Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #11

Mick,take your trailer to Harrington,Maine,Sunset Point CG. Ask the owner about some fresh Clams. Cook clams in trailer,you will not have the NEW smell any longer! Have him cook & deliver (Lobster) while there as well. Youroo!!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #12

The US govt. has finally listed formaldehyde as well as styrene as carcinogenic. Hello! Like anyone who ever smelled the stuff could possibly think it was good for you! I'm wondering if Mick Land in his first post is simply responding to that govt. anouncement? RVs are built with materials that are light weight as well as inexpensive. The "new" focus is on ultralight trailers - ones that can be towed by popular SUVs. What would your trailer / motorhome weigh if it were built from non chemical containing materials - metal, solid wood, ceramic shower tile and bathroom fixtures etc.

Yes airing out the units helps to dissapate the offgassing. I wonder what restrictions if any there are on materials used in their construction

days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
GM

My division uses "Azdel - Superlite" which is Formaldehyde free and ALL Forest River divisions use low formaldehyde emitting materials (to my knowledge). Not all "new" smells are Formaldehyde.

Prior to Katrina & the Fema units I don't recall a single issue, post Katrina you'd think those thing were made of solidified Formaldehyde panels
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #14

I bought this unit brand new in 2007 , 5th wheel 33 ft bunk house. The smell attaches it self to everything that is the unit. Clothes, dishes, toys, etc..... I have aired this unit out in everyway you can think of.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I've got an '09 Rockwood 2106 that was built in Aug' of '08. I purchased the TT in the fall of '09. Yes it did have a strong "new" smell to it when I purchased it. I didn't have much of a chance to air it out when I got home w/ it. The following spring when the warm weather arrived I kept the roof vents open & went thru a few Airwick fresheners. After a couple of weeks the new smell was barely noticeable.
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #16

Mick Land the trailer is 4 years old. If the smell is not getting less then something else is going on. It would drive me crazy as well.

Off gassing can take a while - but is less over time. I'm sure it feels like the odor is everywhere but can you pinpoint what has the strongest smell?
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
(Kim)

Try used coffee grinds, they are awesome at absorbing odours.
I saved a few days worth and put them in all the drawers/closets and on the main dinette, left them there for a couple of days.......'new' smell is gone.
=]
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
This subject line reminds me of a joke on (I think) the Two Ronnies. One character gives the other a bottle of liquid and says "Tell Malcolm to hide this." The other says "what's in the bottle?". The first one says "It's formaldehyde." The second one says "You told me what to do with it, but what's in the bottle?"
In the same light............try burning "Fork Handles" that should hide the smell! (Four candles) also "Two Ronnies".

Farm hand goes into general store, asks.....Fork handles? Server behind counter slaps down four candles (wax) You know how the rest goes

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #19

What Forest River Lines use AZDEL or other composites?

Forest River needs to do a much better job in touting/advertising what products contain AZDEL and other composites! So, AZ Del says Forest River is using the stuff, so where. I can not easily find it on any of the product information on the web sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
My division uses "Azdel - Superlite" which is Formaldehyde free and ALL Forest River divisions use low formaldehyde emitting materials (to my knowledge). Not all "new" smells are Formaldehyde.

Prior to Katrina & the Fema units I don't recall a single issue, post Katrina you'd think those thing were made of solidified Formaldehyde panels
Old 07-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
Try used coffee grinds, they are awesome at absorbing odours.
I saved a few days worth and put them in all the drawers/closets and on the main dinette, left them there for a couple of days.......'new' smell is gone.
=]
My brother & SIL mentioned that I put a tray of charcoal briquettes in my TT when I winterized it for the 1st time. I'm not sure what the purpose is. Charcoal is used as a deodorizer.

Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote