Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
I was trying to keep the discussion light and friendly, but there's still the 2 questions that remain:

1. What is a "light weight fiver or TT" in your estimation? Please define. What is the maximum dry weight? Hitch weight? Cargo capacity?

2. What is maximum weight carrying capacity are you looking for on the bumper?
My Fifth wheel is labelled lightweight. The UVW is 7200 with a hitch weight of 1400. The spare wheel alone broke the welds on the bumper. I can deal with that. that's not the issue. I merely posed the question to the manufacturers here, if there is any possible way to make a trailer that can carry the weight of , lets just say 2 bikes, and still remain a lightweight trailer. or is it not possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Hi Chris, I got that you were trying to be friendly. Not sure why he reacted like that.

Triguy: I get that he was trying to be friendly too. He asked a couple of questions and I attempted to answer in a friendly way. I am not trying to take any strips off any manufacturer. Let the product speak for itself. I just asked the question and hope to get an answer. You highjacked my thread by making assumptions. Lighted up b'y.

Any more manufacturers willing to chime in? I'm a friendly guy. Geeze I got 32 friends on facebook. Half of them I don't even know.

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #22

Also, your thread title seems to imply there's some secret anti-bike rack society in the RV industry. I really don't think there is (but then again, I missed the last meeting).

Wildcat chris......thats to funny....I like the "but then again, I missed the last meeting"....way to keep it light ..........maybe its me, but I can't stop laughing.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #23

The I-beam on the frame under my camper is, at best, a 10 lbs/ft design. It isn't even a standard size, but a special ultra-lightweight design.
The flanges are only 5/32 inch thick, which ain't a heck of a lot more than 1/8th, which is basically just heavy sheet metal.
If they beefed it up to a reasonable 16 lb I-beam, and replaced the paper thin tubing in the fifth wheel area, it would probably add about 600 pounds to the frame, plus add the cost of the extra steel. I would accept the extra weight and cost, but I'd bet that would put it out of the reach of the guys pulling with 1/2 tons, as the dry weight would be well over 8000 lbs.
Now, the question is, does Lippert use this ridiculously light steel to save costs, or does the factory demand such light frames so they can sell relatively big campers as 1/2 ton towable?
For me, I wish they offered the option of a heavier frame. I love my camper, as there wasn't another out there with the great layout, but I hate the light frame.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #24

Was out looking over my Flagstaff 8524rls today for the first time in 4 months. Looking at the literature, it has a Dexter frame (maybe one less thing to worry about), but I would say the I-beam at the rear is also less than .125 thick. It has an ultrallite decal on the front, and listed dry weight is 6391. Dexter also says anything you do voids the warrenty. Wayne
Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Also, your thread title seems to imply there's some secret anti-bike rack society in the RV industry. I really don't think there is (but then again, I missed the last meeting).

Wildcat chris......thats to funny....I like the "but then again, I missed the last meeting"....way to keep it light ..........maybe its me, but I can't stop laughing.

He cracks me up too. not.

I tell you what. Forget I asked the question. I thought I dumbed the question down enough to get a straight answer, but apparently not. Too many smart asses.

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #26

rugged brown...It was a good question.....I just thought that quote was funny. I to always wonderd why on all trailers the bumpers were to light weight...........wild cat is just making this fun........
Old 03-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #27

New Keystone Outbacks have an installed "bike rack hitch" on the rear. So yes, it can be done.

JR

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

i see the receiver hitch is list for the outbacks . I wonder what the weight rating is ?

Chassis
Leaf spring equalizing suspension system
Powder coated I-beam
EZ lube axles
10�- electric brakes
15� radial tires*
15� spare tire, carrier & cover*
Aluminum rims*
Equa-FlexTM Suspension System
Rear bike receiver hitch
Old 03-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #29

I thought about a ladder bike rack...until I broke a rung going up on the ladder ( I am 175 lbs ).
Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #30

I have a 2012 v-lite 30wfkss and I want badly to put a bike rack on the back bumper. Bought the rack got all ready to install it and after checking on this site and another I backed out. Mine is under warranty and even the dealers will install one for me, voiding the warranty of course. The dealers will install anything you want for a price and when it comes down to frame problems they'll be the first to tell you the warranty was voided when the bike rack was installed. It's all about the mighty dollar. Now on a reg heavier frame it may be no problem but I wouldn't touch the frame on one that's catagorized a lite weight. I love my trailer but hate the frame.

Tags
led pad