Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #21

Thor Industries has owned Airstream for quite a few years. If they were sold off it's news to me.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #22

FWIW I can understand most of the "inventory" issues on non-standard items. Many models and options for trim/panels to inventory. Think about it...one person busts the panel under the stove and another person breaks a panel by the couch another person scratches the trim above his rear bumper. There would be a large variance of parts based on options in years, colors, etc. Obsolescence protection would be a nightmare. These types of things I understand. There are only a few options IMO to fix. Less options/brands,more carry-overs, better inventory/management, more incentive to provide replacement(high enough). I dunno the true answer, but it would be EXTREMELY difficult to have an accurate inventory of breakable parts for an RV... hard-parts(appliance/chassis items)? B.C. These items should nearly always be in stock somewhere.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Thor Industries has owned Airstream for quite a few years. If they were sold off it's news to me.
I haven't heard that either. Here is a little history on Thor and Airstream, for anyone interested. I thought it was interesting how Thor got it's name:

History of Thor Industries, Inc. – FundingUniverse

1980: Thor Takes Over
When Wade F.B. Thompson and Peter B. Orthwein purchased Airstream in 1980, they had been involved in the recreational vehicle business for only three years. In 1977, the two entrepreneurs had combined their marketing and financial expertise to purchase HI-LO Trailer, a small player in the industry. Under their leadership, HI-LO prospered, and the two looked around for a bigger opportunity. Airstream was an obvious target.

Combining the first two letters of their last names, Thompson and Orthwein formed Thor Industries, Inc. in order to acquire Airstream. The acquisition of the legendary recreational vehicle and motor home manufacturer and the formation of the new company occurred simultaneously on August 29, 1980. The two new owners acted immediately to reverse the downward trend of Airstream's fortunes. They moved to improve quality, reduce costs, strengthen dealer relationships, and enhance their famous product. Within a year, sales had increased to $26 million, and they had achieved net income before taxes of $1 million, a $13 million turnaround.

With Airstream again a profitable enterprise, Thompson and Orthwein searched for another likely acquisition. In 1982, they purchased the recreational vehicle operations of Commodore Corporation. Known in Canada as General Coach, this new addition to the Thor line manufactured travel trailers and motor homes in British Columbia and Ontario. Under Thor, General Coach would build Citation and Corsair travel trailers, fifth wheels, motor homes, and truck campers, and maintain one of the highest customer satisfaction indexes and lowest warranty costs of any North American recreational vehicle manufacturer.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #24

As a side note on Thor, Peter Orthwein’s middle name is Busch. That’s right, Busch as in Anheuser-Busch. His paternal great great grandfather is Adolphus Busch the founder of Anheuser-Busch.

How’s that old saying go? It takes money to make money.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote