Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #1

Air Vent and Thermostat? Problems

We have a new 2017 Forester GTS 2801QS, Class C. Two problems:

1) Almost no air coming out of the peripheral air vents with the Quick Cool vent closed on the A/C unit. This is the same whether we are using heat or A/C.
2) When running the furnace, the fan does not shut off pushing cold air out when the furnace kicks off. Fan runs continually.

We are scheduled to take it to the dealer for service Dec. 19. However, we have been told that the lack of air coming out of the vents is "normal." Air pours out of the Quick Cool vent but when it is shut, almost no air comes from the peripheral ceiling vents. Can someone shine some light on this so we know better how to deal with the service department when we take it in? Thanks!
Conrgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrgrl View Post
We have a new 2017 Forester GTS 2801QS, Class C. Two problems:

1) Almost no air coming out of the peripheral air vents with the Quick Cool vent closed on the A/C unit. This is the same whether we are using heat or A/C.
2) When running the furnace, the fan does not shut off pushing cold air out when the furnace kicks off. Fan runs continually.

We are scheduled to take it to the dealer for service Dec. 19. However, we have been told that the lack of air coming out of the vents is "normal." Air pours out of the Quick Cool vent but when it is shut, almost no air comes from the peripheral ceiling vents. Can someone shine some light on this so we know better how to deal with the service department when we take it in? Thanks!
just a guess but the duct works is full of holes not sealed well, ac unit not sealed good between supply and return , on the t-stat go to fan then set to auto mode this will keep the ac from running when the furnace is on .
my vents for ac work well but have seen units where the duct work was so bad it just kept the space between the ceiling and roof cold
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #3

Drop your inside AC cover and look at the openings from the plenum into the ceiling ducts. You'll probably find that the openings aren't very big. I had this problem on one side of my AC. I got in there and cut out some of the foam to make the opening bigger, but I was working from the top and didn't get it as large as it ought to be. Next summer's job, I guess.

The 1st pic is looking down the ceiling duct from my bathroom vent outlet towards the front of the camper. The light area on the right is where the cold air enters from the AC unit. I have the top off the AC and you can see that there's light, but not very much. The 2nd pic is after I took an X-acto knife and cut out some of the foam. It may be hard to tell, but it IS better; but needs more foam removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC duct 1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	125524   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC duct 3.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	125525  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD