Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #41
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J Silverback View Post
Well for my input as a newly retired CDL truck transporter ( first day of retirement) I have ask at least 100 RV transporters how much a mile it cost them to deliver a unit.and not one person could tell me. I looked at it and I don't see were you can make ANY money. Might be a good way to see a lot of country but if you have a family counting on your income I just don't think the numbers work out.
Yes, congrats on retiremen!
I probably have 30 years or so till im there.

That's crazy that they didnt know what their trip or load cost. I knew my cost and profit before i sent a guy out on a run to the best i could. Of course you can't plan every break down, but you buget for it out of every load. I had some loads that were a draw, but the next i made a profit. Or one run may have been slighty in the red, but the next i had a "home run".

They way i see it every business has this ebb and flow, but hopefully more flow.

You have to be a numbers person (or really lucky) or things will go south pretty quick. People are amazed that i keep a check register with every transaction in it and keep every recipt, cash or otherwise. But thats were it's critical to stay on top.
Good luck op and others looking to get in the business!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #42

Tax code comment

Was relevent regarding previous comments stating no transporters can make money. How would anyone really know anothers costs on time, equipment, depreciation, fuel and maintenance costs and on and on.
That's all. The nay sayers seem to be down on those choosing to haul.
Personally I APPLAUD those who do things most of us will not or can not do. The factory at FR will not allow buyers to come to the factory and take delivery. Based upon that model alone, DELIVERY COSTS AND WAIT TIMES FOR ANXIOUS BUYERS WOULD INCREASE DRAMATICALLY IF IT WERE NOT FOR THOSE CHOOSING TO HAUL.

End of comments from me on this string.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #43

I to looked into it, but just not worth it for me. The driver that brought mine was being paid 1.25 load. So long story short He cleared roughly 700.00 after fuel. But factor in motel, food, maintenance cost, etc.. It leaves a small margin. It's all in what you want to do and how you want to live. But yes there is money to be made. Are you gonna rich? Nope. Can you pay your overhead? Sure.
Mikele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #44

Mikele has it correct ! I do some trips just to get out of the house , some costs do not count , I eat out anyway quite a bit . Motels only half the time , I sleep on the floor in the trailer in a sleeping bag , motel mostly on the return . Maybe the people who bad mouth trucking have real good retirement accounts and think picking up a buck here and there is wrong . Wear and tear , my Rams do not wear for the first 250,000 miles ! I also believe ya can get a little more than $1.25 , but I ain't priced any since oil went down .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sport