Old 08-20-2016, 08:29 PM   #11

I had stripped motor gears on my steps after the dealer replaced the connection arm between the fan gear and the step assembly. It's my belief that the adjustable connecting arm was installed without proper adjustment which placed excess stress on the motor's gear train. This causes the gear teeth to break off after a while. It's tough to get the connecting arm properly adjusted because the arm is not located at the point of greatest stress on the gears when the steps are both in and out. The high stress point occurs just before the steps lock in the out position.

Phil

Old 08-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
I had stripped motor gears on my steps after the dealer replaced the connection arm between the fan gear and the step assembly. It's my belief that the adjustable connecting arm was installed without proper adjustment which placed excess stress on the motor's gear train. This causes the gear teeth to break off after a while. It's tough to get the connecting arm properly adjusted because the arm is not located at the point of greatest stress on the gears when the steps are both in and out. The high stress point occurs just before the steps lock in the out position.

Phil
different type of step mechanism then is being discussed the kiwki steps do not have a fan gear .

Old 08-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #13

the steps in question are the new IMGL steps which have a fan gear and no gearbox. The load on the delrin main gear in the motor depends on the angle of the cam. On my factory steps, the steps hit the stops just before the cam reaches 90 degrees. This will result in minimum load on the gear teeth due to the angle of the cam. Obviously the steps need to hit the stops before the gear reaches 90 degrees, otherwise the linkage will get shorter and begin to retract the steps before even hitting the stops.

The linkage length in the picture seems close to optimal, although it could be a little shorter, which would allow a little more rotation. Interestingly, when the linkage is at a perfect 90 degrees, all the load from the stops and passenger weight goes into the pivot pin and not the motor gears. Hence the problem on the older design where the pivot pin shears off!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160725_163258.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	118033  

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #14

Had the same problem on my 329 Georgetown. Dealer replaced motor/gears for $106.00 which I thought wasn't bad. Unit is 2 years old and it shouldn't have had issues yet. I tried to replace it my self, but couldn't. This was just before the FROG Rally in Goshen. Our neighbors had the same year and model Georgetown as ours, only 2 months newer and they had the entire steps replaced for free!! I should have waited. Live and learn.
Days Camped 2015 = 57
Days Camped 2016 = 53[SIGPIC]
MSB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #15

Don't know why they replaced the entire step unit, only the motor is bad.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #16

The steps were also rusting out and one pivot bolt was broke off. Owner put a bolt in to keep steps working until he could get to the Rally.

Days Camped 2015 = 57
Days Camped 2016 = 53[SIGPIC]
MSB68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty