Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #1

formaldehyde

does anyone else have the same issues of formaldehyde smelling in thier camper. are there any recalls. Does Forest River really care about the people they sell to.
Mick Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #2

Mick, look at the bottom of my post, you will see what is known as a 'Signature line'. It tells what camper and tow unit we have. When I ask a question folks are better able to help me answer it.
When I read your post my forst thought was this; 'Oh no, another hapless soul that bought a FEMA trailer and will be ssoorrrryy!
And I have found Forest River to be caring. They will recommend you work through the dealer first.
Jack

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #3

On a nice day, open it up- windows and doors, turn on the ceiling fan or fantastic fan for exhaust, and let it air out for a coulpe of DAYS, (not at night). You'll be surprized at the difference. Most of us just chalk up the formaldehide smell as that "new camper" smell, and just deal with it. It WILL go away eventually. Get some air fresheners, they help a little. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #4

this issue was discussed before, and it doesn't seem to be a big problem....here is a link to one of the past discussions. also in one of the comments there is a link to a website with all the facts regarding formaldehyde in RV's
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-1880-2.html
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
On a nice day, open it up- windows and doors, turn on the ceiling fan or fantastic fan for exhaust, and let it air out for a coulpe of DAYS, (not at night). You'll be surprized at the difference. Most of us just chalk up the formaldehide smell as that "new camper" smell, and just deal with it. It WILL go away eventually. Get some air fresheners, they help a little. Randy
My trailer is on starting the 4th season. I immediately turn on the fantastic fan when I get to the trailer and hook up. I leave the other roof vents open and the fan running until we get to our destination. I STILL have the new trailer smell... Yes we have used it quite a bit, 30+ days a year on average. I was hoping that this smell would be gone by now... Running the fan helps a lot!
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #6

what??? i love that "new camper smell" i never want it to go away!! we have freinds come over and say " ahhh that new camper smell" LOL maybe we are all just silly!! haha
gear ratio
momtovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #7

i think most new unit had the same prob but it was a short term thing open the windows and enjoy the outdoors
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Anacortesians

This subject line reminds me of a joke on (I think) the Two Ronnies. One character gives the other a bottle of liquid and says "Tell Malcolm to hide this." The other says "what's in the bottle?". The first one says "It's formaldehyde." The second one says "You told me what to do with it, but what's in the bottle?"
Old 06-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #9

Just about anything manufactured with pressed wood from any manufacturer is going to have a formaldehyde smell. The formaldehyde will eventually dissipate over time and be less noticeable. You can try to air it out on nice days... I have also read stories of opening all the windows, open closets/drawers, and cranking up the heat in there with heaters or the furnace. The heat will cause the formaldehyde gasses to leach out of the wood quicker. I haven't personally tried this and would Google it more for specifics before trying... We just open the vent/fan on setup and the smell dissipates in a few minutes.
brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Yep!

New car (camper) smell is a mixture of Formaldehyde from (the Styrofoam and pressed wood) and Contact cement solvent (Acetone and Toluene) from the glues used to bond the walls and roof as well as counter tops and furniture.

They sell cars of "New Car Smell" at car stores to help you sell your used car.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #11

Mick,take your trailer to Harrington,Maine,Sunset Point CG. Ask the owner about some fresh Clams. Cook clams in trailer,you will not have the NEW smell any longer! Have him cook & deliver (Lobster) while there as well. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #12

The US govt. has finally listed formaldehyde as well as styrene as carcinogenic. Hello! Like anyone who ever smelled the stuff could possibly think it was good for you! I'm wondering if Mick Land in his first post is simply responding to that govt. anouncement? RVs are built with materials that are light weight as well as inexpensive. The "new" focus is on ultralight trailers - ones that can be towed by popular SUVs. What would your trailer / motorhome weigh if it were built from non chemical containing materials - metal, solid wood, ceramic shower tile and bathroom fixtures etc.

Yes airing out the units helps to dissapate the offgassing. I wonder what restrictions if any there are on materials used in their construction
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #13
Commercial Member

My division uses "Azdel - Superlite" which is Formaldehyde free and ALL Forest River divisions use low formaldehyde emitting materials (to my knowledge). Not all "new" smells are Formaldehyde.

Prior to Katrina & the Fema units I don't recall a single issue, post Katrina you'd think those thing were made of solidified Formaldehyde panels

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #14

I bought this unit brand new in 2007 , 5th wheel 33 ft bunk house. The smell attaches it self to everything that is the unit. Clothes, dishes, toys, etc..... I have aired this unit out in everyway you can think of.
Mick Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I've got an '09 Rockwood 2106 that was built in Aug' of '08. I purchased the TT in the fall of '09. Yes it did have a strong "new" smell to it when I purchased it. I didn't have much of a chance to air it out when I got home w/ it. The following spring when the warm weather arrived I kept the roof vents open & went thru a few Airwick fresheners. After a couple of weeks the new smell was barely noticeable.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #16

Mick Land the trailer is 4 years old. If the smell is not getting less then something else is going on. It would drive me crazy as well.

Off gassing can take a while - but is less over time. I'm sure it feels like the odor is everywhere but can you pinpoint what has the strongest smell?
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #17
(Kim)

Try used coffee grinds, they are awesome at absorbing odours.
I saved a few days worth and put them in all the drawers/closets and on the main dinette, left them there for a couple of days.......'new' smell is gone.
=]
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
This subject line reminds me of a joke on (I think) the Two Ronnies. One character gives the other a bottle of liquid and says "Tell Malcolm to hide this." The other says "what's in the bottle?". The first one says "It's formaldehyde." The second one says "You told me what to do with it, but what's in the bottle?"
In the same light............try burning "Fork Handles" that should hide the smell! (Four candles) also "Two Ronnies".

Farm hand goes into general store, asks.....Fork handles? Server behind counter slaps down four candles (wax) You know how the rest goes

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #19

What Forest River Lines use AZDEL or other composites?

Forest River needs to do a much better job in touting/advertising what products contain AZDEL and other composites! So, AZ Del says Forest River is using the stuff, so where. I can not easily find it on any of the product information on the web sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
My division uses "Azdel - Superlite" which is Formaldehyde free and ALL Forest River divisions use low formaldehyde emitting materials (to my knowledge). Not all "new" smells are Formaldehyde.

Prior to Katrina & the Fema units I don't recall a single issue, post Katrina you'd think those thing were made of solidified Formaldehyde panels
BoeingGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
Try used coffee grinds, they are awesome at absorbing odours.
I saved a few days worth and put them in all the drawers/closets and on the main dinette, left them there for a couple of days.......'new' smell is gone.
=]
My brother & SIL mentioned that I put a tray of charcoal briquettes in my TT when I winterized it for the 1st time. I'm not sure what the purpose is. Charcoal is used as a deodorizer.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote