15324-orange-wheel-chock.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	157319

It may be overkill, but a few years ago I had a trailer get away from me. I borrowed it from a friend at work, before we bought ours. I was setting up on a grade, and had his cheap wheel chocks behind the wheels. When I was unhooking it from the TV, the trailer rolled back as soon as the ball dropped out of the hitch. The cheap wheel chocks sunk into the ground and the trailer rolled right over them. It made it about 10 feet before the tongue jack stabbed into the ground and stopped it. Luckily there was no one behind me and no damage was done, but a scary situation none the less. Not something I ever plan to repeat.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #6

I use the X Chocks but in the back of my mind I always had this concern that a tire might lose air or go flat while we were not there OR someone might steal one or both allowing the TT to move or shift. So I have been known to use yellow wheel chocks as a security in addition to the X Chocks.

That's just my small paranoia though.

Marty
Old 11-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #7

Made my own......
...and use both as needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wheel Chocks 2.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	157321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Chocks 4.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	157322  
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
I only use the BAL X-Chocks, .... in spite of other post that will say you should not use only them, but use them in conjunction with the other wedge chocks, ... they stop the wheels from rolling, ...??... what more do you want?
Well...the instructions say to not install them until you are done leveling so the question becomes, what are you using to keep the trailer from rolling during that time?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Well...the instructions say to not install them until you are done leveling so the question becomes, what are you using to keep the trailer from rolling during that time?
Well, when I pull into a spot I level side to side before I unhitch. Once my Level Mate says it is level side to side on my Andersons I install the X chocks and place wheel chocks in place. The I unhitch and level front to back. Once that is done then I lower the stabilizers.

The whole process takes about 15 minutes in the daylight. Night ops may add 10 minutes.

Marty
Old 11-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #10
Site Team

While it's not evident from the first post here, the following text from another thread leads me to believe this OP is referring to an "inside the TH" chock:
"Quote: Originally Posted by slapshot12
I use a removable front wheel chock with 5 ratchets straps (1 thru front wheel, 2 off the front crash bars, and 2 off the rear crash bars) to floor mounted e-tracks. i installed the e-track so I can use it for my atv's and '15 HD Limited.

The mounts screw into the floor and the chock screws into them. When I don't use the chock, I just put the bolts in to plugs the holes and not to lose the bolts, and leave the chock in the cabinet.

Which wheel chock do you use? I have the grey wolf 22RR. "

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martsing View Post
Well, when I pull into a spot I level side to side before I unhitch. Once my Level Mate says it is level side to side on my Andersons I install the X chocks and place wheel chocks in place. The I unhitch and level front to back. Once that is done then I lower the stabilizers.
So...you install them before you are done leveling.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
So...you install them before you are done leveling.
Holy cow. You're right.

Marty
Old 11-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
While it's not evident from the first post here, the following text from another thread leads me to believe this OP is referring to an "inside the TH" chock:
I use a removable front wheel chock with 5 ratchets straps (1 thru front wheel, 2 off the front crash bars, and 2 off the rear crash bars) to floor mounted e-tracks. i installed the e-track so I can use it for my atv's and '15 HD Limited.

The mounts screw into the floor and the chock screws into them. When I don't use the chock, I just put the bolts in to plugs the holes and not to lose the bolts, and leave the chock in the cabinet.

Why interject logic now? The thread already has a life of it's own. LOL...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Why interject logic now? The thread already has a life of it's own. LOL...
Right........ sorry it took me almost two hours to read and comment (and to find his post in the other thread). I'll try to do better!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #15

Quote:
That is probably referring to side to side leveling, which of course is true, ... until your unit is level side to side, you are moving it to get it level(onto blocks, Andersen Leveler, ect.), so naturally you don't/can't install them until all movement is finished, and then .... X-Chocks, first and last, ... the first thing when parked(after side to side leveling is complete) and the last thing removed when leaving, ......

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
That is probably referring to side to side leveling, which of course is true, ... until your unit is level side to side, you are moving it to get it level(onto blocks, Andersen Leveler, ect.), so naturally you don't/can't install them until all movement is finished, and then .... X-Chocks, first and last, ... the first thing when parked(after side to side leveling is complete) and the last thing removed when leaving, ......
If you look at their video on youtube, they say to level up and down before installing. Somewhere, I also saw some instructions they gave to use regular chocks as well.

Of course now it sounds like the OP wasn't talking about chocks on the outside of the trailer after all although he hasn't confirmed.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post

I use this one in my current TH. When we get the new Momentum in a couple weeks, I'm going with a Biker Bar.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chock...ax/TWSPWC.html
Old 11-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #18

I use these. I don't secure the chock to the floor. Just drive the bike into the chock...or push it. I can get off the bike and the chock holds the bike upright, allowing me to attach the tie down straps by myself. Just as easy undoing the straps by myself to unload (loosen one strap a little then the other to keep it even until all tension is removed from the straps. When not in use I put them in the back of the truck while camping.

Works great on the BMW GS Adventure and the wife's Triumph Tiger 800. The KLR 650 has a skinny front tire which keeps the 'gripping' action from squeezing that tire (keeping the bike as stable) but still works by myself. If I place some rubber matting in the lower tire holder to fill the gaps, its just as secure.

https://titanlifts.com/chocks/titan-bulldog-wheel-chock

Tags
wheel