Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #1

Local News About RV Industry And the Economy

FYI, Last night on the local news in MD there was a report on how the economy was effecting the RV industry. According to the organizer of the RF show at the Timonium Fairground, the economy in the state that It's in is not hurting them in fact it is helping the industry. People are looking for alternative ways to travel. The attendends was higher this year then last year and sale are up. According to the organizer the prices on are RV's are lower and trade in values are up. The show was greared towards the new comers with young families, he said that the older group are already set up as they get ready for retirement.... I did notice while we were at the show last Saturday there were alot of rigs on display that had bunks. I also found at the show a 5th wheel with a max weight of 10,200 LBS that could be towed with a 1/2 ton pick truck and that's how they advertized it with big red letters, but kinda plain on the in side. I don't remember the manufacture.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We were there last Saturday as well. Attendance may be up but I didn't see any SOLD signs on the sides of vehicles. The other thing we noticed was inside most of the units there was a sign-up sheet if interested in any information. The most number of names we saw was 2 on 2 different models. Charlie's Camping Center had about half of the number of units they normally display. They had no Class "A" or "C" units at all and only 2 Class "B". I do agree prices were reasonable. Big Discounts on quite a few units.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
We were there last Saturday as well. Attendance may be up but I didn't see any SOLD signs on the sides of vehicles. The other thing we noticed was inside most of the units there was a sign-up sheet if interested in any information. The most number of names we saw was 2 on 2 different models. Charlie's Camping Center had about half of the number of units they normally display. They had no Class "A" or "C" units at all and only 2 Class "B". I do agree prices were reasonable. Big Discounts on quite a few units.

You are right, Charlies didn't have that many there now that I think about it. As far as sold signs, it was the second day of the show hopfully things changed after we left. I stop by charlies once in a while just to look when I take my son bowling on Saturdays at Kings point. We do have an 8314ss and we were thinking about the V-Cross by Forestriver, but there were none there, the other one we considering was the Rockwood 8314 BSS "bedroom slide out" and it weighs only 300 lbs more then the one I have, but I am not sure if I want to give Rockwood another chance with all the problems we have had with the one we have, I think I have all of them squared away now. Maybe I should keep what I have and leave well enough alone, It's paid for. We are still looking. I think we may take a trip to Reicharts in Hanover PA at the end of the month for there show, they do have the 8314 BSS on the lot.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #4

I sure wouldn't tow a 10,200 lb. fifth wheel with a 1/2 ton pickup! At least not for any significant distances or inclines. My 5750 lb. camper is a handfull enough for my half ton Dodge Ram hemi. Folks will advertise anything just to get you interested in a sale; that's what I think. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
I sure wouldn't tow a 10,200 lb. fifth wheel with a 1/2 ton pickup! At least not for any significant distances or inclines. My 5750 lb. camper is a handfull enough for my half ton Dodge Ram hemi. Folks will advertise anything just to get you interested in a sale; that's what I think. Randy
Randy, I agree it's crazy but they put this stuff out there. The rig was small and somewhat ugly anyway. To have something nice it would be well appointed and would end up weighing more and one would have to have a truck to tow it. Now a days the RV is suppost to be a home away from home and I think that most people like to have all the fruit saled they can get for the money and that was not the rig to buy for me.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
Most Flagstaff Fifth Wheels are lighter than 10000. And Randy's and mine V-Lite is lighter that the V-Cross. Now that may mean it will last longer. But who knows.

Right now, I think I would stay where I am at. If the economy really tanks, we all may be living in our trailers.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #7

That Idea has come across ower mines as well, living in the RV if the worst should happen.