Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #21

I read on another forum where someone took their rope lights and permanantly mounted them under their trailer. They said it gave good light at ground level under the awning and didn't disturb other campers.
I like to see a cg where campers put up lights. Just seems to make for a great atmosphere.
Now if I was boondocking or at a cg where I was "roughing it", I probably wouldn't like it, but I mostly stay at SP's where you meet all kinds of people and the lights just let me know everyone is there to enjoy themselves.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodes 50 View Post
I read on another forum where someone took their rope lights and permanently mounted them under their trailer. They said it gave good light at ground level under the awning and didn't disturb other campers.
I like to see a cg where campers put up lights. Just seems to make for a great atmosphere.
Now if I was boondocking or at a cg where I was "roughing it", I probably wouldn't like it, but I mostly stay at SHIP's where you meet all kinds of people and the lights just let me know everyone is there to enjoy themselves. :anime_ snoopy:
That's what I did with my rope lights, they are mounted under the camper. it lights up the ground and you can see if there are any critters around, the other good thing is that if a Summer storm comes up and I have to roll the awning up I don't have to remove lights from the awning so I still have lights. Removing lights from the awning got old.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #23

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
I have thought about going to an auto parts store to buy the under car neon lights. I would install a relay and switch to control them. The main reason to use was that would run off the battery instead of take current away from my limited 30 amps. And you could run down the road with them turned on.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #24
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt4240dw View Post
I have thought about going to an auto parts store to buy the under car neon lights. I would install a relay and switch to control them. The main reason to use was that would run off the battery instead of take current away from my limited 30 amps. And you could run down the road with them turned on.

David
I think my rope light string (18 ft) only pulls about 15 - 20 watts off the shore AC power. But I did replace the 120 v bulbs in my ceiling fan and bedroom lamp with compact flouresants, changing a total of 210 watts to about 30 watts. Add shedding a lot of heat, too.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt4240dw View Post

David
Having these types of lights turned on going down the road is illegal in many states, might check the laws first. I have never had a problem with running rope lights and all my other stuff on 30amps either.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
That's what I did with my rope lights, they are mounted under the camper. it lights up the ground and you can see if there are any critters around, the other good thing is that if a Summer storm comes up and I have to roll the awning up I don't have to remove lights from the awning so I still have lights. Removing lights from the awning got old.

That's a great idea, I worry about the critters under the camper as well. I am going to try this and see how I like it!

dufchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufchick View Post
That's a great idea, I worry about the critters under the camper as well. I am going to try this and see how I like it!
I used white rope lights and I mounted them with PVC pipe clamps. I posted pic on an nother thread. Camping friends used blue lights but they are not real bright.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I used white rope lights and I mounted them with PVC pipe clamps. I posted pic on an nother thread. Camping friends used blue lights but they are not real bright.

Yes, I can see where the white lights would emit a better light when mounted this way. One of my neighbors has the blue ones around his pool enclosure and they are real pretty but not terribly bright. Blue would probably be nice for mounting on the awning. They are certainly cheap enough to get both and try them out.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #29

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
I was think of alternating white and orange as being from Tennessee. Or maybe white and blue as we live in Memphis.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #30

Thumbs up Lights

Got the rope lights (blue) at home depot, low price as quoted in this thread. Also got the clips from this website, http://www.rvawninglights.com/ it took only a few days to be delivered and they are perfect.

Thanks for the tips!!!

Allison

Old 04-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #31

I use a 3/4" VPC pipe cut into 3 6' lengths (for travel storage) and a c channels made for rope lights, that attaches to the pipe. It keeps everything in a straight line. use cloth hanger to attach to the awing.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning