Old 05-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #1

New Forest River Service Policy

Very interesting change in a new service policy for Forest River products. This should make for some interesting comments. Time to break out the popcorn.

New Forest River service policy irks RV dealers | RV Daily Report

Old 05-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Wow; good for FR.

Some of the dealerships needed a good strong kick in the tail.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #3

If true its a good start, and the manufacturers need to focus on quality control before these units leave the factory!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #4

Very interesting, I guess that explains the letter I just got in the mail after the purchase of my new 2018 sunseeker 3010DS. It provided a phone number and asked me to call immediately if my motorhome was at the dealer for more than 7 days for a repair.

-TEH721
TEH721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Where was this when my trailer was in and out of the dealer over the past couple years for the same issues? That said... can we do the same thing to FR when our units go back to the factory for repairs? Expect a 7 day turnaround time? I think this could be a good thing but I also think something needs to kick the RV manufacturers in the tails just as much as the RV dealers. I hope this works out the way it is intended as it could be a very positive change for the customer. Thank you FR.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #6

While sounds like FR is going to start holding the dealers accountable. Now if FR would hold their self accountable for a better QA it would be great. I see no reason why a new TT or 5th wheel should have trash in the water lines like I been reading about. Or have kinked lines or plugs or lights or anything else that a new owner finds out does work on there first outing. Seems to me they need to,slow,down and pay better attention to details. Just MHO.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #7
Lacey's Spring, AL

I think that it's fair, and in good customer service standards, to hold the dealer's feet to the fire about holding the customer's rv for 'ransom' for weeks on end, while the dealer 'complains' that FR hasn't sent them the parts yet.... sometimes that's just a cover for not having the time to do the repairs, or other customers have become a priority in the meantime.
I think it's something similar to the insurance law change several years ago about Loss of Value when a vehicle has been repaired after an accident. An RV that is sitting on a dealer lot, behind a locked fence, for weeks on end waiting to be 'repaired', is a big loss for the customer. A week's vacation loss. Travel change loss. Time is money, but time to vacation when you only have certain times to do it are even more aggravating and 'costly' to the owner.

Congrats, FR!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #8

I see this as a good start...but only as a start. The build quality and QC at FR has to be improved as well as the dealer's service departments. But at least someone is making an effort!
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
While sounds like FR is going to start holding the dealers accountable. Now if FR would hold their self accountable for a better QA it would be great. I see no reason why a new TT or 5th wheel should have trash in the water lines like I been reading about. Or have kinked lines or plugs or lights or anything else that a new owner finds out does work on there first outing. Seems to me they need to,slow,down and pay better attention to details. Just MHO.
Lol.....to me this policy is nothing more than an attempt by FR to stuff more of their turds into their dealers pockets. How about addressing the shoddy stuff that leaves Indiana, then address your supposed dealer problems?

I suspect if it stands dealers will be dropping FR as fast as possible. The execs at Thor, Winnebago, and some other manufacturers are probably jumping for joy.

That is unless the entire thing is being coordinated by the Gestapo (RVIA) and other manufacturers follow suit with similar policies of their own.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #10

quality control

I worked in dealerships on the service/parts management side over 20+ years and I was with Dodge for the years of 75'-91'. Man oh man all the A+C class coach repairs. you talk about no standards.. whew..... I was there for the Iacocca years and watched him take a company that couldn't produce a car or truck that would not leak or fall apart (I'm being kind) and reinstated Dodge's early heritage and what you see today. (i did own multiple mopar muscle cars ) Yes i know he created the Omni etc but these were transforming years. (a little grace here). I watched satellite conferences where he tore into dealers as well as his own people. Man i'll never forget a satellite meeting when Ford released the Explorer and just annihilated the Jeep Cherokee small SUV market share. wow. don't want to see that again. He was determined to turn Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler around and establish a new mindset. i watched the warranty go from 4mo/12mo/12,000 miles to the 50,000 mile powertrain then the settled 3yr/36,000+5yr/100,00 mile warranties. people said he was crazy. TRUTH:: it was change or go away. This was significantly generated by our asian counterparts that were determined to gain market share. I worked for Datsun/Nissan, Toyota, Volvo, Subaru, etc and they slowly infiltrated the markets. I'm not making a pro or con statement just what happened. I will not start on the Gov't loan & payback, EARLY! I truly think the RV/Camper market is coming to this realization.Late, yes but hopeful, yes!

2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, forest river, service, warranty