Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Remember that the reason they are being recalled is the handle could blow off, injure or kill you, when you try to discharge them. I would not attempt to discharge the old ones or use them to "practice" with.
I guess I have to clarify my suggestion. Note that I said outdated extinguishers could be used for practice. I foolishly assumed that people would have enough common sense not to use an extinguisher that was recalled because the nozzle could blow off with lethal force. My understanding is that Kidde is providing a way to return the recalled units.

Just forget that I mentioned it.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #62

Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall

As per instructions I packed the defective unit in the box and took it to the local FedEx ship point which is a Kinkos. They would not accept it. The box has a hazardous label on it. The FedEx clerk questioned me and after I told her what was inside the box she said no. I have to take it to a FedEx main branch. It is about 15 miles from my house. I guess I will wait until I get all three replacement units and make one trip.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #63

Just submitted mine for recall... sure hope they make it easier to ship back the old when when the new comes along...

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:06 AM   #64
Censored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
I guess I have to clarify my suggestion. Note that I said outdated extinguishers could be used for practice. I foolishly assumed that people would have enough common sense not to use an extinguisher that was recalled because the nozzle could blow off with lethal force. My understanding is that Kidde is providing a way to return the recalled units.

Just forget that I mentioned it.
There was no mention of lethal force in the recall that I read. The one death attributed to the recall was due to a fire extinguisher failing to discharge.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
There was no mention of lethal force in the recall that I read. The one death attributed to the recall was due to a fire extinguisher failing to discharge.
See this page-- http://tinyurl.com/yah3p394
And here's a partial quote from lower down on that page--

Incidents/Injuries:

The firm is aware of a 2014 death involving a car fire following a crash. Emergency responders could not get the recalled Kidde fire extinguishers to work. There have been approximately 391 reports of failed or limited activation or nozzle detachment, including the fatality, approximately 16 injuries, including smoke inhalation and minor burns, and approximately 91 reports of property damage.

Now that I have re-read it several times I'm not sure if the failure to activate or detached nozzle caused the fatality.
Either way I also thought about just emptying mine out in the boonies but will wait and see what my return directions say and how far I'm supposed to transport this thing to return it.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #66
Censored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
See this page-- http://tinyurl.com/yah3p394
And here's a partial quote from lower down on that page--

Incidents/Injuries:

The firm is aware of a 2014 death involving a car fire following a crash. Emergency responders could not get the recalled Kidde fire extinguishers to work. There have been approximately 391 reports of failed or limited activation or nozzle detachment, including the fatality, approximately 16 injuries, including smoke inhalation and minor burns, and approximately 91 reports of property damage.

Now that I have re-read it several times I'm not sure if the failure to activate or detached nozzle caused the fatality.
Either way I also thought about just emptying mine out in the boonies but will wait and see what my return directions say and how far I'm supposed to transport this thing to return it.
No, the death (Brendan Rosco) was due to the extinguisher failing to discharge. The young man died in a car fire after a crash. I haven’t seen any reports of someone being killed by a nozzle.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
No, the death (Brendan Rosco) was due to the extinguisher failing to discharge. The young man died in a car fire after a crash. I haven’t seen any reports of someone being killed by a nozzle.
X2. Death by failure to discharge.
One thing for sure, I am not going out of my way to return the old ones.
40 million units recalled, 391 reports of failed or limited activation. I will keep mine.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #68
Commercial Member

Safety Recall

FR supplied my Freelander with a Kiddy fire extinguisher. This model has been recalled for safety reasons.

I let some of my friends know last week and 5 potentially defective extinguishers were discovered and will be replaced for FREE.

if you have a Kiddy brand or similar fire extinguisher you should check the info on THIS web page.

FR should have sent out a broadcast email to owners but I have heard nothing.

If your RV was a car made by a real vehicle manufacturer rather than just a company that assembles a bunch of parts as fast as possible, you would have automatically received notice when a potentially defective part is discovered.

Be safe and check all your extinguishers.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #69
Commercial Member

Post moved by site team to this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2kamp View Post
Wow, thank you for posting this. One FF-210D-1 replacement is on the way. I wonder what the "equivalent replacement" will be as they said the exact replacement is not available?

I wonder how other RV owners are being informed/contacted for this recall, who don't frequent forums online, etc.?

Would Forest River (original purchaser) or the purchasing dealer be responsible for notification?
IF FR were a real vehicle manufacturer, not just a company that assembles a bunch of parts that they take no responsibility for, every owner would get a notice.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 11-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #70

My other two showed up today. I have now returned the three bad units. Sure cannot complain about their speedy service.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #71
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
X2. Death by failure to discharge.
One thing for sure, I am not going out of my way to return the old ones.
40 million units recalled 391 reports of failed or limited activation. I will keep mine.
IMO exactly the wrong attitude and way to respond to a product recall.
1. Yes, no extinguisher actually killed anyone, just as no belt separation of a tire has killed anyone either.

2. Keeping the old extinguisher when you have provided the S/N would IMO make you liable for any loss if the subject extinguisher ever failed.

3. Some folks kept the recalled tires, some even sold the tires because they looked OK. There were accidents as a result. I would not want to try and defend such actions on court and competent lawyers will go after such actions.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
IMO exactly the wrong attitude and way to respond to a product recall.
1. Yes, no extinguisher actually killed anyone, just as no belt separation of a tire has killed anyone either.

2. Keeping the old extinguisher when you have provided the S/N would IMO make you liable for any loss if the subject extinguisher ever failed.

3. Some folks kept the recalled tires, some even sold the tires because they looked OK. There were accidents as a result. I would not want to try and defend such actions on court and competent lawyers will go after such actions.
So the reports about the Firestone tires separating and causing blowouts aren't true?
Old 11-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #73
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
So the reports about the Firestone tires separating and causing blowouts aren't true?
Not what I said in my reply to crunchman12001 comments.

According to my research on tire recalls some people choose to not have their tires changed but then complained later when they did have problems. This reaction has been observed for tire recalls from a number of different companies. NHTSA database is a pain to navigate but lots of facts are available for those willing to spend the time.

Some people dig up recalled tires from scrap piles, apply them to vehicles and then present them in an effort to obtain a new set. Others sold recalled tires to unsuspecting customers.

I was just bothered by the attitude expressed by crunchman12001.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #74
Site Team

This thread is NOT about tires.
Please don't derail it.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:41 PM   #75

Quote:

According to my research on tire recalls some people choose to not have their tires changed but then complained later when they did have problems. This reaction has been observed for tire recalls from a number of different companies. NHTSA database is a pain to navigate but lots of facts are available for those willing to spend the time.

Some people dig up recalled tires from scrap piles, apply them to vehicles and then present them in an effort to obtain a new set. Others sold recalled tires to unsuspecting customers.

Perhaps I didn't understand what you meant by this: "Yes, no extinguisher actually killed anyone, just as no belt separation of a tire has killed anyone either."
Old 11-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #76

Quote:

I am bothered by your attitude Tireman.
You compare my fire extinguisher to a defective tire? Really? How will I be liable for my defective fire extinguisher? Did I mention in my post that I was going to actually use it? Did I say I was going to point it at someone, discharge it and maybe put their eye out or choke them with the powder?
Since you are so bothered with my attitude, please let me explain....
I have no intention of driving anywhere out of my way to ship these back. I do plan to put the new ones in the kitchen, bedroom and garage to replace the "defective ones".
I also plan to put these in the garage on a shelf "just incase" with a label marked "defective" but since the oldest one is from 1987, just incase probably will never come.
Do us all a favor, stick to what you know... Tires.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #77
Site Team

Moderator's Note:

Please do not derail this beneficial thread because you don't like another member's comment. Play Nice.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Moderator's Note:

Please do not derail this beneficial thread because you don't like another member's comment. Play Nice.
Sorry!
Old 11-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #79

Checked mine from a 2014 Flagstaff 21FBRS. New one on the way.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:20 PM   #80

I have 4 replacement extinguishers en-route.

FWIW, I have 1 that is a "Kidde Fire Away", which is the large print name at the top of the label. The model number is simply: 1-A: 10-B:C. That did not compute on the web site. It also has an Issue No, and what I think is a serial number stamped into the metal on the base of the extinguisher

I called the replacement help desk to see if it was covered. After several go-rounds of "no, not covered", the agent decided to say that the unit IS covered by the recall when we told her that it was a "Kidde Fire Away" and she scheduled one for shipment.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall