Old 12-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #11

We camp year-round in North Carolina, often when it's down in the low 20's. We camp with full hookups, so just keeping heat in the camper keeps our water lines from freezing, even though our underbelly is NOT enclosed. All of the water lines are internal. On nights when it's much below freezing, we unhook our fresh water hose and hook it back up the next morning. A jug of water works fine for overnight flushing needs. Unless your tanks are full, freezing won't hurt anything. So unless we have the need to dump them early the next morning (which we never do) we just don't worry about them. We've done this for many winters and never had a problem.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:12 AM   #12

Campnqueen My tanks are heated with a pad installed by the factory. They come on about 35 degrees and go off if above 40 degres. I use the heat tape on my fresh water hose. Happy camping.

bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #13

Glad I found this topic ! We just returned from a week long trip to Gatlinburg (stayed in a condo). We always take a day for Cades Cove and while leaving we drove through the primitive camp ground there. It was open, we did not see any T.T's or RV's.......we did see a tent!

I started thinking about people who post about camping in the winter and it does interest me....NOT THE WIFE !!

Being from Florida even when its cold......the sun is out. In the south while camping your outside most of the time. What do you do in a primitive C.C on COLD / snowy / rainy / overcast days in the 20's ?????

That's even to miserable to sit sit around a camp fire....to me !!

Just wondering what folks do in those conditions....hike, sight see, read ?? Would like to give it a try....just don't know if I could stay busy.....besides being busy staying warm !!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
Where should we go next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
We camp year-round in North Carolina, often when it's down in the low 20's. We camp with full hookups, so just keeping heat in the camper keeps our water lines from freezing, even though our underbelly is NOT enclosed. All of the water lines are internal. On nights when it's much below freezing, we unhook our fresh water hose and hook it back up the next morning. A jug of water works fine for overnight flushing needs. Unless your tanks are full, freezing won't hurt anything. So unless we have the need to dump them early the next morning (which we never do) we just don't worry about them. We've done this for many winters and never had a problem.
We do the same and have never had a problem. No enclosed belly. Just keep the heat on in the camper and use the water once or twice a night from flushing and washing of hands and you won't even have to disconnect the fresh water hose. We do keep the excess water hose coiled up and under the camper. As long as it's above freezing during the day you should be fine. We have never had problems.

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
Surveyor SV291
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #15

My TH as an enclosed belly and heated tanks as a factory option. Anyone know exactly what you get with the heated tank option? Is it the heated pad on a thermostat like the earlier post?
rcpd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Post ThermaHeat (tm) tank heaters

Heated pads have internal thermostats that turn on the pad at 45 degrees (5C) and turn off the pad at 67 degrees (20C).

They are "ON" or "OFF" depending on the switch inside the camper.

Most of their units are DC and the tank heaters pull 7 amps DC when heating (78 Watts). They require 13.5 VDC for maximum efficiency.

Elbow and pipe sized units pull less amps running. (under 10 watts)

They do make an AC only model SL-T825 for tanks up to 40 Gallons.

While the book says that you can run the pads with an empty tank, it goes on to say it is not recommended since the pads will continue to cycle and should be shut off.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf UltraHeat Tank Heater.pdf (349.6 KB, 34 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #17
Retired US Navy Diver

I have been researching heated water hoses. Google search has resulted in prices ranging from $250 to $80. That's for 25 foot hoses. Some had some poor reviews.

Seems like the way to go unless you have time on your hands to construct a heated hose. Many detailed descriptions online to build one but I just don't have the time or desire. Seems by the time you buy all the material and spend all the hours assemblying, you've got a pretty good investment going anyways.

But once you get the hose heated you have to come up with a plan to protect the water spigot in the RV park. My last camp out in subfreezing weather was Clarkston, WA in a beautiful RV park behind the Costco and right next to the river/lake. They notify you that if you use the water during freezing temperature and the pipe spigot freezes and ruptures, you are responsible for repair cost. I did not have a heated hose so I left the water slowly running in the bath room sink.

Many of the rigs were set up for winter water supply. As a new RV'er I walked around in the a.m. and took lots of pictures of how everyone else set up their water supplies. That's where I first discovered the existance of the store bought heated water hoses.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Heated pads have internal thermostats that turn on the pad at 45 degrees (5C) and turn off the pad at 67 degrees (20C).

They are "ON" or "OFF" depending on the switch inside the camper.

Most of their units are DC and the tank heaters pull 7 amps DC when heating (78 Watts). They require 13.5 VDC for maximum efficiency.

Elbow and pipe sized units pull less amps running. (under 10 watts)

They do make an AC only model SL-T825 for tanks up to 40 Gallons.

While the book says that you can run the pads with an empty tank, it goes on to say it is not recommended since the pads will continue to cycle and should be shut off.
That makes all the sense in the world except I don't have a switch anywhere to turn them on/off. The owners manual is pretty worthless and doesn't address it (along with a lot of other things).
rcpd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #19

WELL WE ARE FOR SURE WINTER CAMPING. We arrived in chesapeake Va on the 25th as planned. That night and the next day we got 15" of snow. Left the 26th and went to daughters house for christmas with Kids (7) and grandkids (14) and a few great grandkids We had no problem until we tried turn around in daughters cul de sac DW pushed me out. (120 lbs 5'1)we will stay here til 1st an continue trip. The camper performed well and we had no problems with water freezing. Some moisture inside windows, normal. Even the concertone worked well and pulled in 21 local stations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winter camping 001.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	4078   Click image for larger version

Name:	winter camping 002.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	4079   Click image for larger version

Name:	winter camping 003.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	4080  
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpd34 View Post
That makes all the sense in the world except I don't have a switch anywhere to turn them on/off. The owners manual is pretty worthless and doesn't address it (along with a lot of other things).
It is quite possible that your camper is not equipped with the "Arctic Package" It was standard on my Flagstaff Ultra-lite but it could have been an option on your unit.

The switch is marked "heater" on my switch area.
It is a rocker switch with a red "on" light.
A bit of trial and error led me to conclude it was the tank heaters.
The only switch on the furnace is the thermostat.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote