Old 07-31-2017, 04:06 PM   #461

We have a 2011 Forest River 8288 fifth-wheel and are very happy with it. I know that maintenance has a lot to do with it but seeing that it is 7yrs old and still looks great and everything is still working, when the time comes I would lean heavily towards Forest River products.
That said, we did buy ours used at about a 3rd of the price of a new one, so my expectations may not be the same as someone who purchased one new and paid much more.

tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:48 AM   #462

What make of cars do you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordcamper View Post
We have a 2015 Forest River Flagstaff 8528RSWS fifth wheel...this is the 3rd one we have had..the first two were great, no problems at all, this one seems to be having more than the average of things going wrong...but all in all we are pleased with Forest River as they have tried to resolve our problems...it is like buying a car...you have problems, no matter what you buy....so enjoy the ones you do buy and hope for the best! Forest River is a great manufacturer, they make a good product!
Not sure what car manufacturer you prefer, but my 2015 Honda Fit has never needed to go to the dealer. My 2013 Honda Crosstour - same. 2011 Tundra - bought in Texas, went to Toyota dealer in Georgia for front end alignment and wheel balance while under warranty. 2006 Acura RL - one recall, no other issues in 160K miles.

I've never been turned down for warranty service by any car dealer nor have I had to leave any vehicle at a dealer for a month or more and hope they get around to fixing it.

Can't say the same for my 2015 Forester MBS.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:57 AM   #463
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Not sure what car manufacturer you prefer, but my 2015 Honda Fit has never needed to go to the dealer. My 2013 Honda Crosstour - same. 2011 Tundra - bought in Texas, went to Toyota dealer in Georgia for front end alignment and wheel balance while under warranty. 2006 Acura RL - one recall, no other issues in 160K miles.

I've never been turned down for warranty service by any car dealer nor have I had to leave any vehicle at a dealer for a month or more and hope they get around to fixing it.

Can't say the same for my 2015 Forester MBS.
Comparing the Auto Industry with the RV Industry is a waste of time.
The only thing they have in common, is that they both make things on wheels and sell them at dealerships.
Other than that, they couldn't be more different.

Computerized vs hand-built, union wages vs non-union wages, hourly vs piece rate, auto dealers bound to manufacturer vs RV dealers independent from manufacturer, auto vs house on wheels just to name a few.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:03 AM   #464

No argument there

You are correct, it is nothing like buying a car. I was responding to the poster who stated "it is just like buying a car".

I expect most first time buyers like myself think it is just like buying a car. I found out very quickly that the quality of the product, the quality and availability of service are miles apart.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #465

In 2015, we bought a 2016 Surveyor 251RKS. We have had 2 issues that have been covered under warranty, faded end cap and slide out of adjustment. Other than that, it's been a great trailer. I have been camping since I was a month old, I'm now 55. My parents owned TT's since the mid 50's so I have been in a few trailers over the decades. People have to remember, that big box behind your TV is constructed out of either aluminum or stick, staple and glue. I always chuckle and tell my wife when I get passed by a trailer doing 70mph or more, "there's another rolling earthquake". If you want to have less things fall apart, slow down a little. I know speed is usually not a cause of plumbing problems or electrical issues but the time you save tightening everything up that shook loose you can now spend fixing that leaky drain.
Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #466
RETIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaze View Post
In 2015, we bought a 2016 Surveyor 251RKS. We have had 2 issues that have been covered under warranty, faded end cap and slide out of adjustment. Other than that, it's been a great trailer. I have been camping since I was a month old, I'm now 55. My parents owned TT's since the mid 50's so I have been in a few trailers over the decades. People have to remember, that big box behind your TV is constructed out of either aluminum or stick, staple and glue. I always chuckle and tell my wife when I get passed by a trailer doing 70mph or more, "there's another rolling earthquake". If you want to have less things fall apart, slow down a little. I know speed is usually not a cause of plumbing problems or electrical issues but the time you save tightening everything up that shook loose you can now spend fixing that leaky drain.
Hope everyone has a great day.
X2 Well said except that with the conditions of and the construction on some of the hiways here on the Right Coast it wouldnt surprise me that problems woulld arise from loosened connections in plumbing and power

2015 Jeep Cherokee
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Cargo Van HR DRW EXT DIY Daytripper "My Little Red Corvette"
n-e-d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I'm here. 4 1/2 year old trailer, 16,700 miles traveled and over 600 nights camping and no problems. Have another 100 night trip planned for this summer.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

We just bought a used one which is the same model as yours. What do you recommend for lubing the slide outs?

Also I can't lock the door from the inside. Do you know what type of bar needs replaced? Thanks and happy camping.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4706.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	148585

Tags
forest river

« RV Quality? | - »