Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #1

Change Coming in Dump Configuration???

Hi,

I am camped in a brand new, small RV park in central Missouri. The individual dump ststions for each site are at the very rear of the site -- requiring me to use every inch of slinky I have to get from my dump outlet, which is located in front of the axles on my 36 foot unit, to the actual sewer fitting in the ground.

Upon being asked about this sort of inconvenient location for dumping, the owner told me that he built the campground this way in anticipation of an industry wide change that is coming. He said that starting next year, all RVs will be built with the dump outlet on the rear left of the rig, and that no rigs will be built with the dump outlets anywhere else.

This seems strange to me. Has anyone else heard authoritatively that this change is coming?

Color me curious....

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Probably just the owner finding it easier to run single trunk with many outlets than individual branches for each site. I've been in a few places like this and on dump day (Sundays for the weekend warriors like us) it can get pretty stinky with everyone dumping into the same line like that.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #3

Hi Kaadk,

My thought exactly, as I looked at the layout he chose.

And don't you love it when the dump hole is right next to the fresh water outlet and power station -- with no concrete apron or any other way to contain the inevitable drippage/spillage as it drizzes into the grass?

Regardless, I wanted to see if anyone had heard there was indeed a change coming.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I carry 40ft. of sewer hose...

You never know when you might need it all!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Upon being asked about this sort of inconvenient location for dumping, the owner told me that he built the campground this way in anticipation of an industry wide change that is coming. He said that starting next year, all RVs will be built with the dump outlet on the rear left of the rig, and that no rigs will be built with the dump outlets anywhere else.

This seems strange to me. Has anyone else heard authoritatively that this change is coming?
I can't see this happening ever. There is literally nothing standard across all RVs in the industry as far as where they put things.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #6

I cant imagine that, unless there is some new and ridiculous government regulation coming. That would require the bathroom to be at the rear (unless there is some more elaborate plumbing). Ours is, and we love our floor plan. But the huge variety in floor plans is a hallmark of the industry.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #7

I have also heard from a reliable source that beginning next season the sun will begin to rise in the west and set in the east. I'm guessing that's more likely than RV manufacturers standardizing anything.
Adrian Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I can't see this happening ever. There is literally nothing standard across all RVs in the industry as far as where they put things.

Gotta agree with that. An RV manufacturer with standards? Reminds me of about a million lawyer jokes where I could substitute "rv manufacturer" for lawyer. Next thing you will be telling me is that they are considering a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty on a $50,000 rv.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #9

Doubt it. Sounds like he made up the answer because he's tired of the question. I've seen a number of parks with that setup. Probably has more to do with ease of construction than RV convenience. Like others, I carry another section of hose.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #10

That would be a wonderful standard if actually adopted. When it comes to RV utilities, there actually should be some standardization in the industry and in the field. A “free-for-all” makes little sense when every connection in the field is a crap shoot at best. And please don’t steal my sewer connection because you don’t carry 40 feet or more of sewer hose in your land yacht.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshaft View Post
That would be a wonderful standard if actually adopted. When it comes to RV utilities, there actually should be some standardization in the industry and in the field. A “free-for-all” makes little sense when every connection in the field is a crap shoot at best. And please don’t steal my sewer connection because you don’t carry 40 feet or more of sewer hose in your land yacht.
Chances are you'll never find a sewer, water or electrical any further than 40 feet from the RV.

It is our job to carry enough backup to cover different circumstances.

If you find yourself short, there is nobody else to blame.

My first TT had the electrical plug come out of the front off-door side of the trailer...my last two it came out of the very back wall.

Which means that if I were still using that old Coachman I'd need at least 26 more feet of electrical cord to reach where I can now.

I now have the 25-ft 30 amp cord that came with my 5'ver, plus a 30-ft 30 amp extension cord to CMA...have needed it three times in the last three years (two of those times in the last three months)!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
I have also heard from a reliable source that beginning next season the sun will begin to rise in the west and set in the east. I'm guessing that's more likely than RV manufacturers standardizing anything.

Hitch goes on the front. Door on the curb side. Wheels underneath.

Yep, that's about as much standardization your gonna find in the RV world.
(and the door thing is getting questionable. I have seen units with a second door on the street side.)

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #13

another 'I 'heard' that on the internet'....sorry, but this would be way off...there is no 'authority' that requires manufactures to do ANYTHING...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #14
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Chances are you'll never find a sewer, water or electrical any further than 40 feet from the RV.
"B" loop, Hwy K campground, Annapolis Missouri, sites B8-B12... You better bring about 60+ feet of extension cord. Right by the Black River, they moved the pedestals way up the hill to keep them out of flood waters.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #15

Well, it does appear that main access doors are on the passenger side and all connections to power, water and sewage are on the driver's side. I have had many sites with the sewer connection at the rear of the unit but I think it only simplifies park layout and allows sites to be built without a separate 4 inch pipe going down the side of each and every unit.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #16

That is coming soon, or when pigs fly........................ Wait it has got to be true it was on the internet...........

Wait he is telling you the 1980s news both of our early campers the 1973 and 1988 campers had the waste dumps at the rear on the side....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

It is our job to carry enough backup to cover different circumstances.

If you find yourself short, there is nobody else to blame.

My first TT had the electrical plug come out of the front off-door side of the trailer...my last two it came out of the very back wall.

Which means that if I were still using that old Coachman I'd need at least 26 more feet of electrical cord to reach where I can now.

I now have the 25-ft 30 amp cord that came with my 5'ver, plus a 30-ft 30 amp extension cord to CMA...have needed it three times in the last three years (two of those times in the last three months)!
I've been in a few State/Provincial parks where I've needed my full 50' extension cord to 'just' reach the power pedestal. But those typically don't have water/sewer to worry about, just power. In RV parks, I often find the utilities 'too' close, and sometimes have to reposition my rig so the slides can all open.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #18

Only one place that we go has the sewer at the rear and we need an extra length of hose. Most of them are in the rear third of the space.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Hitch goes on the front. Door on the curb side. Wheels underneath.

Yep, that's about as much standardization your gonna find in the RV world.
(and the door thing is getting questionable. I have seen units with a second door on the street side.)

Tim
We had a wildwood that had a "back door" in the bunkhouse. We loved it. Don't see many like it.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #20

Dump connection in the rear would be great. Don't bother stopping at the dump station just pull into a fast food with steep drive apron.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote