Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #1

Disappointing Air Conditioner in 365 SAQ

We purchased a 2012 Sierra 365 SAQ this past month. On our first trip out we were extremely disappointed in the main ac unit. It took a full day for the kids to be able to play in their room, let alone sleep in it! We are experienced campers and thought we were upgrading to 'the best' but we find ourselves missing our old trailer. We have talked with the dealer about installing a ceiling mounted unit, like the one in the master, into the kids' room. Before we take such a drastic step, do any of you have any tricks you could share? Is this as good as it gets?
Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:54 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Increase a/c vent air flow by 75%-100%

Go to Forest River Tech Talk, under that heading look at MODS & UPDATES at a post dated 6-5-2011 by DAISY BOYKIN. There is a mod to enlarge the air flow in the plenum box for the A/C.

I completed mine & it increased the air flow by 75%-100%. Pictures are posted.

You can P/M me for more update to the mod.

Sid
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #3

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...5-a-13490.html
2011 Surveyor 304
g0tr00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Thanks David

Thanks David!

Since the original post, I have improved the air flow even more by using a good "RASP" file to taper or slope the foam more.

Good luck!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #5

Thank you

Thanks, Sid. We are going to look further into this!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #6

I just picked up our 365SAQ on August 14th. We too are disappointed in the main AC unit. The master bedroom unit keeps that area cold, but the back bedroom / bunkhouse and the main living area really struggle to get cool. This is our first 5th wheel but my old Montana Travel Trailer could get cooled down in an hour or so. This runs for 10 hours and still struggles. I did see the post for the mod and I will take a look into it but I think as many people that seem to have problems should post so Forest River knows there is an issue.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #7

@cmptrkd- Since my last post I have done a few mods to help the4 a/c out. Nothing major! I lined all the windows with blackout curtain liner from the fabric store ($10/yrd=$100 total spent) and it helped tremendously! I'm not a sewer so I actually just used heavy duty velcroe so I can take it off if I want. I also bought vent pillows. Worldwide Merchandise Company - Vent Cushion - Fan and Vent Accessories - Camping World They are basically foam cusions that fit up in the vents of the living, back bedroom and both bathrooms. They block out all the light so the kids sleep better, too. We still aren't happy with the main unit, but these have helped more than I ever thought they would. We keep our unit running at 55 and it has never dropped below 75. There are certainly real issues Forrest River needs to work on!!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #8

Today I decided to take a look at the mod that was posted and see what my unit looked like with the cover off to see if I had the air restriction. I know someone posted on the page that contained the mod that Forest River was investigating, and my unit being built July 11th, I was hoping they had fixed the air restriction problem.

As I got up on a step ladder to remove the cover on the inside, I happened to (for whatever reason) pull a vent over off the nearest vent first. Much to my amazement, there was plenty of air flow, great force, but there was aluminum tape on the inside of the air vent to wrap around the hole in the ceiling and it was either not pressed back down on itself, or had come back so the tape was sticking straight up and down, therefore restricting the majority of airflow. I pressed the tape back down inside the went channel running through the ceiling and was amazed the the air flow after. Another problem I noticed is my front most vent, and rear most vent didn't end at the vent. Instead the channel ran right past the vent and continued on to ? no where? I didn't have any insulation, but I had a couple plain t-shirts which I stuffed up there to block the air from continuing to blow past the vents to no where.

So far I am amazed at the difference. I ended up not even pulling the inside ac down, but will be keeping an eye on the cooling to see if we're good from here or not.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #9

@cmptrkd- I had forgotten about the vent situation! My husband did the exact same thing. The tape was just the same in ours and we also put old tshirts in the back bedroom vents to stop the air flow from going to 'nowhere'. Why Forrest River would allow all that empty space behind the vent is a mystery! We have also blocked the airflow with tshirts in the 2nd bathroom for now. We are trying just about anything in this 115* West Texas heat. Please continue to post if you come across anymore mods or if you hear of Forrest River finding solutions.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #10

does anyone feel this issue was resolved in the 2012
ta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #11

@ta99- No, nothing has been resolved. Our trailer has been in the shop more than we have camped in it. From the smallest things; the dvd not being wired in, 4 cabinet doors replaced from warping, water heater element went out, and the horrific excuse of an a/c. As far as I know Forest River has not come up with any solution. Our dealer says they told them the a/c needs to run for 24 hrs to obtain optimal temperature. Really?! In a West Texas summer we need it to work immediately! We camped in it for two weeks on the Gulf Coast and we were comfortable in the humid sea air. It ran constantly at 55 and never got below 75. To our surprise, there were three other 365s camping at the same time. We all discussed our likes and dislikes and shared our problems. Out of the four of us, only one family had no problems in the 3 months they had their unit. Another family had so many issues they were working with an attorney to get an entirely different unit! I try to remind myself we did have a HOT Texas summer and that had a lot to do with the a/c, but it has issues for sure. This trailer certainly turns heads going down the road, but if you are planning to buy one be sure you have a great dealer who will be willing to work out all the kinks. We are hoping that we get everything worked out in this first year. All in all, our family of 5 enjoys the space and features of this trailer, but sometimes we find ourselves wishing we had gone with the Open Road.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #12

Please increase ac went air flow.
Rexi1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #13

I talked with Jeff from Forest River in the warranty department. He had us install another vent in the kitchen. It didn't seem to help the problem very much still gets warm.
williamsrw2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
365, 365 saq, air conditioner