Old 03-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I renew my GS membership whenever I need to make a major purchase at CW. That pays the renewal fee. And last time CW sent me a $10 and a $25 coupon for renewing.
I ama Charter GS Lifetime...still, I have found the absolute best prices can be had on Amazon

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #32

It's an interesting business model - but with 'members' (no voting or say in anything BTW) you have long term obligations. No clue what the repurcussions of going bankrupt would be. Or trying to retire.

Roaring Run tried to sell 2 years ago to new owners and eventually the deal went bust. We have no sewage at our CG and they (new owners) did a survey to try and see what it would take...since the deal fell through I assume too much cost.

We did get 'assessed' $80 for the survey and CG-wide wi-fi...which costs $5/day to use (or did last year..waiting to hear what if any fees for this year). You can get free wifi in the lodge so not a big deal...unless your my kids of course LOL
I avoid 'connecting' when camping so I don't care.

The new owners did install a gate with the idea of issuing cards for in/out (currently there is a guard shack and it's manual).

I can't imagine the legal nightmare of paperwork when the deal fell thru since the improvements had been done, 'remarketing' had been done - trying to upsell and offer lower mantinence fees if you did and if you signed up friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Man...I need to open one of these kind of cg's! Sounds like a no loose business from the cg's side.

Then maybe I can retire and camp all the time and vacation at my house!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #33

Prof i am a new ROD member with roaring run as my home cg. Spent 10 days there during memorial dah and i must say i was slightly disappointed in the resort. It was not nearly as nice, upgraded, or modern as told during sales pitch. The sewage is my biggest beef with the restrictions on wifi second and pet limitation third. Became members in winter and weather sort of prohibited a drive tour of cg. It is a nice place but thats as high a review i would give it. Since wife and i fulltiming as soon as we tie up loose ends i will not be there fulltime just for a week here and there when coming back to PGH. for doc appts.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #34

We were there over memorial day weekend as well. The pool was cold - but open. It's been a tough early spring here and it showed there - many sites were full of leaves.

They did get the stump out from infront of the door to the teen lodge..the one that was 'soon to open' 4 years ago when we joined..that's been the first progress we've seen.

For us the wifi is a double edged sword - we won't pay for it so our kids can't get it and that's good when camping (also a reason we don't have a tv in the camper). But we were assesed for it...so we paid for the install and if we want to use it have to pay more...something very wrong in that IMO.

On the plus side- the CG is always quiet. when we joined there were no golf carts allowed so it was quieter, more 'special' as I'm not a fan of the CGs where it's like times square with carts always running around.

Turns out Pymatuning Adventure Resort is now an ROD resort (before there AOR I believe). So you can go there for free as well (twice a year at least). And we plan to hit up the gettysburg ROD in July, also free.

Check out the prices for CGs around champion/somerset and you may find RR is a bargain. We stayed 3 nights - at Pioneer Park up the road that would have run $250+.

As for sewage hookup.. we're used to not having it. Can easily stay 3-4 days w/o issue. Pymatuning has sewer and all it really means is we dump before pulling out - often their hookups there are too far apart for water/elec/sewer at the same time anyway.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #35

We are heading to Erie Island resort, an ROD, in 10 days for a week. Never been to port clinton or put in Bay so am excited. Until our house sells we are going to go visit the ROD ' S close, Gettysburg and 2 in new York near niagra. As for the golf carts, that is funny, I told the wife I was more worried about the golf carts than people when driving through site. I love the quiet in the morning and night. Had a nice spot, #67, had a hole to see sky through trees and was close to shower house. I can definitely see why people choose Roaring Run as their summer home every weekend or longer. The staff was very friendly and helpful which in my opinion is a serious PLUS.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #36

I went to port clinton a couple of times last year for Camp Perry competitions. Expensive to stay in the area though as cedar point and the islands are all summer hot spots.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #37

I dropped our GS after a year. Worthless magazine and junk mail. And our dealer keeps parts in better stock than CW for roughly the same price. And it's the same 2 guys that stock it and run it. They have both been there for over 20 years. I get tired of the clueless dimwits at the one south of Indy. Even with Good Sam discount, they aren't worth the dollar or so less. CW is the Walmart of camping, and I hate Walmart.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #38

does this mean camping industry is improving or dying?

The lady at camping world myrtle beach got completely sh**ty with me after she pushed the membership over and over and I kept declining over and over. She just wouldn't take no for an answer. I ended up getting a little stern and she stopped. Threw my stuff in a bag and wouldnt say a word after that. Told her thanks and have a great day but she shot me a dirty look. Couldn't believe it
Old 06-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
The lady at camping world myrtle beach got completely sh**ty with me after she pushed the membership over and over and I kept declining over and over. She just wouldn't take no for an answer. I ended up getting a little stern and she stopped. Threw my stuff in a bag and wouldnt say a word after that. Told her thanks and have a great day but she shot me a dirty look. Couldn't believe it

Think I know that lady. Gave me a hard time when I needed to order something and said they would call when it was in..........never got a call and finally just went over and picked it up. No telling how long it would have sat there until they just sent it back.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Think I know that lady. Gave me a hard time when I needed to order something and said they would call when it was in..........never got a call and finally just went over and picked it up. No telling how long it would have sat there until they just sent it back.

Yeah she was a piece of work! That stuff turns me off and I won't be back there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
camping