Old 03-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #41
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Well said... Therein lies the problem with FR and all other manufacturers of RVs. They don't check. They won't check. They're not going to check. It's encumbered upon me to catch everything wrong during my PDI?!?! What does that tell you about how much they care about you and me, their customers? I didn't buy from all those suppliers, I bought from FR. I won't again, most likely. The sad part is that some other manufacturers trailer probably won't really be any better.

So, I would say, congrats for being able to draft a nice letter. Congrats for being able to build this company over 20 years... but... Congrats on building a great product...? Not so fast!

My trailer's over 4 years old. It's in great shape and still shines. It's not that way because it was made well. It's that way because I've spent countless hours fixing everything and reinforcing places in the cardboard walls, where electrical outlets have popped out just going down the road. I've replaced the plastic sink, the pump, the outside shower, some plumbing under the shower pan, the skylight, adjusted the slide, and I could go on forever... but by now you get the gist. Sorry Turbs... I ain't buyin' it.

You don't have to, that's the beauty!✌️

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"

Old 03-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #42
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
So that makes them "suppliers" as referenced in the sixth paragraph of the letter.

And many complains about quality refer to supplier furnished parts/components. Suppliers are an extension of FR.
The problem is, that FR or any other RV manufacturer may only have one or two choices for their suppliers.
It's not like the auto industry.

Look at how many products are under Dometic . For awnings you only have Dometic or Carefree. Lippert makes nearly all the trailer chassis.

Too blame them for not finding better suppliers isn't quite fair if you have virtually no other choices.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #43

1. CONGRATS to Forest River and Pete Liegl for 20 fabulous years!
  2. CONGRATS to FROG Bob for having over 50,000 members in the Forest River Owner's Group!)
  3. We are FR Owners for Life - would not even consider another brand!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
If anything was defective out of the box it should have been caught during pdi

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Ah-YUP!

In almost every case of problems with a new RV that I have read on this forum and hear at rallies, it all comes down to a PDI and/or a complete and through walk-thru when you pick up your unit!

I have read accounts of people driving over 2,000 mile to pick up their RV and are in such a rush to get back home that they do not even perform a cursory PDI! Then they get home and find things broken and complain. Shame on them!

I am sure someone will reply to this post and say that it is ultimately FR's fault. Balderdash! It is your responsibility as the owner to make sure things function correctly. FR & the RV builders are human and as such things WILL happen. RV Parts suppliers are human and as such things WILL happen.

FR makes GOOD on their production deficiencies! FR *IS* committed to customer service! I should know, I am the poster child for that claim: FR Techs spotted delamination on our DS wall at Goshen last year and said they would replace the wall after the rally if we would stop by the factory. When I told them I had to get back to work in Alabama, they did not bat a eye, gave me the number to their logistics division and they dispatched a transport driver to pick up our rig at our home in Alabama and return it when it was repaired!

Poor customer service? FR doesn't care about the owners? I think not!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #45
Members

Congrats to all at Forest River from a very satisfied couple!
Tommy Joann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:35 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Joann View Post
Congrats to all at Forest River from a very satisfied couple!
That's how we feel....Thanks for all you do FROG Bob!

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #47
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The problem is, that FR or any other RV manufacturer may only have one or two choices for their suppliers.
It's not like the auto industry.

Look at how many products are under Dometic . For awnings you only have Dometic or Carefree. Lippert makes nearly all the trailer chassis.

Too blame them for not finding better suppliers isn't quite fair if you have virtually no other choices.
Strictly guessing. How can you be certain that they "...may only have one or two choices..." Be interesting to see what other RV makers use in their products to be absolutely sure.

The choice they probably make is based on the bottom line.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #48
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
There is an old saying that goes, "The reward for good work is no punishment."

In this case, the reward for continuous product improvement is "more customers." Really now, if FR was so terrible, don't you think "the word" would have gone out?

Not to say a "Made on a Monday" camper does not make it out the door occasionally, but there are FAR more happy FR campers out there than not.

Success in your chosen profession is not an accident. It takes hard work, dedication, and, a drive for perfection. FR is NOT perfect, but it is a company that strives to be from my limited experience with them.
Sorry Herk,but I can't agree that FR "strives" to be perfect. I say that partly based upon our personal experience with our 2012 Silverback 29RK. It was back to the dealer three times for microwave replacement,once for improperly installing the washer/dryer combo,etc. I also say that based upon all the complains about improperly installed components,faulty materials,etc. from members here.

Just the mere fact that saw dust and miscellaneous pieces of hardware being left behind,improperly drilled holes in the cheap cabinets and walls,leaking plumbing,etc. hardly points to worker and management pride in their work and the resultant products.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #49

I looked at a lot of product before I purchased my Flagstaff t21qbhw. in my opinion, Forest River offers the best product value for an affordable price. Thank you Forest River !
Old 03-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #50
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Strictly guessing. How can you be certain that they "...may only have one or two choices..." Be interesting to see what other RV makers use in their products to be absolutely sure.

The choice they probably make is based on the bottom line.
My statement is based on that most of the main stuff, is common in all different brands of RVs.
Dometic or Norcold fridges. Dometic or Coleman a/c's, Dometic or Carefree awnings or slide toppers, Lippert chassises, Suburban or Atwood water heaters and so on.
most of the main RV things are made by a handful of companies.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river