Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #31
Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
We have a new 2012 Georgetown and have no smell.
I am very sensitive to chemicals and they have done something right on our rig.
I have to be real careful in any new building or newly renovated space as I will be ill with in minutes. And our new Georgetown is not a problem in this area. A few other small problems but that is an other story. I think they are fixing those for me.

Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #32
Ventilating is the best way to go. I have not tried this but I have read that wool will absorb formaldehyde vapors. Perhaps putting out a wool blanket on days that you cannot ventilate the rv will help also.

2010 Rockwood Windjammer 2609W
Reese dual cam sway control
2002 Chevy Express 1500 LT
Family of 4 and WeBJammin'
WeBJammin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #33
We had a 2004 Wildcat, if it was closed up for any time at all and we went in our eyes would burn, nose would run, headache. We had to keep our windows open at all times or it was not fun to be in the camper. We now have a 2009 Silverback and no issues at all with it..
hihosilver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #34
So my dealer is claiming 2012 Rockwoods are Formaldehyde Free? Can anyone confirm this. I can't find info about it anywhere.
ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #35
I have a 2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 and never had the Formaldahyde smell - not even from day one.

I do have Maxx Aire II vents on both vents and leave them open so there is always ventilation in the camper.

I am was very sensitive to that smell and know it very well - when I worked in a car Dealership we used to get shippments of Conversion Vans and on a Hot Day you would get a blast of that stuff and get the burning eyes - was no fun when you had to move the van around the lot.
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #36
We cook with enough garlic it overpowers the other odors.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #37
I think it was Monty Python that did a skit about formaldehyde. One of them gave the other a bottle and said "ask Mel to hide this". The other said "What is it". The first one said "It's formaldehide". The response was "You told me that already, but what's in the bottle?" It went on for several exchanges.
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #38
Experienced Newbie
I just purchased a 2012 Apex 151RBX and was surprised at how absent of odors it was. The only thing you could smell was the "leather" on the seats.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #39
Originally Posted by mhartzel View Post
I just purchased a 2012 Apex 151RBX and was surprised at how absent of odors it was. The only thing you could smell was the "leather" on the seats.
Technology these days is truly fantastic, its amazing that they now make Formaldehyde smell like leather

to the Forum by the way,
Nigel & Bev
Brit Driver & Canadian Naviguesser

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #40
I got rid of the formaldehyde smell the old fashioned way from my 2006 Forest River FEMA TT....I gutted it! Actually the formaldehyde smell was long gone. Instead I had to get rid of the musty closed up setting in a storage field smell for a year or two before me buying it smell. It's taken almost 2 years but I'm just about ready to start building a custom interior. Yeah, I'm a little slow on the rebuild. What can I say, life interrupts.

Really though, many people blame the travel trailer manufacturers for the formaldehyde smell when really they can only install what their supplier provides to them. With everything on JIT (Just In Time) deliverys to eliminate warehouse costs, everything is coming from manufacturers with zero time to vent and air out. The TT manufacturers hear the complaints and have to either find sources that do not use formaldehyde, or allow the boards used to air out, both methods add cost to production. I believe the charcoal method is good advice. Charcoal is an absorber of contaminants. Leaving charcoal in the TT (don't get the match lite type) will absorb the oders and help prevent health issues until the full out gassing is complete. Think about it, that's why air filters have charcoal embedded in them. Add charcoal filter pads to your air intake of your AC and heating and you'll be surprised at the difference in how your TT smells in a very short time. Venting the day before a trip and using the filters should take care of any issues.

Todd - 2006 Forest River 27BH (previous FEMA trailer, rebuild in progress.)
EPDM Rubber Roof Installation - Pulled by a 2002 Chevy Avalanche, 496cid Rat motor, 12k Lb. tow package, leveling hitch, dual sway controls & electric brakes.
xf021209 is offline   Reply With Quote