Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2015, 07:19 AM   #1

Forest River Repair : competent and Professional

We recently had the misfortune of being rear-ended on an icy overpass on I -65 in Indiana. Fortunately, no one was injured and after a few hours on the icy side of the interstate waiting for Police Reports and other accidents to clear , we were able to drive our Roo21 RS back to our home inGrand Rapids, Mi. Although towable, there was extensive damage to the rear and left panels and bumper. Having read some of the horror stories about shoddy dealer repair on this forum, we decided to tow the camper back to the factory of origin, Forest River facility in Millersburg Indiana. ( a two hour drive from our home in Michigan)

Right from the initial call to Deb Rimsa , the folks at FR could not have been more helpful. We were able to set up an appointment in a timely fashion and were able to have our estimate for repairs done via photos sent by email. Upon dropping off the vehicle, Deb arranged for us to meet with the Technician who would complete the repair. His name is Floyd Miller, and he took his time explaining what needed to be done and how he would do it. He even took us on a brief tour of his building (amazing to see how our RVs are assembled).

The repairs were completed even earlier than promised and yesterday we went to pick up our Roo in Indiana. Not only was everything completed as promised, but Floyd and his crew even completed maintainence procedures that needed to be done but we're not a part of the repair order (ie caulking All joints, replacing door stop, stove igniter etc) at no extra charge. In sum, our Roo is now in better condition than before the accident.

I forget who the original poster was who suggested taking our vehicles back to the factory instead of to the Dealer, but he/she could not have been more spot on. Thank you, whoever you are!

BTW, if you want to contact Deb Rimsa at Forest River, try calling her at (574) 642 8942 .

Jim
2009 Roo 21 RS
2013 GMC Sierra 1500
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:24 AM   #2

Its always good to hear some positive news. Thanks for posting.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #3

Glad to hear you were taken care of. Do you happen to know if Deb is only assigned to the Roo division, or is she more in the general repair area at FR?
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #4

This is outstanding to hear
Tadi Brothers 9" Wireless 120 degree Rear Cam
2015 Nights Camped: 4
2016 Nights Camped: 8
hazmat91180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #5

Glad everyone was okay after the accident AND
VERY happy to hear about FR. I'm starting to think it's worth the drive and hotel stay if needed, to take it there.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #6

Glad all was handled well for you, now enjoy that camper!!!!!!!!
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #7

That's great to hear. So glad the folks at Roo took care of you.
esimmons12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #8

Glad to hear everyone was ok . Good to know that there are people out there that do take pride in what they do and how they do it , have a great summer of camping my friend
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #9

Thanks to all for your supportive words.
Deb Rimsa, as far as I know, is assigned to the Forest River Warranty Division, thus she most likely works with all makes and models...

Jim
2009 Roo 21 RS
2013 GMC Sierra 1500
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 04-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I live in the Grand Rapids area too and would have no problem taking my rig back to my dealer (American RV) for repair, but am glad that FR took good care of you. Just curious who you purchased your Roo from?

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #11

I bought it used from a private seller here in the GR area. It was purchased new at TerryTown.

Jim
2009 Roo 21 RS
2013 GMC Sierra 1500
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 04-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #12

You are ALWAYS better off to take your unit to the factory for repairs. Dealer service is often spotty and they may have to order parts which the factory would have readily available. I avoid CW at all costs! This experience was gained from full-timing for eight years in a class A motor home (Not a FR product). Now part timing in a Forest River Class C and enjoying every minute!
ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ustamiata View Post
You are ALWAYS better off to take your unit to the factory for repairs. Dealer service is often spotty and they may have to order parts which the factory would have readily available. I avoid CW at all costs! This experience was gained from full-timing for eight years in a class A motor home (Not a FR product). Now part timing in a Forest River Class C and enjoying every minute!
Experience should always drive the decision you make on how you conduct business and I can't argue with your opinion. But I can say that the dealer I have is top notch. (American RV in Grand Rapids, MI) And what is interesting is they share their business with CW. When you schedule work with CW, it's American RV techs who actually do the work. I've been to other CW's where I wouldn't want them to do work on my RV, but in Grand Rapids it's a whole different ball game. Just wanted to express my thoughts. Happy camping.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #14

I read a lot of Forums about having RV's repaired and the majority don't like the Dealer. We have a FABULOUS dealer and that's maybe because they are a local "mom & pop" place - not the "big box" store!! Also the man in charge of maintenance is very knowledgable and his crew, also. They are Mantelli RV in Lockport, NY. We love them!! We bought out new 2015 from them in Dec. and set off for Florida. When we had any problems we could call them and they would get right back to us with an answer to our problem. Most of them were small and if we could not fix it, we could wait until we got home. The 5th wheel is back there now getting all the little problems fixed, and they WILL BE FIXED!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:33 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

There is a big difference, IMO, between getting minor maintenance done and a major repair like a collision,, roof replacement, or delamination. Serious hidden damage may not become apparent until disassembly occurs and then it will be too late to get it back to the factory.

I will be taking mine to the factory myself if that ever happens to me.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:41 AM   #16

Totally agree that the factory is the best place to have major repairs done. Unfortunately many of us are just too far away.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #17
Site Team

x2!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Coolyard View Post
We recently had the misfortune of being rear-ended on an icy overpass on I -65 in Indiana. Fortunately, no one was injured and after a few hours on the icy side of the interstate waiting for Police Reports and other accidents to clear , we were able to drive our Roo21 RS back to our home inGrand Rapids, Mi. Although towable, there was extensive damage to the rear and left panels and bumper. Having read some of the horror stories about shoddy dealer repair on this forum, we decided to tow the camper back to the factory of origin, Forest River facility in Millersburg Indiana. ( a two hour drive from our home in Michigan)

Right from the initial call to Deb Rimsa , the folks at FR could not have been more helpful. We were able to set up an appointment in a timely fashion and were able to have our estimate for repairs done via photos sent by email. Upon dropping off the vehicle, Deb arranged for us to meet with the Technician who would complete the repair. His name is Floyd Miller, and he took his time explaining what needed to be done and how he would do it. He even took us on a brief tour of his building (amazing to see how our RVs are assembled).

The repairs were completed even earlier than promised and yesterday we went to pick up our Roo in Indiana. Not only was everything completed as promised, but Floyd and his crew even completed maintainence procedures that needed to be done but we're not a part of the repair order (ie caulking All joints, replacing door stop, stove igniter etc) at no extra charge. In sum, our Roo is now in better condition than before the accident.

I forget who the original poster was who suggested taking our vehicles back to the factory instead of to the Dealer, but he/she could not have been more spot on. Thank you, whoever you are!

BTW, if you want to contact Deb Rimsa at Forest River, try calling her at (574) 642 8942 .

Jim
2009 Roo 21 RS
2013 GMC Sierra 1500
That would be me!!
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #19

Its really nice to hear something positive in a world full of negativity. Good for you guys.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, repair