Old 04-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #111

My Surveyor has been good. I've probably put 10K miles on it and have spent about 90 nights in it. I'm not brand conscious, but I am quality conscious. From what I've seen out there my next one will most likely be a Reflection by Grand Design, or a Jayco Eagle. I did like the Solaire Eclipse by Palomino, but like the others better.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #112

One thing about this quality issue with RVs is... and this is just conjecture on my part... The handier a person you are, the less little imperfections bother you. Those that scream about the poor quality of their units probably take them back to the dealer for everything. Mine's never been back to the dealer for anything. I had a recall for a defective skylight. I replaced it myself after reading some horror stories of others' experiences with dealers' minimum wage techs over-tightening and cracking the replacements... caulk everywhere it shouldn't be... etc. I cracked the sink in my unit by leaving a bottle of dawn in it while traveling... I replaced it with a stainless unit for about 1/2 what a dealer wanted for the poor-quality plastic unit.

So, I think you get out of RVing what you put into it. I'm off to clean the bathroom in mine for a trip coming up, soon... Enjoy...

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #113

Any Happy Forest River Owners Out there?

I agree with the previous few posters. FR brands are just as good as other comparable manufacturers... When we were looking for a new TT, I did like the Jayco White Hawks and thought they were a bit better constructed... But they were slightly more expensive, didn't have exactly our preferred floorplan, and a bit heavier. So considering all things, including customer service and such, I think FR is at least in the discussion for building the best units.

I also agree about being handy enough to enjoy a camper. I'm pretty non-handy... But I'm not afraid to attempt just about anything. Between this forum and YouTube, I've done a lot of work on my own that would have required taking my camper in for warranty work and/or modifications. In just three short years, I've already learned a ton... And a lot of it transfers from one unit to the next.

So far, I've gone 2-for-2 in getting a good camper built by FR... This Apex is our third... We've only been out in it twice, so I hold off saying I'm happy with it just yet... But so far, it's been as solid as the others.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-06-2015, 01:26 AM   #114

I am very happy with my Flagstaff Micro Lite 19FD. I ove the way it is built and functions.

Happy Camper!
The Deans Brownsville Texas
run2jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetavon View Post
Cant say just yet....but I hope so....We have been searching around for quite a while for a replacement Hybrid,
Some research in here I see 89.5% would buy again
WELL......we are @ 2 months now, 3 trip and several camp driveways. Overall we are happy with it, but have several issues...

Entertainment system had multiple issues. Dealer gave several excuses...I contacted IRV directly, got great tech support, and a replacement unit after that failed to fix all the issues.

On our walk thru found 2 things that we were told would be fixed and Parts to be ordered, (a storage net and a complete tent end)
Still waiting without any word on when.

Not real pleased with the attention to detail in some areas like wiring, and cleaning up of the construction debris. A white drain hose sticking out a black frigde cover...I mean come on.....

Still get some leaking on the front bunk when closed...I realize its part of the beast.

But with that we would still fall into that almost 90% group.

Nights camped 2016..... not enough
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #116
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

We had a Dutchmen Kodiac for 3 years that we bought because we liked it read several places "never get a FR. Took a trip back to the factory to get everything right and then all was sweet. This time decided to go for an even better line so we shopped hard for a Grand Design or an Open Range. Made a decision and ordered the 3/4 truck to pull it...then I ran into the new design FR Wildcat. Std is 2 A/C, Maxxis 16s, 9cuft Refer, 50 gal tanks, all LED lights, Extra large front bin due to drop frame, large pantry, radius shower...and the price from my dealer beat everyone nationwide. Problems? All minor and now fixed. We are FR folks now.
LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote
6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard
Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #117

We just traded in our rockwood TT and bought a 8280ws with the diamond package and are very happy with it . We have had simple problems but our dealer and Forest River have stood behind their product. If we're to buy another trailer we would go with FR .🌴
Old 06-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
One thing about this quality issue with RVs is... and this is just conjecture on my part... The handier a person you are, the less little imperfections bother you. Those that scream about the poor quality of their units probably take them back to the dealer for everything. Mine's never been back to the dealer for anything. I had a recall for a defective skylight. I replaced it myself after reading some horror stories of others' experiences with dealers' minimum wage techs over-tightening and cracking the replacements... caulk everywhere it shouldn't be... etc. I cracked the sink in my unit by leaving a bottle of dawn in it while traveling... I replaced it with a stainless unit for about 1/2 what a dealer wanted for the poor-quality plastic unit.

So, I think you get out of RVing what you put into it. I'm off to clean the bathroom in mine for a trip coming up, soon... Enjoy...

X2!

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Ninemmsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #119

We have a Blue Ridge 3600RS for almost a year. No issues or problems (other than a few very small issues that were handled by warranty). Quality on them all is not what it was 40 years ago but that's true with most things today. We love the RV and have had good luck with the dealer. A good dealer is the key to a good experience.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothebeach View Post
Hey, I just purchased a new Roo which I will pick up in several weeks. If you read the thread below titled Quality, it would seem that Forest River puts out nothing but POS. It is rather disconcerting reading this as a new TT buyer. I'm hoping that my unit is decent quality with minimal issues, not perfect but just decent. From what I have read on here, that may be asking a lot. Can't help but wonder if I should have bought that other make and model.

I would really appreciate hearing from some of you that have been relatively pleased with your units. I hope there are some of you out there.

Guess I'm wondering if my dream vacations could turn into nightmares based on some of the experiences shared.

Thanks much.
I bought a new salem 261BHXL in May of this year, I have had several issues with it. The most important thing I have learned (from this forum) is doing a GOOD PDI. Most, if not all of the problem I have would not have been problems if I had known about a proper PDI. This is something I learned here. Make sure you take the time to make the dealer show you that everything works and how it works.

2016 nights camped so far 37
Craigban157 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river