Old 10-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Newbie Economics Before purchase.

Okay I know nothing about RV's but I am entering a new stage in my life of kids at college, retirement in a few years (?), and a desire to travel across North America. The life style sounds interesting, but what of the economics?
I would use it for longer vacations, probably 2 weeks to 6 weeks I imagine.

So what is the expected life span of an RV (10 yrs?), what could I "plan" on costs of maintenance, insurance, etc.

What do prices range for camping at sites?

What other costs should I consider in the equation that others have found (ie costs associated with travel and ownership)?

Are there any websites that will help with this dilema?

All help appreciated

pezzhull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Hey Pezzhull,

My experience with Rv-ing is limited, but through a little web research, I would think that you might be able to answer all those questions you have. Hopefully some of these will help.

First place i would start is here:
This looks like a pretty good site to start talking about maintenance, checklists, costs, what to expect, etc.

As for price ranges for camping sites:
This is a great place to estimate mileage, camping amenities, seasonal rates, etc.

This site might be helpful as well for 'general' information:

There are dozens of RV-ing magazines that are also available as well as books, but in my opinion, I think the best way to get the advise you want is to talk to the people who are doing it. Maybe plan a couple of camping trips during the summer when the camping hosts are onsite. Then become a 'good neighbor' and see if you can talk shop with them about what they know and what they do. They are typically busy during the weekends when everyone is checking in and out, so you might consider going during the week when things slow down a bit.

My wife and I have met a couple that comes to Granby Colorado every year and in one evening, we were able to talk to them a little about how and when they decided to make a lifestyle out of hosting campsites. We have since continued to visit them a few times a year and make it a point to keep in touch while they're camping in the warmer states during the winter.

I hope that this will give you a start on where to find some information and I think that after reading some more forums, magazines, websites, and talking to full timers, you will have a pretty good idea as to what you'll be getting into. As anyone might say, sometimes just jumping into it with both feet is half the fun of it. Think of it as 'on the 'job' training'

Take care and good luck!

Where we've been:

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
Site Team
Perhaps more significant will be the cost of your tow vehicle and the cost of fuel for longer towing trips. Our round trip from Minnesota to Wyoming/Montanna and back cost $1,500 in fuel alone.
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
I would suggest renting a camping unit for a week of vacation and trying it. That way you can get the feel of the type of unit you would be interested it. Our local dealership will rent units to you and if you decide that is the unit for you then the rent comes off the price. You mite look into your local dealership and see if they have a program like that. Just my .2 worth. good luck on your decision
fourwalls is offline   Reply With Quote