Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #1

Windshield mounted GPS for hauling the Toy Hauler

Hey everyone and thanks for all the great information from this forum so far ... I am looking for feedback on purchasing a GPS for use in my truck while hauling the toy hauler ... I would like one that will connect to the wireless backup camera ... as well as one that will help me plot my trips with the camper so that I stay away from low bridges etc. and I'm hoping for one that will also help me find truck stops as well as rest stops during the trip ... anyone have any suggestions on what to buy or even what NOT to buy? I'm new at pulling a camper if this size (35 feet) and need all the help I can get.

Thanks
Brad
selandbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Do you have a smart phone? Millions of apps for these things.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #3

Unfortunately it have a smart phone however I can't use it as gps ... my Data gets "throttled down" really early in the month and then I am unable to use data on the phone for stuff like this.
selandbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #4

I now have the Garmin RV760LMT, which Garmin just replaced with the RV770LMT. Not sure if the newer model is any better for the price (plenty of the older still in stock). Both have the capability of the backup camera. Plus free traffic (you need your phone for that), which works just as well as the traffic in Google maps.

I have gone x-country using google maps (android auto in my truck), which is okay on the west coast, but not for the east coast. Some very interesting and stressful routing . Ended up just using road maps on that trip.

For me, I have tried the phone apps, and they work. Of course you need the space on your phone, connection to the internet here and there. But using the Garmin, just works. Update the maps every couple of months (free!), and go. Will it guide you wrong every so often? Yup, have a freeway off ramp near my place that is wrongly remembered by the Garmin as being a 5 ton limit, so it tries to reroute. Sent a correction in to Garmin, and they responded that they will notify the map maker.

There are others out there, but Garmin is the big fish and after having used their motorcycle, auto, and aviation GPS's, I will stick with them.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #5

I have the Garmin mentioned above. I had to add wire from the back of the toy hauler to the front to get it to work. I have a 40 ft toy hauler and the rear camera would not go that far. Not a problem, just had to run the sender up to the front. Ran the wires in 1/2 in pec plastic pipe to protect it from the elements.
2014 RZR XP 1000
Days Camped in '18- 106
Days Camped in ‘19- 23
Tucson Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Tony Zornik Send a message via MSN to Tony Zornik
Human GPS

I am blessed to be partnered with my wife, Jane, who is a veritable basket of good qualities. One of them is that she is a born navigator. For example, in a sailboat race, one of our (floating!) winch handles "jumped" overboard. I was too busy to even look up, but Jane looked around at the waves, noted the wind and the surrounding shore, quietly, mentally plotted a likely course and landing spot for the handle. After the races, we got in the TV and drove to a beach (about 5 miles away), to within 50 feet of the handle. She is like a homing pigeon. You could be anywhere, blindfold her, turn her around and she, without any visual input, can point to north.

I am the opposite. My intuitive sense is to turn in the wrong direction, every time, but only every time. When I go somewhere, all by myself, she often prints a map to guide me. Do I look at them? Not so much. Well, when I first start out, I look, get a mental image of where I'm going and set out. I often make turns in the opposite direction. So, its a gift.

We have a 10 plus year old Garmin nuvi 2460 (with a dash-mountable stand). We update the maps before every trip. One particularly useful feature is that it displays the proper lanes for exiting the Interstate, and even displays a photograph of the exit. When we drive through Las Vegas during rush hour (we don't want to, but sometimes it works out that way), there is one spot where we come onto an Interstate on the left, but need to cross 5 lanes of traffic for a right hand exit in only a short distance. In that area I think the speed limit is 60, but the traffic moves at about 80. So, including the tongue, the TT is about 30 feet, and with the towing Suburban we need a 55 foot hole (if we could move sideways, 90 degrees) to change lanes. Most often can't get to the right in time, so we exit as soon as we are able to, and then circle back. The Garmin is good at showing the map and giving voice prompts for the course correction.

Also, the screen displays the speed limits for the roads we are on. Google's GPS, if we turn it on, also, can notifiy us of construction, accidents, and other road conditions. One of the other things I like about Garmin, is that the maps are update able at no cost for as long as you own the device. We own a Toyota Prius for non-towing driving with a built in GPS. I don't like the OEM GPS. You can't move the display when sunlight washes it out. Also, updating the maps is a profit center for Toyota. I think they want $400 or $500 to update the maps. They aren't as accurate as Garmin's anyway.

Google's GPS is good, but dependent on the cell battery and signal availability. The Garmin and Jane are my choices.

Back to Jane. Before every trip, she gets current maps from AAA and studies them thoroughly. I am usually driving, so while navigating she has a map open on her lap, with her finger on our current position. She is thinking ahead and plans alternative routes in case of trouble. She looks ahead and anticipates course changes. Driving in high speed, congested urban traffic (our experience is in Portland, Seattle, SLC, Phoenix and Las Vegas) is really a team effort. I'm watching the road ahead, the mirrors and the instruments, while keeping us in the center of our lane and out of a space where another vehicle already is, or is about to go (no time for multitasking). She is navigating and helping with tight lane changes.

For all conditions, I'd recommend Garmin and Jane. Also, avoiding peak traffic. and drive safe!
Tony Zornik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #7

Just be sure that when driving in AZ, you put your GPS on the left side of the steering wheel - it is the law there. Listening to the 60's on XM, Flash Phelps was telling us that he got a ticket in AZ for not doing that in March. I would have never, ever thought that would come into play.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
I now have the Garmin RV760LMT, which Garmin just replaced with the RV770LMT. Not sure if the newer model is any better for the price (plenty of the older still in stock). Both have the capability of the backup camera. Plus free traffic (you need your phone for that), which works just as well as the traffic in Google maps.

I have gone x-country using google maps (android auto in my truck), which is okay on the west coast, but not for the east coast. Some very interesting and stressful routing . Ended up just using road maps on that trip.

For me, I have tried the phone apps, and they work. Of course you need the space on your phone, connection to the internet here and there. But using the Garmin, just works. Update the maps every couple of months (free!), and go. Will it guide you wrong every so often? Yup, have a freeway off ramp near my place that is wrongly remembered by the Garmin as being a 5 ton limit, so it tries to reroute. Sent a correction in to Garmin, and they responded that they will notify the map maker.

There are others out there, but Garmin is the big fish and after having used their motorcycle, auto, and aviation GPS's, I will stick with them.

Mark
Agree on Garmin 760 LMT. Update ours 2X a year.
G R E A T customer Service at Garmin. Can be set to work in 4 wheel arrangement or with a RV trailer.
lengercce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruff View Post
Just be sure that when driving in AZ, you put your GPS on the left side of the steering wheel - it is the law there. Listening to the 60's on XM, Flash Phelps was telling us that he got a ticket in AZ for not doing that in March. I would have never, ever thought that would come into play.
John, thank you for your post. I didn't know anything about any of this. Since reading your post, here is what I've learned. Here are the states where a windshield mounted GPS is illegal:

States in Which Windshield Mounts Are Illegal (As of April 2017)

Alabama
Arkansas
Connecticut
Delaware
Georgia
Idaho
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Michigan
Mississippi
Montana
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Washington DC
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

In the following States, nothing can block visibility (As of April 2017):

Alaska
Arizona
Colorado
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Maine
Nevada

In some states a device can be mounted, but only as low on the windshield as possible (As of April 2017):

California
Florida
Minnesota
Ohio

As of April 2017, windshield mounts are legal in only 3 states:

Massachusetts
Missouri
Tennessee

A law firm in Flagstaff, Arizona posted (11-27-2011) this blog about windshield mounted GPS's in Arizona:

https://flagstaff-lawyer.com/news-bl...ps-in-arizona/

This blog's author says that in Arizona, nothing can be mounted that restricts or obstructs the drivers clear view through the windshield or any of the windows. GPS devices are legal, they just can't be mounted where they restrict or obstruct the drivers view.

I just went out to our Suburban to see whether or not our little GPS (less than 4.5 inches in height when seated in its dashboard mounting bracket) obstructs the drivers view. If it sits on the dash in front of the driver, pushed all the way to the windshield, it just barely does not obstruct my view, but it would for a shorter driver. It can be mounted in a depressed area in front of the passenger where it doesn't obstruct the drivers view, but looking at it does require shifting the drivers focus to the right side. I could fabricate a bracket for mounting it low on the dash, above the console, but looking down would be required (like looking down to adjust the heater). When I make time for it, I'll think about fabricating a bracket that hangs it off the top of the dash, as high as possible, but out of even a short driver's view through the windshield.

John, thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:52 PM   #10

If you want to witness ignorance inaction go to your state capital when guvmint is in session.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #11

Gps

I use the app Here We Go for navigation on my iPhone it does not use data. It tracks by GPS
paulj4400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:26 AM   #12
Global Nomad

[QUOTE=Tony Zornik;1480306]John, thank you for your post. I didn't know anything about any of this. Since reading your post, here is what I've learned. Here are the states where a windshield mounted GPS is illegal:

Being a lawyer in Maryland, I know that is not correct. Please show me the law that says windshield mounts are illegal.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:55 PM   #13

[QUOTE=Scheinin;1484694]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Zornik View Post
John, thank you for your post. I didn't know anything about any of this. Since reading your post, here is what I've learned. Here are the states where a windshield mounted GPS is illegal:

Being a lawyer in Maryland, I know that is not correct. Please show me the law that says windshield mounts are illegal.
Here is a link to a site (they sell GPS mounts) that I referenced, listing states which allow windshield mounting, and also states where the site says the windshield mounts are illegal. Maryland is incorrectly on the illegal list, according to the second article from GPSTracklog:

Are Suction Cup Windshield Mounts Legal In Your State?

The second link, below, states that it is legal in Maryland (This site, http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34521 says that Maryland 21-1104 speaks to this issue) and that Maryland and 7 other states allow "dashboard mounts," but that placement location is limited.

GPS Windshield Mounts Illegal in over Half the U.S. - GPS Tracklog

At the end, this article makes a good point, "This article is meant to be informational and entertaining, but we cannot be held liable for incorrect information. It is the driver’s responsibility to comply with all local, state and federal laws and be aware of any changes therein. This article is not a substitute for legal advice and GPSTracklog and its authors cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions which may occur."

I shared the information from the first source so that we would be aware that windshield or dashboard placement is sometimes allowed, and sometimes not. I erred in not confirming the list's accuracy. As I stated in my previous post, I had no idea. I appreciate your professional input from Maryland.

For my own part, I'd like to conform to the laws in the states where I'll be driving, but rather than searching the State Codes, I most often rely on the reporting of others. Steven, thanks for pointing out that it isn't always or necessarily accurate.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #14

I have the Garmin 760LMT too. I like the 7" screen, it's very easy to read and find the buttons. I'm very happy with it and would highly recommend it. You can switch between RV and and auto mode. RV mode is handy because you can enter your dimensions and it'll warn you of low/narrow roads and sharp turns. Al of the directions have been spot on. I bought the little bean bag type mount and set it on the console.

Tags
mount, toy hauler