Old 06-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #1

formaldehyde

does anyone else have the same issues of formaldehyde smelling in thier camper. are there any recalls. Does Forest River really care about the people they sell to.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #2

Mick, look at the bottom of my post, you will see what is known as a 'Signature line'. It tells what camper and tow unit we have. When I ask a question folks are better able to help me answer it.
When I read your post my forst thought was this; 'Oh no, another hapless soul that bought a FEMA trailer and will be ssoorrrryy!
And I have found Forest River to be caring. They will recommend you work through the dealer first.
Jack

2007 Chevy 2500HD 'Classic' with the Duramax engine.

Converting a 1956 GMC PD4501 Scenicruiser, ex Greyhound into a motor home.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #3

On a nice day, open it up- windows and doors, turn on the ceiling fan or fantastic fan for exhaust, and let it air out for a coulpe of DAYS, (not at night). You'll be surprized at the difference. Most of us just chalk up the formaldehide smell as that "new camper" smell, and just deal with it. It WILL go away eventually. Get some air fresheners, they help a little. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #4

this issue was discussed before, and it doesn't seem to be a big problem....here is a link to one of the past discussions. also in one of the comments there is a link to a website with all the facts regarding formaldehyde in RV's
Formaldehyde in Forest River Products
Old 06-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
On a nice day, open it up- windows and doors, turn on the ceiling fan or fantastic fan for exhaust, and let it air out for a coulpe of DAYS, (not at night). You'll be surprized at the difference. Most of us just chalk up the formaldehide smell as that "new camper" smell, and just deal with it. It WILL go away eventually. Get some air fresheners, they help a little. Randy
My trailer is on starting the 4th season. I immediately turn on the fantastic fan when I get to the trailer and hook up. I leave the other roof vents open and the fan running until we get to our destination. I STILL have the new trailer smell... Yes we have used it quite a bit, 30+ days a year on average. I was hoping that this smell would be gone by now... Running the fan helps a lot!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #6

what??? i love that "new camper smell" i never want it to go away!! we have freinds come over and say " ahhh that new camper smell" LOL maybe we are all just silly!! haha
gear ratio
momtovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #7

i think most new unit had the same prob but it was a short term thing open the windows and enjoy the outdoors
Old 06-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #8
Anacortesians

This subject line reminds me of a joke on (I think) the Two Ronnies. One character gives the other a bottle of liquid and says "Tell Malcolm to hide this." The other says "what's in the bottle?". The first one says "It's formaldehyde." The second one says "You told me what to do with it, but what's in the bottle?"
Old 06-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #9

Just about anything manufactured with pressed wood from any manufacturer is going to have a formaldehyde smell. The formaldehyde will eventually dissipate over time and be less noticeable. You can try to air it out on nice days... I have also read stories of opening all the windows, open closets/drawers, and cranking up the heat in there with heaters or the furnace. The heat will cause the formaldehyde gasses to leach out of the wood quicker. I haven't personally tried this and would Google it more for specifics before trying... We just open the vent/fan on setup and the smell dissipates in a few minutes.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Yep!

New car (camper) smell is a mixture of Formaldehyde from (the Styrofoam and pressed wood) and Contact cement solvent (Acetone and Toluene) from the glues used to bond the walls and roof as well as counter tops and furniture.

They sell cars of "New Car Smell" at car stores to help you sell your used car.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote