Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2017, 07:36 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
While I'm a small business 'owner' and enjoy the company of my small business owner friends, especially when morning coffee is involved... I don't understand, though, the constant putting down of a successful nationwide business, like CW, or even WMT. They have done what the smaller business owners have not been able to do... but that itself does not, and should not, make them an 'enemy'.

Years ago, many years ago, many of us here will remember, as our grandparents and great grandparents did, a company out of Chicago changed the nation. It allowed folks to order exactly what the wanted, at the price printed and advertised, and have it mailed or delivered. Every small business owner had the same exact response and aggravation as small businesses do today when this company started taking 'their' sales.
It's understandable to be aggravated, but these 'new' companies would NOT be successful if our neighbors, friends, coworkers, relatives, and other 'campers' did not do so much business with them!

CW, as WMT did for many things, is branding the RV retail world as it never has been before. They have built a series of nationwide, easily accessible retail businesses that gives the RVing world a choice, a true 'retail' store, and the ability to have a 'known' place to do business.
True, there are a LOT of RV dealers around the country - I mean a LOT! but, unfortunately, they have for 50 years been mostly small dealers, with much less inventory, and personnel, to attract the majority of the public's eye. CW has made inroads for the RV lifestyle at large by bringing attention to the lifestyle, the availability of many brands and styles, and creating an easy 'brand' for most folks within 50-100 miles. With CW, you know what you are going to get, what you will find when you arrive, for the most part. With smaller RV dealers, though, it's been much more of an unknown.

Some of us enjoy supporting our local businesses, including our local RV dealers, and some of us enjoy the 'experience' at larger dealers and retail stores. The same can be said for the local TrueValue or Ace hardware stores, versus buying at the Lowes and Home Depots down the street.

Has Lowes or Home Depot ticked you off lately? Do we go online and bash either or both of them for taking out our local small town small business owners?

Did SEARS hurt the feelings of your grandparents years ago because they owned a small business that was hurt by the 'new' nationwide chain? Probably.
It does affect all of us, but change in the retail world is never bad, but it is a new change, and that can sometimes hurt our feelings.

I agree that we should support our local businesses, whether large or small, but we should also learn from the past and understand that when things stay the same, WE, again, are the ones that complain.
I think you're missing the point. No one trusts CW because they have consistently been a poor representative in the RV industry by selling at highly inflated prices, and deceptive sale practices, along with mediocre to poor service to the average retail customer.
Everyone has watched and suffered as the Airlines have consolidated and service has gone to hell. Why would we invite such a thing into the RV industry so many of us have depended on for our recreation.
With fewer choices comes more abuse of the industry. CW is well known for it's abuse of the industry. They are definitely not going to revolutionize RV'ing life for the average guy. They are just going to see to it that we all have to pay more for less.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #42

I'll be picking up my 3rd rv from CW in Myrtle Beach in a couple weeks as no one beats their price. The service at that location has been great. I buy from their store as well, supplies when on sale. Have not set foot in Walmart in 35 years and would not if the stuff was free. Amazon prime , 5 of the last 6 items purchased online were found for less even if shippping cost included. Not full time, about 7 months a year. Every CW is different but when you find a good one be happy. Complaints, CW in Myrtle will sell over 2000 units this year times how many locations? Compare numbers and CW will have more complaints as they have many more customers. How many others sell that many a year or even a decade?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #43

overton takeover

Hi. Just finished reading thread about camping world. And after went to my email and low and behold was a notice from overton's stating they are now a C.W. and Good Sam company.... What's Next! Wow! talk about monopoly's this is b.s.Sorry but that's how I feel.
jack450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:44 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack450 View Post
Hi. Just finished reading thread about camping world. And after went to my email and low and behold was a notice from overton's stating they are now a C.W. and Good Sam company.... What's Next! Wow! talk about monopoly's this is b.s.Sorry but that's how I feel.
If Gander Mountain / Overton had been able to be a success they would not have gone under for CW to buy
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMMull View Post
Can you tell us the dealers name?
It's McGeorge Rolling Hills RV in Ashland Virginia.
Brownie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #46

From what I saw the few times I was @ Gander Mountain there prices were very high !!!
And they had very few customers !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #47

I believe it's called free enterprise. It's one of the things that makes this country great. Vote with your pocket book. By the way, I don't shop at CW myself.
Steppenout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #48

CW is also buying Gander Mountain. Press release stated most existing GM stores will not reopen. GM is one of my favorite stores.
mikec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #49

not ony have they acquired Gander Mountain they are selling an additional 10 millions shares of stock at about $27/ Share (per offer from Fidelity) so appears they will continue expansion.
gradeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #50

This happened at an RV business (Meyre's RV) in upstate NY.

From the Meyre's RV website:

"Meyer’s RV Superstores is a locally owned business founded by the Meyer family. We were the recognized leader of RV products and services for over 40 years and were purchased by Camping World in 2004. Recently Mark Meyer reassembled the team including Mark Calzone, Mike Magee and Adam Palmer and purchased the dealerships in Rochester and Bath."

The two dealerships mentioned, Rochester and Bath, were purchased from Meyers by CW in 2004. Meyers then bought them from CW around 2015. Sort of the reverse of what's happening today within the evolution of the RV business. But things could change from one day to the next in today's business environment.
https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Markus Lemonis took Camping World public in the fall of last year. The sale of the stock provided a huge amount of cash. I believe he plans to make Camping World the Walmart of the RV sales industry. This is just my opinion of course.

In the St. Louis area Camping World wanted to buy out Bill Thomas Campers located just off Interstate 70 but the deal didn’t go through so Camping World built a new dealership just off Interstate 70 and just one mile away.
Then they better get better prices and quit charging labor rates like thier brain surgeons.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:05 AM   #52

It certainly is different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
I think you're missing the point. No one trusts CW because they have consistently been a poor representative in the RV industry by selling at highly inflated prices, and deceptive sale practices, along with mediocre to poor service to the average retail customer.
Everyone has watched and suffered as the Airlines have consolidated and service has gone to hell. Why would we invite such a thing into the RV industry so many of us have depended on for our recreation.
With fewer choices comes more abuse of the industry. CW is well known for it's abuse of the industry. They are definitely not going to revolutionize RV'ing life for the average guy. They are just going to see to it that we all have to pay more for less.
As someone who has made a career in the airline industry, I must take exception to your portrayal.

Prior to the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978, routes and fares were set by the Government. Airlines made money at load factors of under 60%. Once the act was enabled, any airline could fly anywhere at any fare. The airlines beat each other up, new entrants that were poorly capitalized gave away seats and the end result was bankruptcy at one time or another for most of the airlines. Many did not survive.

The consumer made a choice. They wanted $99 coast to coast fares with first class seats, champagne, Sully and Skiles as their pilots and Christina Ricci as their flight attendant. And for some time and on some airlines, they got their wish. It drove most of the airlines to bankruptcy, including mine. I took a pay cut of over 50% and lost my pension. Yeah I know most of you are saying boo-hoo.

Fast forward to today. Airplanes are full because the airlines need to fill 85% of their seats to make money. College kids can afford to fly to Cancun for spring break. People who used to ride Greyhound now fly to grandmas for Thanksgiving. The airlines gave you what you wanted. But to make a profit (stockholders seem to demand that, you know), we had to unbundle services (so you get bag and change fees), cram more seats onto airplanes and charge for everything (you call it nickel and diming). To those who complain - I say buy a full fare ticket, a first class seat and/or get an airline-branded credit card - that way you can avoid the fees many find so unacceptable.

Don't know if you believe statistics (lies, damn lies and statistics) - but airline service is at a 10 year high according to J.D. Power. So while expectations have clearly been lowered, the airlines seem to be a good job of at least meeting (and in the case of my airline- exceeding) them.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Maybe the RV industry is like the airlines - you can have any RV you want as long as it's made by FR or Jayco/Thor and you can buy it anywhere as long as it's CW. But you always have a choice not to buy at all...
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:17 AM   #53
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Markus Lemonis took Camping World public in the fall of last year. The sale of the stock provided a huge amount of cash. I believe he plans to make Camping World the Walmart of the RV sales industry. This is just my opinion of course.

In the St. Louis area Camping World wanted to buy out Bill Thomas Campers located just off Interstate 70 but the deal didn’t go through so Camping World built a new dealership just off Interstate 70 and just one mile away.
Was just notified that Markus Lemonis bought the bankrupt Gander Mountain and will merge it with his Camping World and Good Sam businesses.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #54
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
I say buy a full fare ticket, a first class seat and/or get an airline-branded credit card - that way you can avoid the fees many find so unacceptable. .
Or, do as I did, buy an RV, forget the airlines, and take your time to get to your destination.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:20 AM   #55

Right On S J Scheinin !!!
Old 05-31-2017, 10:51 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
Or, do as I did, buy an RV, forget the airlines, and take your time to get to your destination.
I bought an RV as well and I get to fly for free.

That being said, it's kind of difficult to get from Miami to Seattle and back in time for work on a 3 day weekend in your RV. Not so hard with the airlines...
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:11 AM   #57

Quote:
I bought an RV as well and I get to fly for free.

That being said, it's kind of difficult to get from Miami to Seattle and back in time for work on a 3 day weekend in your RV. Not so hard with the airlines...
Maybe you need to weekend a little closer to home ???
LOL !!!
Old 06-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #58

non reving good times lol
Fly YX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #59

Quote:
As someone who has made a career in the airline industry, I must take exception to your portrayal.

Prior to the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978, routes and fares were set by the Government. Airlines made money at load factors of under 60%. Once the act was enabled, any airline could fly anywhere at any fare. The airlines beat each other up, new entrants that were poorly capitalized gave away seats and the end result was bankruptcy at one time or another for most of the airlines. Many did not survive.

The consumer made a choice. They wanted $99 coast to coast fares with first class seats, champagne, Sully and Skiles as their pilots and Christina Ricci as their flight attendant. And for some time and on some airlines, they got their wish. It drove most of the airlines to bankruptcy, including mine. I took a pay cut of over 50% and lost my pension. Yeah I know most of you are saying boo-hoo.

Fast forward to today. Airplanes are full because the airlines need to fill 85% of their seats to make money. College kids can afford to fly to Cancun for spring break. People who used to ride Greyhound now fly to grandmas for Thanksgiving. The airlines gave you what you wanted. But to make a profit (stockholders seem to demand that, you know), we had to unbundle services (so you get bag and change fees), cram more seats onto airplanes and charge for everything (you call it nickel and diming). To those who complain - I say buy a full fare ticket, a first class seat and/or get an airline-branded credit card - that way you can avoid the fees many find so unacceptable.

Don't know if you believe statistics (lies, damn lies and statistics) - but airline service is at a 10 year high according to J.D. Power. So while expectations have clearly been lowered, the airlines seem to be a good job of at least meeting (and in the case of my airline- exceeding) them.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Maybe the RV industry is like the airlines - you can have any RV you want as long as it's made by FR or Jayco/Thor and you can buy it anywhere as long as it's CW. But you always have a choice not to buy at all...
Think maybe your issue with your pension was more the gutting of airline assets by people like Frank Lorenzo who sold company's assets like Continental into the ground, (including your pension assets). I am sympathetic to your loss in that regard. I vote with my dollars and I fly only when I have to. I consider the comfort and customer service of the airlines below what the consumer should expect, and I will treat CW with the same respect I have for the airlines today, assuming they stick to the model they have used currently. Accepting lousy service for profit is just not a good thing. Makes you wonder the direction we are going.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #60

I know getting off topic here but I did start the post, lol

My Father worked for TWA, retired in 1988, somewhere around there before it went belly up. In fact my Father worked for Howard Hughes who owned TWA then the Govt. told him he had to sell it. I can see what KatanaPilot is stating. Been told by a certain Travel Agency that TWA had class and loved working with them but then people who don't know the business ruined it.
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping