Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #1

winterizing rv - Sierra

We have a 2006 Sierra Sport Toy Hauler we bought without an owner's manual. How do you winterize it? All rv's are different. Thanks
loveneverfails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #2

Winterizing Your RV

The following are some guidelines you can use when winterizing your RV. The steps for winterizing are pretty standard for most RVs and should be done in the order listed. The guidelines also assume you have some knowledge about RVs in general, and your RV in particular (knowing where your inlet lines for the fresh water tank are located, for example).

Drain fresh water tank.
Drain and flush gray water holding tank.
Drain and flush black water holding tank.
Drain and flush hot water tank.
If you have low-point drain lines under your RV: Open the hot and cold faucets in your RV.
Uncap the low-point drain lines(NOTE: Some units are equipped with valves instead of caps); let water drain completely.
Recap, or close Drain Lines valves.
Close the hot and cold faucets.

Option, Blowing out the water lines with air:
(Note: If you have low-point drain lines, this may not be necessary).
Screw on compressed [purple]air adapter blow out plug[/purple] onto main fresh water inlet.
Apply compressed air, keeping pressure to less than 20 psi.
Open each faucet, one at a time, to force water out of lines.
Make sure to open each faucet in the RV, including the shower and toilet.
Open hot water drain plug and blow out the water in this tank.
Remove compressed air and compressed air adapter.
Replace drain plug in hot water heater and close all faucets.

Introduce antifreeze into the water lines: Use RV Non-Toxic Antifreeze ONLY.
Approximately 1-2 gallons should be plenty.
Make sure water pump is off and all faucets are closed.
Close the Water Heater Bypass Valve on the back of the water heater.
NOTE: If you don't have a Water Bypass Valve for your hot water tank, seriously consider having a [purple]by-pass kit[/purple] installed. Otherwise, in addition to the water lines you will end up filling the hot water tank with antifreeze. It's not harmful, but you'll use an additional six gallons of antifreeze.

Disconnect the water line where it joins the fresh water tank
- or -
If your RV is so equipped, shut off the valve coming from the fresh water tank and open the valve for the winterizing inlet line.
Place the water inlet line (either from the main system or the winterizing line) into the jug or other source container with the RV antifreeze.
Switch on the water pump; it will start to suck up the antifreeze into the lines.
Open each valve of each faucet slowly, one at a time, until the red antifreeze starts coming out. Once flowing, shut off the faucet valve.
Note: If for some reason you can't drain the water lines using the low-point drain lines and you can't blow out the lines with compressed air, you will have to wait until the antifreeze pushes out the fresh water in the lines before closing the valve. A rule of thumb; don't shut off the valve until the antifreeze starts coming out.
Remember to also do this for the toilet, tub & shower(outside shower if equipped).
Shut off the water pump.
Remove the inlet line from the antifreeze, then either:
Re-attach the water line to the fresh water tank
- or -
Close the winterizing inlet valve and reopen the fresh water valve, if your RV is so equipped.
Pour a small amount of antifreeze down each drain to ensure that the sink traps have antifreeze in them.
Pour a small amount of antifreeze in the toilet bowl also. Note: Don't flush it into the holding tank.

Damn, I'm out of breath.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
All RV's are a bit different, but most things that need to be done are very much alike. Valves and such may be in different locations, or you may have features that others don't.

Here is a good place to start. There are some very good pictures for winterizing:
http://www.bitware.com/5er/winterizing.htm

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:28 PM   #4

I agree with everything here except putting the RV antifreeze in the water lines. For Gods sake dont use that stuff in your water lines. For one thing, if you blow the lines clear with air there is nothing left to freeze and therfore no need for antifreeze. Second, getting the antifreeze out of the fresh water lines when you bring it out of storage or if you should happen to want to use it during the winter for some reason is a real big pain in the butt.

Rv water presure regulators of the type you buy at the RV stores are typically set for around 40-50 psi and your water lines are rated for much higer. I blow my lines with compressed air set at 40 psi. I open each faucet one at a time, open the toilet valve, shower head, etc, then open the low point drains with the air attached.

Finally drain your holding tanks to get the water out of the drain pipes. Now, if you want to pour RV antifreeze down the drains and into the toilet to protect the the drain pipes then do so, this is a good use of the pink stuff.

Lastly we leave a space heater or our electric fireplace on low to keep the temp inside the rig at between 50 and 60 degrees which keeps the damaging effects of the cold away. Usually we only have to do this for a month or so during the coldest nights here in the northwest.

In all the years and over all the rigs that my dad and I have owned we only ever used that danged antifreeze once and never again, we have also never had a problem with frozen pipes using the above mentioned tips.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sierra, winterizing