Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #1

Winter cover

I've got a 2009 27DFWP that I need to cover for the winter in NJ. I don't need access to the rear ramp so any recommendations as to which cover to get. Also, can a generic tarp be used or is that a no-no?
Jetroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #2

I wouldn't cover any trailer with a tarp. I've heard of stories where the tops of the trailers get mold and mildew because the tarp doesn't let it breathe. Find a decent cover like a ADCO or an Expedition Cover. They are priced pretty reasonably on ebay. Make sure you take the measurements correctly to save time in doing a return. Hope this helps.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetroc View Post
I've got a 2009 27DFWP that I need to cover for the winter in NJ. I don't need access to the rear ramp so any recommendations as to which cover to get. Also, can a generic tarp be used or is that a no-no?
Just a note from my experience. I had an ADCO cover but not a very good fit, which led to some rubbing at some tie down areas. Also developed a small roof leak, sometime while the cover was on one winter. I failed to do any checks until I removed the cover. By then the water had caused a few problems and there was some mildew developing. I think the cover gave me a false sense of security and also the fact that that it had to be partially removed to enter the trailer contributed to the delay in noting the leak.
'05 Shadow Aero 750
Wife and a Dog
sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:08 PM   #4

Have heard that a tarp isn't a good for the reasons listed above. The covers need to breath a bit. Our friends have a cover on their motorhome and have had for the two years they have owned it. Since it is stored next to our house I keep an eye on it. They clean their rig just before they winterize it and put it under the cover, comes out looking great in the spring. They have an Adco and have had a few tears in it on the lower corners where it comes in contact with the edges of the rear bumper and the tailpipe sticking out the side. Otherwise it is in good shape for 2 years use.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #5

Just read a post somewhere (might have been on another site) about those covers. Seemed a lot of people complaining they didn't hold up very well. I'm in PA, so we have about the same winter weather. I didn't get to cover my TH this year, as they didn't return it until December, and then it had to go in for more work in Jan. I used to cover my previous fifth wheel with those tarps. I know everyone tells you not to, but I never sealed the whole thing up, so "breathing" was never an issue. Only had the tarp come about half way down the side, covered the front and back was mostly open. I was more concerned with keeping crap off of the roof, gotta wash the rig at the beginning of the year anyway, so anything that got on the walls was no biggy to me. Only thing you realy have to watch is those mmetal rings they put in there, gotta make sure they can't bounce around in the wind and hit the sides of the trailer. Oh- one other thing- if you ever go up on the roof with one of those on ther, HANG ON! They are very slippery when wet!
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote