Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #1

Help! Help Wanted

Check out this list of jobs in the help wanted link from FR website... Yikes

Job Openings - Forest River, Inc.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
DDC

If you don’t pay well for peoples skills it gets very hard during times of good employment to entice good people.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
If you don’t pay well for peoples skills it gets very hard during times of good employment to entice good people.
Actually they are paying pretty well. I posted an article a while back from the WSJ about the boom times in Elkhart.. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1775586

I think it is more of a shortage of available workers. I’ve been to that area for repairs on my Cedar Creek (Topeka, IN). Pretty area but no way would I want to live there. It would just seem to me it would be a hard area to draw people to live and work even if wages are good.

You also know with that many job openings and a shortage of available skilled workers that many will be hired who are not qualified. They can be trained but that takes time and more importantly commitment from management. It happens all the time when companies grow fast.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #4

It's not only in IN. We took a tour of a Forest River plant in Hemet, CA and the plant manager said they are crying for help. He told us each plant has discretion and they changed to a $/hour system rather than piecework to try and get better quality. They made Sonoma and Wildwood.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Actually they are paying pretty well. I posted an article a while back from the WSJ about the boom times in Elkhart.. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1775586

I think it is more of a shortage of available workers.

I live in the area and can confirm that we're pretty hard up for workers. A few months back, the local news stated that the RV manufacturers and their suppliers have 20,000 more jobs than people to fill them. Current unemployment in Elkhart is 2.9% and still shrinking. Really, that means the only people that don't have jobs are those that don't want jobs.

I've never seen it so bad around here. Most places are now offering hiring bonuses (up to $500), extremely high hourly wages for the area (up to $20 an hour!), and very nice benefits packages. And they still can't find people. And trust me, $20 an hour for this area is good money.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaRedneck View Post
I live in the area and can confirm that we're pretty hard up for workers. A few months back, the local news stated that the RV manufacturers and their suppliers have 20,000 more jobs than people to fill them. Current unemployment in Elkhart is 2.9% and still shrinking. Really, that means the only people that don't have jobs are those that don't want jobs.

I've never seen it so bad around here. Most places are now offering hiring bonuses (up to $500), extremely high hourly wages for the area (up to $20 an hour!), and very nice benefits packages. And they still can't find people. And trust me, $20 an hour for this area is good money.
I see the welder jobs available....hope the wage is more than $20 an hour. They’ll never get skilled trades people hired at that wage. Not bad for unskilled workers though.
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by My17Ram View Post
I see the welder jobs available....hope the wage is more than $20 an hour. They’ll never get skilled trades people hired at that wage. Not bad for unskilled workers though.
For welding, it looks like that's still a pretty decent starting wage, according to salary websites. I don't know - we don't use or need welders where I work, so all I can do is google it. According to a few sites, average wage is around $36-38k a year, or $18.00-$19.00 an hour.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #8

I feel pretty good about our Rockwood ,looks like they're doing fairly well.
Our windjammer just rolled off the line. PDI at dealer went great, only found minor stuff.

Coachmen on the other hand, looks like it needs the entire plant.

I'd stay away from buying a coachmen.
vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #9
Site Team

Look at the experience requirements for the various positions.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #10

Wow...an electrician...and they say he should be able to read prints...and know how to use a tape measure. pretty basic skills. Being an employer just sucks

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #11

Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post

I think it is more of a shortage of available workers. I’ve been to that area for repairs on my Cedar Creek (Topeka, IN). Pretty area but no way would I want to live there. It would just seem to me it would be a hard area to draw people to live and work even if wages are good.

You also know with that many job openings and a shortage of available skilled workers that many will be hired who are not qualified. They can be trained but that takes time and more importantly commitment from management. It happens all the time when companies grow fast.

I wish I lived near Indiana (again). I was a QA Manager and Assistant QA Manager for Schult and Oakwood homes. Lot's of openings.
vicmic83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #12

I guess it's not surprising that the quality is so low. Those qualifications might just as well have said " must have a pulse and ability to arrive on time.
BigLou80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #13
DDC

So if there are just not enough people in the area made some smart management type will come up with an amazing idea that building somewhere else where there is an abundance of labour (not just cheap labour) would be beneficial, just thought.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:57 PM   #14

Im 10 minutes from the Rialto plant, if i was on strike from work I would go work part time there, would be nice to actually see how the plant runs that my TT came from. Not to mention that I take pride in my work, no matter where I work, so QC on my part would be excellent.
5Kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Kins View Post
Im 10 minutes from the Rialto plant, if i was on strike from work I would go work part time there, would be nice to actually see how the plant runs that my TT came from. Not to mention that I take pride in my work, no matter where I work, so QC on my part would be excellent.

Great job and good to hear. There are still a few of us out there with good work ethics.
YBLee is offline   Reply With Quote