Old 07-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #21
I remember a Monty Python sketch where John Cleese gave another character a bottle and said "Give this to Malcolm and tell him to hide it" The response was "What's in the bottle?" Response "It's formaldehyde". Reply "You told me that already, but what's in the bottle?"

Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #22
Originally Posted by BoeingGeo View Post
Forest River needs to do a much better job in touting/advertising what products contain AZDEL and other composites! So, AZ Del says Forest River is using the stuff, so where. I can not easily find it on any of the product information on the web sites.
I can't speak for the other divisions, we call out Azdel right in our Class C brochures. Azdel, is more expensive than lauan plywood so not everyone has chosen to use it. For us, the noise reduction, better R-value and moisture resistance was more than enough value for the price.

For Robert Weed who supplies it, I think just putting "Forest River" on the site is in the hopes that more divisions start to use it.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #23
Originally Posted by Mick Land View Post
does anyone else have the same issues of formaldehyde smelling in thier camper. are there any recalls. Does Forest River really care about the people they sell to.
Yes, we have formaldehyde issues in our 3 y/o 5th wheel (cardinal made by Forest River). Forest River recommended we have it tested by the EPA for formaldehyde and the official results were 3x higher than the FEMA trailers, with the camper having been aired out for 3 days prior, etc. (we followed the company's recommendation's to the letter). Forest River dealer is 'waiting for corporate'. They also stated that we would be reimbursed for the expensive testing. (I'm not holding my breath)
We have suffered ill-health effects from the high levels and noxious odor it emits, which facilitated our decision to have the formaldehyde levels tested and recorded. It's been 3 years and the camper remains to emit higher than allowed levels. Good Luck to camper owner(s) that attempt to discuss any problems with Forest River. I would strongly discourage another purchase of any from this company due to the health issues my family has encountered, (and possible future health issues), the lack of acknowledgement, along with the poor service they have established and we are continuing to receive in regards to this issue.
Camping_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #24
The Family Truckster Team:
Michael & Belinda
mg0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou
This thread might help on this issue.

Formaldehyde concerns

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #26
Thanks, I had read those posts to see if other campers were having this type of issue with this particular brand of camper. For the past 3 years, we've religiously attempted all methods to reduce the odor, (vent fans, charcoal, etc). These have proven to be ineffective at eliminating the formaldehyde fumes. Air fresheners only mask the odor.
My children would wake up in the camper with abnormal nosebleeds, the copious amounts were too much too handle. They were examined by a physician who could not find anything physically wrong. However, spending the night in the camper would guarantee a blood bath in the morning.
Along with the constant burning sensation in our eyes, throat and exacerbation of asthma.
Camping_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #27
That certainly sounds like symptoms of formaldehyde.I'm no doctor,but on a renovation I was doing we got into some blown in formaldehyde insulation we didn't know was there and ended up with extreme shortness of breath,dry stinging eyes,and sore throats.No nose bleeds though,but maybe we weren't exposed to it long enough.I do remember the shortness of breath was almost immediate,as if the oxygen had been sucked out of the area.That stuff is terrible in a pure form like we were exposed to.I can only imagine what you and your family must go through spending time in an area with high levels of it.
2011 Salem 30kqbss
2013 Ram 2500
2005 Ram 2500
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #28
This is an interesting thread. Our KZ Jag trade in always had a very distinct chemical smell for the 4 years we owned it. Like a previous poster said, the smell would attach itself to our bodies and clothes and everything else that spent any time in the camper. I hated it. I am a real "smell" person and can't stand to stay where there are bad odors. I hated the smell of the sheets when I climbed in them at night. I thought it was just part of camping in travel trailers. Then we traded in for our 2012 PT Lacrosse 318BHS and the first thing I noticed was the LACK of that odor. The new camper smell is there but is much more pleasant and a "normal" new smell and we don't seem to bring home that other smell anymore.
Jeannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #29
"we have formaldehyde issues in our 3 y/o 5th wheel"
Our camper doesn't have that smell either, and even from new wasn't that bad. Have they changed construction materials that much? Or is it a function of the construction methods?
Odd that a 3 year-old camper would still be that bad. Hard to believe.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #30
Our first camper (not as Forest River product) gave us problems with odors and burning eyes until I put Maxx Air covers on the vents so I could leave them open. The problem soon dissapeared. The day I brought my Flagstaff home I installed Maxx Air vent covers and only close the vents when it is in winter storage. No odor, no problems.

backin15 is offline   Reply With Quote