Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Roadbender
Unhappy Where' s the plug?

My 2011 34 FT Forest River Wildcat came equipted with a trailer hitch reicever but no electrical plug for the trailer I want to pull behind it.
To make matters worse there doesn"t seem to be any way to get to the tail light wires with out removing part of the bottom which appears to be sealed around the back end as well as packed with insulation under it.

Am I missing some thing, or is there an easy way to connect to the Forest
Forest River with out tearing it apart ?

Roadbender
Roadbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Site Team

that receiver is not for towing but for bike racks or cargo platforms.
that's why there's no electrical connector.

many states don't allow for double towing and all have length restrictions, most states it's 65'.
check with your state to find out the laws where you live. most require the first trailer to be a 5th wheel. you don't state type or model Wildcat you have.

you'll have to check and see what the tow/load capacity of the receiver is.
and if it's capable, find someone who'll wire it for you.
but if something happens, your warranty will be void, since it's not designed for towing.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadbender
My 2011 34 FT Forest River Wildcat came equipted with a trailer hitch reicever but no electrical plug for the trailer I want to pull behind it.
To make matters worse there doesn"t seem to be any way to get to the tail light wires with out removing part of the bottom which appears to be sealed around the back end as well as packed with insulation under it.

Am I missing some thing, or is there an easy way to connect to the Forest
Forest River with out tearing it apart ?

Roadbender
Pm wildcatChris and ask him what your options are for the questions u seek.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #4

bikendan, this thing keeps sending before I'm ready. I didn't realize that all Wildcats weren't fith wheels. Mine is, you make a good point about the hitch being just for bikes, not requiring a light connection. AZ,UT, ID, NV allow double combinations. How ever your right even though the hitch looks like a class 4 unit the trailer frame may not be up to it. I plan to pull a Can Am atv side by side which with the trailer will weigh about a ton with a toung wei.ght of about 500 Lbs. I will load my trailer so as not to exceed the axel weight limits. Thanks again for you imput.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
that receiver is not for towing but for bike racks or cargo platforms.
that's why there's no electrical connector.
seems like at a recent cardinal rally the factory reps said the same thing...not meant for towing.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My question would be is the tv even capable of towing another ton ?
Is the 5th wheel hitch capable of another ton as well ?

I wouldn't pull beer cans behind mine.

Turbs
Old 09-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Explorer

Every one else have good reason for concern and have given good thoughts, but if I wanted to get electical to the back of my rig I would splice in up front and run it down the frame.
Be safe, have another viehical tow with you. For short trips make a second trip thats how I get my boat there.

Good Luck, We all love/need our toys. My dad says I need train for all mine.
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungKopernik
Every one else have good reason for concern and have given good thoughts, but if I wanted to get electical to the back of my rig I would splice in up front and run it down the frame.
Be safe, have another viehical tow with you. For short trips make a second trip thats how I get my boat there.

Good Luck, We all love/need our toys. My dad says I need train for all mine.
John

We just take two vehicles.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #9

Thanks guys for all your thoughts. I think the hitch, trailer and my 3500, 2006 Dodge 5.9 are up to the pull. I like the idea of running the wire down the frame. I'll run it through a piece of PVC conduit and fasten it to the I-beam flange and plug it right into the trailer light connector on the truck.
I'm thinking that the trailer mfg's don't want to take the responsibility of stating that the hitch is not made to pull with, but install a heavy enough hitch to handle the job. As for me I have 45 yrs experience pulling 2 and 3 trailer rigs. If I can't make it feel right running down the road I won't pull it.

Roadbender