Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Yeah, Passport America. We recently joined for a small fee but upon getting their directory learned that most campgrounds black out the benefits on weekends, make you pay cash, don't take reservations for the benefit days, only allow a couple of benefit days at a time, etc. Maybe we'll end up getting our money back in savings, but I doubt we'll do it again.
Good to know, I was contemplating if they were worth picking up this year. We already have the Good Sam and KOA ones, since I saved the cost of the GS one in one purchase at Camping World and we stayed at enough KOAs to warrant theirs (6+ nights?). Passport America's 50% off was very tempting, but if we can't use it on weekends, I wouldn't get any use out of it.
__________________

__________________
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
mjones12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Good to know, I was contemplating if they were worth picking up this year. We already have the Good Sam and KOA ones, since I saved the cost of the GS one in one purchase at Camping World and we stayed at enough KOAs to warrant theirs (6+ nights?). Passport America's 50% off was very tempting, but if we can't use it on weekends, I wouldn't get any use out of it.

I'm sure there are some campgrounds that honor it on weekends, but the blackouts I described seemed to be the rule rather than the exception. No way to know until you join and receive (for an extra fee and shipping costs) the directory. You can get a list of participating campgrounds on the website, but not the individual details.
__________________

__________________
2018 Coachmen Apex 249 RBS
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8


The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
KDHfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 964
I'm of the opinion that it would be a sign of weeding the lessor campgrounds out. I think the reasonably priced CG's that offer full amenities are doing quite well. Others, not so well. However, in my opinion, two things are the main reasons I give a CG a pass or fail rating... Overall cleanliness and staff friendliness. If they have those two, I can overlook a lot.

I also think campgrounds with no web presence are really behind the times. Not saying it is a make-or-break (although it could be for some), but... Just 1-3 additional reservations per night is thousands of dollars per year. I almost always check the web first when I'm planning a trip. I think the PA State Parks system has, arguably, the best reservation system out there. Plug in your dates and they tell you what's available, along with levelness, shade/sun, distance to bathrooms/bath house/park, and some even have a picture of each site!... Very well done.
__________________
2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L
KDHfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
prof_fate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 911
ROD - resorts of distinction
ACN - adventure camping network
AOR - adventure outdoor resorts

AOR/ACN for us has two levels - $129 and $159 if I recall. $129 is annual membership and gets you access to both at $10/night. $159 gets you free nights (all of them) at AOR resorts. Other ROD resorts are free regardless.

Pymatuning Valley Resort (may be Adventure in there...) was AOR. it's now $45/night.

We've stayed at 4 'resorts' and they're way better than most public CGs - better 'crowd', most all activities are free (Pymatuning has a water park attached - as a camper it was like $2 to go vs $10)

The few 'normal' CGs we've stayed at have very different atmospheres - a lot of seasonal campers and more golf cart traffic than I see at christmas at the mall. Before joining our resort we did stay at a nice CG near there - $90/night on weekends though. All the roads are paved and they generally keep the seasonal folks in one area. But everything costs money and if you have kids as we do you can go broke in a hurry.
__________________
Chris, Wills (16) Evie (13) & Toby our collie (6)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #15
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
I also think campgrounds with no web presence are really behind the times. Not saying it is a make-or-break (although it could be for some)
IMO, if you don't have a web site, you likely don't exist to me unless I've heard about you from other resources (aka people on this forum!). If your website isn't usable or helpful and I'm researching far away places, I very likely aren't calling you (99% of my trip planning happens after 10pm!).
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #16
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I'm sure there are some campgrounds that honor it on weekends, but the blackouts I described seemed to be the rule rather than the exception. No way to know until you join and receive (for an extra fee and shipping costs) the directory. You can get a list of participating campgrounds on the website, but not the individual details.
I'm able to bring up passport america's web site and go to campgrounds from there, you can then go through all the ones you want by state there is also the individual CG web site if they have one. Of the ones we joined we have gotten more out of P/A than any of the other ones but like I said there are individuals with blackouts.

Passport America The original 50% Discount Camping Club - Passport America Discount Camping Club
__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
ROD - resorts of distinction
ACN - adventure camping network
AOR - adventure outdoor resorts
i think that it's more that the perception out there is that there's a lot of chaos with these types of campground membership programs.
people may perceive that the apparent instability may not be worth sinking any money into such a program.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #18
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,775
I would venture a guess that with widespread internet searching and usage, there is very little need for a cg to be part of one of these programs.
You can readily find, and reserve sites on line and no discount would have to be given-looking at it from thier (the cg) side.
And honestly, probably fewer people see a need to join one of these programs . Besides the spam and junk mail from anything you sign up for these days. The cost may outway the benefits.
We, personally wouldn't join one of these programs, and honestly after 1 year of Goodsams, im not renewing with them either. It cost me around $20, and it saved me $9 and we never received anything but a sticker. No magazines, just alot of junk mail.

Now I know it may benefit others, but our most of our local lakes won't accept them, and the places we frequent.
- I wonder if others are possibly in the same boat? That maybe why the OP is seeing what they are.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
__________________
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #19
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
We, personally wouldn't join one of these programs, and honestly after 1 year of Goodsams, im not renewing with them either. It cost me around $20, and it saved me $9 and we never received anything but a sticker. No magazines, just alot of junk mail.

Now I know it may benefit others, but our most of our local lakes won't accept them, and the places we frequent.
- I wonder if others are possibly in the same boat? That maybe why the OP is seeing what they are.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!

I only joined Good Sams because I could buy a membership and save 157 on all the stuff DW was buying at Camping World. So I got the three year one for 72 and figure everything I save over the next three years is bonus. We'll see if we bothering 2.5 years when it runs out.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #20
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I only joined Good Sams because I could buy a membership and save 157 on all the stuff DW was buying at Camping World. So I got the three year one for 72 and figure everything I save over the next three years is bonus. We'll see if we bothering 2.5 years when it runs out.
I forgot about them. I guess I'll see if I can buy some stuff online before my Goodsams expires- that is unless ebay is cheaper!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
__________________

__________________
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camping

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.