Old 01-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #1

Leading in recalls? Interesting reading, More to the story.

Interesting reading to say the least.

Opinion: Gearing up for a new year of change | RV Daily Report

Old 02-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

Sounds like FR is from the "It's my ball, play by my rules or I'll go home" school. While recalls aren't necessarily the fault of the manufacturer, they are the ones who buy the products that go into their products, so ultimately, it is their quality that suffers. The problem is, RV's are built to a price point. The old function follows form rule. And, as consumers, we buy these faulty products, say things like, "my slide out stuck open, the furnace don't work, the roof leaks, the tires go flat, but they were all fixable so this is a very good product". As long as we, the consumer, head out with that mindset, why would ANY manufacturer want to spend more money to make their product better. Why would ANY company want to have a quality control department. If you watch the YOUTUBE videos on RV construction, you would think the manufacturers go over each product with a fine tooth comb. BUT, if that is the case, how do you get a motorhome where the trim is not matched? Where the carpet doesn't reach to the end of the floor? Where a door doesn't close because it is hung crooked? Where tools are left in storage compartments? Where pipes leak because they forgot to put clamps on the ends? How can a manufacture, with a straight face, say quality control? They can because we consumers say, other than those problems, this is a great unit. Reminds me of auto makers back in the 60'. They didn't care because they knew if you wanted a car, you had to buy theirs. Then the imports started and the makers cried "buy American, help your neighbor" but guess what... your neighbor was the one building and pawning off the junk on you. So, they HAD to improve or go out of business. We need to start NOT BUYING JUNK and force them to make a decent product. But, we won't cause "other than these few problems, it's a good product"........ I have told my dealer.. I WILL DO A COMPLETE INSPECTION OF THE UNIT AND WILL NOT SIGN UNTIL EVERYTHING I FIND WRONG IS FIXED FIRST, NOT AFTER I SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE. Maybe something along those lines is the answer. Fix first, not under warranty.
Jeff Houseless Not Homeless

Old 02-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #3

The original article was worded in such a way that it made FR look like the champion on recalls but the devil is in the details. Also at the top of the list was Newmar, explain that. The list showed each Thor owned company separately, had they been lumped together as they did with FR corporation divisions Thor would have been at the top. I'm not defending FR, they are no better or no worse than any other manufacturer in the industry. The difference with FR is that they are much better at accepting responsibility and resolving the issues. Just go to the International FROG Rally and you will see evidence of that. The auto industry went through the same thing some years back but now the automotive assembly lines are highly automated. No more Friday or Monday cars.
Camped 2016 - 71, 2017 3 done - 28 nights booked - 7 more planned
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #4

Color me a skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
The original article was worded in such a way that it made FR look like the champion on recalls but the devil is in the details. Also at the top of the list was Newmar, explain that. The list showed each Thor owned company separately, had they been lumped together as they did with FR corporation divisions Thor would have been at the top. I'm not defending FR, they are no better or no worse than any other manufacturer in the industry. The difference with FR is that they are much better at accepting responsibility and resolving the issues. Just go to the International FROG Rally and you will see evidence of that. The auto industry went through the same thing some years back but now the automotive assembly lines are highly automated. No more Friday or Monday cars.
Having read the consent order and taking note of the fine paid by FR (small potatoes I admit), I'm not exactly convinced that this is true.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #5

Sad !
2010 Flagstaff 26 RLSS (Sold 05/16)
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #6

Whew!

I wish I could have read or heard about all this before deciding to order a new RV. Now I'm scared to death to see what might come from the factory. I purchased my last RV from Trail Manor in 1996. I don't remember any real problems with it and used it for about 8 years. Everything was still working on it when I sold it. It even had to be trailered back to the factory for repair after a tree found on a section of the roof 1 month into ownership. Trail Manor was great about everything and there were no problems with it when I got it back. Apparently things have gone down hill since then. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Tags
recall