Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #1

Why Do My Axles Say #4400 Capacity and My Sticker GVWR is #9792

I have a 2016 Hyper Lite 27HFS and I was crawling around under it and found the sticker on the axles say #4400 capacity for a total of #8,800 (tandem axle). The sticker on the side of the camper states GVWR is #9792. What am I not understanding? I would have figured the axles would be the determining factor for the weight it can handle.
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
Site Team

How much is your tongue/pin weight?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #3

When I moved with the trailer (so the garage was FULL) my tongue was #760 and the trailer was #9200 total (so a bit light on the tongue). Not sure what it is empty.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #4

What Dan's getting at is you get some weight capacity added for the amount of weight placed on the tongue. The weight for your camper is on three different points: two axles and the hitch. Those three together are rated to support 9792 lbs.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #5

Okay I'm understanding now. For example when I moved and the trailer weight was #9200 there was actually only #8440 on the axles since the tongue weight was #760.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #6

I really hate that forest river gets away with that. Our 2013 2608ws is 6675 on two 3000# axle. They expect 675 tongue wiegth. The only problem is if you then add a wdh it takes tongue wieght off and adds it back to the trailer axles. It has about 900# cargo capacity which in reality is only 600# to keep the axles within specs. Maybe thats why they smartened up and the new 2608ws has 3500# axles now. We have to load everything ahead of the axles yet all the main storage is at the very back of the trailer.
Very deceptive number juggling imho.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabmeb View Post
I really hate that forest river gets away with that. Our 2013 2608ws is 6675 on two 3000# axle. They expect 675 tongue wiegth. The only problem is if you then add a wdh it takes tongue wieght off and adds it back to the trailer axles. It has about 900# cargo capacity which in reality is only 600# to keep the axles within specs. Maybe thats why they smartened up and the new 2608ws has 3500# axles now. We have to load everything ahead of the axles yet all the main storage is at the very back of the trailer.
That's a good point.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
It is just not an opinion, that is what they do, just enough to exceed the GW, with no wiggle room, look up the price of that axle and the next step up. Not much more money, but much bigger safety issue. If you ask FR they will say so you don't overload it. To me it's just profits to them and other manufacturers of RV'S $$$$$$.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:08 PM   #9

Know I'm late to this, but some of this has to do with sprung and unsprung weight. Gvwr is weight of trailer and load axle rating does not need to take unsprung weight . .ie tyres , wheels and the axle it self which is included in the GVWR.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Stealth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #10

The trailer builder sets a target figure to build to. That figure is the trailer’s ultimate GVWR. Once established, other safety values are mandatory for the builder to achieve in order to provide NHTSA figures certified by the builder, as correct, and displayed on a permanently attached federal certification label (found on the LH forward external section of the trailer).

NHTSA writes safety instructions (regulations) containing minimum safety values for the trailer builder to follow. They are in a series of numbered regulations grouped together in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) documents. Those that are required to be on the certification label are, GVWR, all GAWRs, recommended tire and rim sizes appropriate for that fitment and the recommended (correct) tire inflation pressures.

Within the FMVSS other instructions are found, in this case 571.110 applies. One of the instructions is the establishment of a hitch weight that must be published. Its part of the trailer's certification process and is used one time only. Its weight is added to the total GAWR weight. The sum must equal or exceed GVWR.

When a prospective buyer does a PDI on a trailer they should always compare the items on the trailer with the items on the certification label. If all items are satisfactory and the trailer is sold to that buyer the trailer’s safety is in the hands of the consumer.

As an owner, weight, balance and proper tire maintenance are of up most importance. Loading a trailer beyond its GVWR is probably going to overload the tires and axles and sometimes even the rims.

When we look at how close our axles are normally spaced its quite common to assume they are carrying equal weight. Well that’s just not so and that axle or single tire that is carrying the most weight is probably destine for trouble. Remedy; Pack your trailer for a trip and then go to some scales and see what and where the weights are.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
This is not unique to Forest River, pretty much all RV manufacturers do it.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCampers View Post
This is not unique to Forest River, pretty much all RV manufacturers do it.
Agreed, all manufacturers do it.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #13

The following is a verbatim quote from a NHTSA Q&A document.

The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #14

I have to chime in on this one.

I believe there is a marketing ploy on the part of the Rockwood/Flagstaff folks to provide the bare minimum axle rating so as to keep the GVWR as low as they can, This is to support the idea that the units are 1/2 ton towable, or in the case of smaller units they can be towed with small SUV's.

Other manufacturers such as Northwind Manufacturing (Artic Fox and Nash) offer substantial Cargo Carrying Capacity in their units, at the risk of being labeled "heavy units". They are only heavy if loaded to max CCC, which would rarely be the case.

As for me, I upgraded to 5200# axles 4 years ago and have never looked back.

No I don't carry more stuff in my trailer now, I just have a reasonable margin of safety when it comes to the running gear.

My 2 cents

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightpumpkin View Post

As for me, I upgraded to 5200# axles 4 years ago and have never looked back.
Changing to axles with heavier load capacities may make an owner feel more confident but it will not change anything else. Only the vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier have the authority to change a vehicle's GVWR or GAWRs. So, your trailer's certification label still displays the correct values because the GAWR values as set by the vehicle manufacturer remain the same unless modified and re-certified.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Changing to axles with heavier load capacities may make an owner feel more confident but it will not change anything else. Only the vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier have the authority to change a vehicle's GVWR or GAWRs. So, your trailer's certification label still displays the correct values because the GAWR values as set by the vehicle manufacturer remain the same unless modified and re-certified.
Read what I said, "No I don't carry more stuff in my trailer now, I just have a reasonable margin of safety when it comes to the running gear."

The upgrade substantially reduces the probability of a failure on the highway, because the load bearing components are now running at 60% of their capacity vs 95% capacity as delivered from the manufacturer.

Yes the upgrade makes me feel more confident, with sound technical reasons for the confidence.

If the manufacturer had installed 5200# axles and appropriate tires and wheels, he could hardly have sold the trailer as 1/2 ton towable, that's my point.

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #17

Airdale has told you how they set the GVWR, but again not how the proper axle rating is determined.The axles do not need to to equal the GVWR as they do not carry all of the weight period. It's not a game being played with your safety it's really simple math and physics.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Stealth13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle