Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
In reference to the OP's original post some months beck, NFPA standard 1192 covers plumbing systems in RVs and specifies exactly where a sewer connection is to be located. NFPA 1194 covers RV parks and specifies exactly where sewer inlets in the ground are to be located. Exact details can be found in the two standards http://hamyarenergy.com/static/fckim...20-%202005.pdf and http://hamyarenergy.com/static/fckim...20-%202005.pdf

These are 2005 editions (free on the internet) and am not aware of changes affecting sewer locations on RVs and in RV parks. FWIW, the NEC similarly specifies the locations for electrical connection points on RVs and in RV parks.

A CG owner does not get to choose where they want to put sewer inlets and pedestals.
Then why are there so many different configurations?

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #102

Don't think we will see that change taking hold anywhere soon.

Actually probably never.

M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Yes there are standards but they are not necessarily law but that can be a whole other discussion.

Agree! And it's complicated...

Things just don't get inspected like they ought to be and there's no gov't agency to complain to. Same with electrical work.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Then why are there so many different configurations?
Oops, looks like I provided the wrong link for NFPA 1192, the standard for RV construction which should have been. http://hamyarenergy.com/static/fckim...20-%202005.pdf

Section 7.3.8.3 (water) says "The water service connection, if provided, shall be located on the left road side or at the rear of the recreational vehicle within 18 in. (45 *mm) of the outside wall."

Section 7.5.7.3 (sewer) says "Each recreational vehicle shall have a main drain outlet(s) that shall terminate at any point within 22.5 ft (6.9 m) of the rear, on the left (road) side or at the rear left of the longitudinal center of the vehicle within 18 in. (457.2 mm) of the outside wall."

We have the main sewer outlet ahead of the axles and the rear galley outlet is about a foot from the rear. It's a bit of a PITA to move the hose but not too bad. I'd connect the two outlets together if the axles weren't in the way. The biggest annoyance is that the main outlet is under the slide and I have to get on my knees to reach it... I usually try to hook the hose up before running the slide out.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

I am camped in a brand new, small RV park in central Missouri. The individual dump ststions for each site are at the very rear of the site -- requiring me to use every inch of slinky I have to get from my dump outlet, which is located in front of the axles on my 36 foot unit, to the actual sewer fitting in the ground.

Upon being asked about this sort of inconvenient location for dumping, the owner told me that he built the campground this way in anticipation of an industry wide change that is coming. He said that starting next year, all RVs will be built with the dump outlet on the rear left of the rig, and that no rigs will be built with the dump outlets anywhere else.

This seems strange to me. Has anyone else heard authoritatively that this change is coming?

Color me curious....

Rich Phillips

Is this a new campground or,sewer run at the CG?
Old 08-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #106

Hi mwdilday,

It was a small, new (first season in operation) campground. I think the guy is trying to offer a necessary service in his town, and he made some design decisions that helped on his construction costs.

What my BS meter picked up about his rationale for this sewer location has largely been borne out in the responsive posts in this thread. But I coped, and I'm sure others will too.

Have a good one.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #107

I find sewer connections all over the place at campgrounds. Normally they are centered or towards the rear. The CG we are at now has two spaced apart. Seems like the sewer connection should be near center on the RV but I expect the floorplan dictates where it will be somewhat.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Agree! And it's complicated...

Things just don't get inspected like they ought to be and there's no gov't agency to complain to. Same with electrical work.
Unless we're in some really hick place electrical work would be inspected by a City or County building inspector.

M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Same here, although would do it if I had the right funnel!

By the way, I am originally from southern Michigan (Jackson)...been gone for 26 years, though!

Was just back there two weeks ago and made a stop to see Warren Dunes for the last time on the way out.
Pretty warm in Yuma these days hey ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #110

Quote:
That is an interesting idea, although my outside shower is on the very back wall dead center of my 5'ver, and the water pump is clear up front in the basement.

Although a long hose might do the trick.
Had you thought about something like a couple of hooks,,,attached to your RV,,, and a small bungee to hold the funnel ???

Or maybe you could attach the funnel to a step ladder ???

Old 08-09-2018, 08:37 AM   #111
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Pretty warm in Yuma these days hey ???
Yup!

Was 116 on my porch yesterday...

Ready for the freezing cold winter down here...will be my first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Had you thought about something like a couple of hooks,,,attached to your RV,,, and a small bungee to hold the funnel ???

Or maybe you could attach the funnel to a step ladder ???

That might work...

I do always carry a 6-ft step ladder in the truck when pulling the 5'ver.

Haven't needed to use the jugs in a couple years for filling the fresh water tank, but this winter (which, as you know, will be camping season down here), maybe I'll work something out!

Since I'm new to Arizona I now need to start discovering where the cool places are to park my RV for a few days at a time.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #112

[QUOTE=Mountainmanbob;1895318]Unless we're in some really hick place electrical work would be inspected by a City or County building inspector. I'm referring to electrical work done at the RV factories - no inspections done by an AHJ (authority having jurisdiction). I've found a LOT of bad electrical workmanship in our TT that'd never happen in building construction. New electrical work in CGs def. gets inspected (while routine maintenance work doesn't).
Old 08-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #113

Quote:
Yup!

Was 116 on my porch yesterday...

Ready for the freezing cold winter down here...will be my first!

That might work...

I do always carry a 6-ft step ladder in the truck when pulling the 5'ver.

Haven't needed to use the jugs in a couple years for filling the fresh water tank, but this winter (which, as you know, will be camping season down here), maybe I'll work something out!

Since I'm new to Arizona I now need to start discovering where the cool places are to park my RV for a few days at a time.
I would head North to the Mountains !!!

Old 08-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Probably just the owner finding it easier to run single trunk with many outlets than individual branches for each site. I've been in a few places like this and on dump day (Sundays for the weekend warriors like us) it can get pretty stinky with everyone dumping into the same line like that.
Stayed in an older campground like that, pity the guy that was on the downhill end of the pipe the Sunday morning I was there.

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRalph View Post
Stayed in an older campground like that, pity the guy that was on the downhill end of the pipe the Sunday morning I was there.
Why so? What happened for your pity that Sunday morning?
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #116

Two lowest downhill dump pipes overflowed into campsite as the folks uphill dumped.

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #117
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRalph View Post

Two lowest downhill dump pipes overflowed into campsite as the folks uphill dumped.
One more reason why RV'ers SHOULD NOT leave any of their tanks open until it is time to dump.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #118

Quote:
I've tried them all...and I've modified several trying to make them work.

And there is nothing out there that can be used by one person that will allow both hands to hold a heavy 6-8 gallon water jug.

They all require two people...one to hold the funnel and the other to pour the water.

Unless you like wet shoes...
I just this weekend ran into this issue where I needed to refill and went out and got a Scepter 5 Gallon can with spout, which is just like a plastic Jerry Can but without all the stupid "safety features", the nozzle goes right into the fill port and easily dumps pretty much the entire contents of the jug and you can use the spout to support some of the weight. It could use another handle on the back but it's pretty good, and it has a vent so the water flows without gurgling.

(got mine for $30 at West Marine out of desperation, but it looks like you can get one for $20 including shipping)

https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-04933...ptre+water+can
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71eGhJrztiS._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	183501  
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
I just this weekend ran into this issue where I needed to refill and went out and got a Scepter 5 Gallon can with spout, which is just like a plastic Jerry Can but without all the stupid "safety features", the nozzle goes right into the fill port and easily dumps pretty much the entire contents of the jug and you can use the spout to support some of the weight. It could use another handle on the back but it's pretty good, and it has a vent so the water flows without gurgling.

(got mine for $30 at West Marine out of desperation, but it looks like you can get one for $20 including shipping)

https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-04933...ptre+water+can
I have 5 very similar water cans. 6 gallons a piece with a little shorter spout. Cans empty quickly into the tank and easily done by one person. No mess. Plus they fit perfectly in the front of the truck bed along with two gas cans.

We boondock mostly and these allow us to have 50 gallons in tank plus these 30 gallons extra before we have to find somewhere to fill them up.

While dry camping we typically use 90-100 gallons a week for the two of us. Love these cans.

I do have friends that use different types of pumps. All much slower than just dumping them in
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I have 5 very similar water cans. 6 gallons a piece with a little shorter spout. Cans empty quickly into the tank and easily done by one person. No mess. Plus they fit perfectly in the front of the truck bed along with two gas cans.

We boondock mostly and these allow us to have 50 gallons in tank plus these 30 gallons extra before we have to find somewhere to fill them up.

While dry camping we typically use 90-100 gallons a week for the two of us. Love these cans.

I do have friends that use different types of pumps. All much slower than just dumping them in
Got 5 of those in the basement,,, do not use them anymore,,,
since we sold our land up North !!!