Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #21
Anacortesians

I remember a Monty Python sketch where John Cleese gave another character a bottle and said "Give this to Malcolm and tell him to hide it" The response was "What's in the bottle?" Response "It's formaldehyde". Reply "You told me that already, but what's in the bottle?"
Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingGeo View Post
Forest River needs to do a much better job in touting/advertising what products contain AZDEL and other composites! So, AZ Del says Forest River is using the stuff, so where. I can not easily find it on any of the product information on the web sites.
I can't speak for the other divisions, we call out Azdel right in our Class C brochures. Azdel, is more expensive than lauan plywood so not everyone has chosen to use it. For us, the noise reduction, better R-value and moisture resistance was more than enough value for the price.

For Robert Weed who supplies it, I think just putting "Forest River" on the site is in the hopes that more divisions start to use it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Land View Post
does anyone else have the same issues of formaldehyde smelling in thier camper. are there any recalls. Does Forest River really care about the people they sell to.
Yes, we have formaldehyde issues in our 3 y/o 5th wheel (cardinal made by Forest River). Forest River recommended we have it tested by the EPA for formaldehyde and the official results were 3x higher than the FEMA trailers, with the camper having been aired out for 3 days prior, etc. (we followed the company's recommendation's to the letter). Forest River dealer is 'waiting for corporate'. They also stated that we would be reimbursed for the expensive testing. (I'm not holding my breath)
We have suffered ill-health effects from the high levels and noxious odor it emits, which facilitated our decision to have the formaldehyde levels tested and recorded. It's been 3 years and the camper remains to emit higher than allowed levels. Good Luck to camper owner(s) that attempt to discuss any problems with Forest River. I would strongly discourage another purchase of any from this company due to the health issues my family has encountered, (and possible future health issues), the lack of acknowledgement, along with the poor service they have established and we are continuing to receive in regards to this issue.
Camping_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #24

really?????
Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

This thread might help on this issue.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...erns-3387.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #26

Thanks, I had read those posts to see if other campers were having this type of issue with this particular brand of camper. For the past 3 years, we've religiously attempted all methods to reduce the odor, (vent fans, charcoal, etc). These have proven to be ineffective at eliminating the formaldehyde fumes. Air fresheners only mask the odor.
My children would wake up in the camper with abnormal nosebleeds, the copious amounts were too much too handle. They were examined by a physician who could not find anything physically wrong. However, spending the night in the camper would guarantee a blood bath in the morning.
Along with the constant burning sensation in our eyes, throat and exacerbation of asthma.
Camping_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #27

That certainly sounds like symptoms of formaldehyde.I'm no doctor,but on a renovation I was doing we got into some blown in formaldehyde insulation we didn't know was there and ended up with extreme shortness of breath,dry stinging eyes,and sore throats.No nose bleeds though,but maybe we weren't exposed to it long enough.I do remember the shortness of breath was almost immediate,as if the oxygen had been sucked out of the area.That stuff is terrible in a pure form like we were exposed to.I can only imagine what you and your family must go through spending time in an area with high levels of it.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #28

This is an interesting thread. Our KZ Jag trade in always had a very distinct chemical smell for the 4 years we owned it. Like a previous poster said, the smell would attach itself to our bodies and clothes and everything else that spent any time in the camper. I hated it. I am a real "smell" person and can't stand to stay where there are bad odors. I hated the smell of the sheets when I climbed in them at night. I thought it was just part of camping in travel trailers. Then we traded in for our 2012 PT Lacrosse 318BHS and the first thing I noticed was the LACK of that odor. The new camper smell is there but is much more pleasant and a "normal" new smell and we don't seem to bring home that other smell anymore.
Jeannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #29

"we have formaldehyde issues in our 3 y/o 5th wheel"
==================================
Our camper doesn't have that smell either, and even from new wasn't that bad. Have they changed construction materials that much? Or is it a function of the construction methods?
Odd that a 3 year-old camper would still be that bad. Hard to believe.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #30

Our first camper (not as Forest River product) gave us problems with odors and burning eyes until I put Maxx Air covers on the vents so I could leave them open. The problem soon dissapeared. The day I brought my Flagstaff home I installed Maxx Air vent covers and only close the vents when it is in winter storage. No odor, no problems.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #31

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
We have a new 2012 Georgetown and have no smell.
I am very sensitive to chemicals and they have done something right on our rig.
I have to be real careful in any new building or newly renovated space as I will be ill with in minutes. And our new Georgetown is not a problem in this area. A few other small problems but that is an other story. I think they are fixing those for me.
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #32

Ventilating is the best way to go. I have not tried this but I have read that wool will absorb formaldehyde vapors. Perhaps putting out a wool blanket on days that you cannot ventilate the rv will help also.

2010 Rockwood Windjammer 2609W
Reese dual cam sway control
2002 Chevy Express 1500 LT
Family of 4 and WeBJammin'
WeBJammin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #33

We had a 2004 Wildcat, if it was closed up for any time at all and we went in our eyes would burn, nose would run, headache. We had to keep our windows open at all times or it was not fun to be in the camper. We now have a 2009 Silverback and no issues at all with it..
hihosilver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #34
ace

So my dealer is claiming 2012 Rockwoods are Formaldehyde Free? Can anyone confirm this. I can't find info about it anywhere.
ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #35

I have a 2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 and never had the Formaldahyde smell - not even from day one.

I do have Maxx Aire II vents on both vents and leave them open so there is always ventilation in the camper.

I am was very sensitive to that smell and know it very well - when I worked in a car Dealership we used to get shippments of Conversion Vans and on a Hot Day you would get a blast of that stuff and get the burning eyes - was no fun when you had to move the van around the lot.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #36
Hob

We cook with enough garlic it overpowers the other odors.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #37
Anacortesians

I think it was Monty Python that did a skit about formaldehyde. One of them gave the other a bottle and said "ask Mel to hide this". The other said "What is it". The first one said "It's formaldehide". The response was "You told me that already, but what's in the bottle?" It went on for several exchanges.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #38
Experienced Newbie

I just purchased a 2012 Apex 151RBX and was surprised at how absent of odors it was. The only thing you could smell was the "leather" on the seats.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhartzel View Post
I just purchased a 2012 Apex 151RBX and was surprised at how absent of odors it was. The only thing you could smell was the "leather" on the seats.
Technology these days is truly fantastic, its amazing that they now make Formaldehyde smell like leather

to the Forum by the way,

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #40

I got rid of the formaldehyde smell the old fashioned way from my 2006 Forest River FEMA TT....I gutted it! Actually the formaldehyde smell was long gone. Instead I had to get rid of the musty closed up setting in a storage field smell for a year or two before me buying it smell. It's taken almost 2 years but I'm just about ready to start building a custom interior. Yeah, I'm a little slow on the rebuild. What can I say, life interrupts.

Really though, many people blame the travel trailer manufacturers for the formaldehyde smell when really they can only install what their supplier provides to them. With everything on JIT (Just In Time) deliverys to eliminate warehouse costs, everything is coming from manufacturers with zero time to vent and air out. The TT manufacturers hear the complaints and have to either find sources that do not use formaldehyde, or allow the boards used to air out, both methods add cost to production. I believe the charcoal method is good advice. Charcoal is an absorber of contaminants. Leaving charcoal in the TT (don't get the match lite type) will absorb the oders and help prevent health issues until the full out gassing is complete. Think about it, that's why air filters have charcoal embedded in them. Add charcoal filter pads to your air intake of your AC and heating and you'll be surprised at the difference in how your TT smells in a very short time. Venting the day before a trip and using the filters should take care of any issues.
EPDM Rubber Roof Installation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbraK...hannel&list=UL Pulled by a 2002 Chevy Avalanche, 496cid Rat motor, 12k Lb. tow package, leveling hitch, dual sway controls & electric brakes.
xf021209 is offline   Reply With Quote