Old 09-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #1

"Camping World Plans to Sell, Repurpose, or Close Up to 37 Locations"

Looks like CW is trimming down... Maybe their sales are off a bit? See Here

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:13 PM   #2

Gee, wonder why....prices suck, personnel......(this is a family friendly forum)...

Old 09-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
Canadian Member

This just says to me that they make a lot more profit selling and servicing RVs. Their stores that don’t do either don’t make them enough profit to be worth the effort since they have to compete with Amazon and Walmart in the aftermarket accessories market.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
This just says to me that they make a lot more profit selling and servicing RVs. Their stores that donít do either donít make them enough profit to be worth the effort since they have to compete with Amazon and Walmart in the aftermarket accessories market.

I would tend to disagree, the last several items I've purchased came from CW's online store with the best price. Amazon is rarely competitive on RV stuff, I can beat Amazon prime prices in several places for RV related parts or accessories. My impression is they're in trouble in general and over extended and trying to get back to their core business model. But the problem still remains they have substandard techs that will work for peanuts and a horrible track record for post-sales service. If the economy down turns over the next 18 months or so I think CW will be cash strapped and may have to pack it in. In any case Lemonis will walk away crazy wealthy because he's already pulled his money out of the company.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #5

No interest in their success. However, "repurpose" probably means changing to "Gander RV". I've seen several.

Change your name, hide your flaws, a business model taught in some places.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #6

Sounds like CW wants to push dealership/repair priorities.
"... plan to strategically shift away from locations where the company does not have the ability or where it is not feasible to sell and/or service RVs." and ďWe believe the sale and/or servicing of recreational vehicles is our core and most important offering .... said Marcus A. Lemonis, chairman and CEO."

That explains my last visit to a CW. There are three CW locations in the Portland, OR metro area. I rarely visit the one in Hillsboro, OR but was in the area a few weeks ago and stopped by to get a water filter --- to find that they have reduced the product/accessories store to ~ 12'x12' room; basically consumable items like TP or tank additives, etc.. Less choice than an average Walmart. The clerk said that eventually they will do away with even that. Leaves that location a dealership/repair shop only. And it is a very large piece of property. I guess they are losing money (or not making a desirable profit) in their stores.

gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:26 PM   #7

Simpson Hardware in Sumter, SC just added RV items. Their prices are comparable to Camping World and Amazon. Aisle 12. Ask for Johnny.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #8

Probably mis-managed. If I am reading their financial statement correctly they are in trouble. Since 2015 net profit has gone from $174 million to $10 million.

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/cwh/fi...come-statement
Old 09-05-2019, 07:16 AM   #9
Retired Panpsychist

Interesting. I heard that a local, family-owned RV dealer in our area has just sold their entire business to CW. They have a huge inventory (Winnie, Cougar and similar) and a small parts & accessories space. They also have a huge service department with a very good reputation.

We didn't buy there since they don't carry Rockwood or Shamrock.

I'll stay tuned...

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper")
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A)
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #10

RV Industry Collapsing Under Its Own Weight!

It is my view that the entire RV industry is at risk of collapsing under its own weight. On the sales side, there are far too many models, manufacturers, and types offering the same choices to the marketplace. On the service side, the infinite number of models and types need some considerable consolidation and centralization to solve the four-month wait for parts that should not be that unique. There needs to be a massive consolidation and reduction of the number of choices to those that are really different from each other. Finally, the industry needs to understand that if you're purchasing a $50k to $120k vehicle, you need to be treated like someone spending that kind of money. No car dealer worth anything could get away with selling you a $90k unit and not having the unit completely detailed and clean when you pick it up, not having a showroom with comforts, not having a sales force that looks and acts professional, not having a thorough PDI team that really cares about you knowing the vehicle, etc. Instead, most RV dealerships on both the sales and service side are more like Grade B used car shops. You'd think CW and the others would see things from our side of the transaction.

ronaleh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, cat, location