Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #101
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
Looked at several models with outside kitchens. Asked my bride what she thought and she gave me the "seriously, dear?" look. Ok. No outside kitchen. Cool concept. Keeps the inside from getting smoked up. But I prefer cooking on a grill outside, though.
Your DW doesn't see the benefits.
No trampling through the camper everytime you need something to eat ourside.
40 less trips to go get the salt, opps forgot the butter and oh dear I forgot the ketchup.
50 less trip for beer.
Oh this isn't warm enough take it in and nuke it.

Btw we've had an outside kitchen for 5 years and you wouldn't believe how much you use it!

Unfortunately we're trading Saturday for a unit without an outside kitchen, it'll be the biggest loss .

Said we'd never have another unit without one but there's not one close nor in the price range of what we want.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:08 AM   #102
I go RV'ing not Camping

I just don't see how people can go RV'ing without an outside kitchen....That was the #1 reason we bought out 312qbud, the bunkhouse bedroom for the kids was #2....I think we have cooked once in the inside of the trailer in 30 nights out this year.....and a cold drink is never further than 20ft away....Outside kitchen just makes sense to me
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:42 AM   #103

I do a bit of catering. Usually outdoor weddings or grad parties at private residences. We normally take the mh with my bbq smoker being towed behind.
Our current unit does not have a outdoor kitchen which is the primary reason we are looking to go new. A outdoor kitchen for me would be priceless.
The biggest drawback I can think of is the outdoor fridge needs shore power or run the gen set the entire time. Often times at these events we are not hooked up to shore power.

I have been talking to Nexus about a new unit in which they will custom build a kitchen where the fridge will be 2 way.
A outdoor kitchen really limits your model choices in most manufacturers though. Which is nice about Nexus they will custom what you want. Seem to be great people to work with so far.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:44 AM   #104

I am really looking to downsize, child grown, no wife. The outside kitchen just isn't avail in the smaller models.

With out a doubt it is the most used feature of my current camper.
I usually keep the back fridge empty then transfer food to it as I set up not a big deal, the dry ice trick sounds good though.
brownie289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:48 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie289 View Post
I am really looking to downsize, child grown, no wife. The outside kitchen just isn't avail in the smaller models.

With out a doubt it is the most used feature of my current camper.

I usually keep the back fridge empty then transfer food to it as I set up not a big deal, the dry ice trick sounds good though.

I'm not sure how small of a model you are referring to. Our previous camper was a 21ft rear bath. It was perfect for one or two people and had a solid kitchen outside with huge bath as well. I think it was made by RVision who may not be around anymore. It really was a good floor plan, but we outgrew it with a baby and now a second on the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444819541.730312.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	91492
Old 10-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
I'm not sure how small of a model you are referring to. Our previous camper was a 21ft rear bath. It was perfect for one or two people and had a solid kitchen outside with huge bath as well. I think it was made by RVision who may not be around anymore. It really was a good floor plan, but we outgrew it with a baby and now a second on the way.

Attachment 91492
I like that
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
I like that

Thanks.. I was torn when we upgraded. It was a great smaller trailer.

Here are the pics of it on the lot and a few others. https://picasaweb.google.com/1002308...COaet5qVl6GPYQ
Old 10-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
Thanks.. I was torn when we upgraded. It was a great smaller trailer.

Here are the pics of it on the lot and a few others. https://picasaweb.google.com/1002308...COaet5qVl6GPYQ
Is that the new one or the old one .I like that one to .I like that they make them outside kitchen with out bunk beds now I have no used for them. so my next one will be with a out side kitchen
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:54 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
Is that the new one or the old one .I like that one to .I like that they make them outside kitchen with out bunk beds now I have no used for them. so my next one will be with a out side kitchen

The link is pics of our old camper(same as the pic above). The new one is a 30ft bumper pull toy hauler. No outside kitchen anymore which was a tough decision.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:42 AM   #110

That looks just like the ticket!
Very nice kitchen.

2015-26days, 2014-32days,
2013-33days, 2012-30days
Old 10-15-2015, 04:43 AM   #111

That looks just like the ticket!
Very nice kitchen.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #112

OK ... I'm going to go against the grain here. We're in the process of trading our TT (Keystone Laredo 291TG), with a large outside kitchen, for a shorter toy hauler (Vengeance 25V) without the OK. I do like the idea use of it but it really didn't fit our needs. I removed the grill that came with it since I couldn't keep it lit with the slightest breeze and the cook top that came with it took forever to boil water so I never used that either. I've always cooked outside on a Weber Q and/or my own Coleman stove anyway so I didn't need them or the hassle of using the ones that came with the rig. Also, we dry camp maybe 50% of the time and you can't use the outside fridge.

And yet another issue, which I just can not get over, is the outside sink is plumbed into the black tank. I found this out when the sink wasn't draining and later in the day noticed the blank tank was full. Yes, it backed up into the outside sink ... ABSOLUTELY GROSS and can't be that safe either.

John
johnm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #113

Really like our outside kitchen. Has cabinets, fridge, sink and space to work on. Pulse our grill swings around from bumper so we have a nice cooking set up. Thinking of putting a small microwave in it. Great for when we have company and very useable for the two of us. No running in and out of trailer. We like to stay out side as much as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm1 View Post
And yet another issue, which I just can not get over, is the outside sink is plumbed into the black tank. I found this out when the sink wasn't draining and later in the day noticed the blank tank was full. Yes, it backed up into the outside sink ... ABSOLUTELY GROSS and can't be that safe either.

John
Plumbed to the black tank?? What would possess them to plumb it to the black tank rather than the grey? Unless someone at the factory thought it was a outdoor toilet

Some people have said their sink bowl comes out for emptying. Do you just walk behind the camper and dump it out on the ground or bring it inside and dump it in the kitchen sink and into the grey tank? I can't imagine those sink bowls being very large I would think you would be needing to dump them quite often.
The only other way I can think of is having a 5 gallon bucket underneath the sink with a open drain and dumping the 5 gallon bucket once or twice a weekend.
I'm asking because if I have mine custom made I have options on how I want it set up so I'm curious how folks are doing this.
My first inclination is to have it plumbed directly to the grey tank.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #115

On my Tracer my outside sink goes to the black water tank as well.
Honda eu3000 Generator
2015 Nights Camped : 37
2014 Nights Camped : 33
Quasipato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasipato View Post
On my Tracer my outside sink goes to the black water tank as well.
Wow. I just don't get it.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
Wow. I just don't get it.
I can't imagine what it would hurt... Most folks don't use enough water in the black tank anyway.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I can't imagine what it would hurt... Most folks don't use enough water in the black tank anyway.
See JohnM1's post above. It's all good until you over fill and the black tank backs up into your outdoor kitchen sink. I get it, you shouldn't be overfilling but most times peoples monitoring systems are at best inaccurate or don't work at all so it is often times guess work as to how much is in your tank.
If I guess wrong I would much prefer grey water backed up into my sink than the uh, alternative.
The sink water is considered grey water isn't it? Only makes sense it would drain into the grey water tank.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:41 AM   #119

If I were having a RV custom built, I'd go for the largest tanks (fresh, black & grey) that could fit and the sinks would go to the grey tank(s). We had a 5er that had 2 grey tanks and boy was that nice!
johnm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
See JohnM1's post above. It's all good until you over fill and the black tank backs up into your outdoor kitchen sink. I get it, you shouldn't be overfilling but most times peoples monitoring systems are at best inaccurate or don't work at all so it is often times guess work as to how much is in your tank.
If I guess wrong I would much prefer grey water backed up into my sink than the uh, alternative.
The sink water is considered grey water isn't it? Only makes sense it would drain into the grey water tank.

Well, based on my own experiences with the black tank overflowing, (see my thread called "how not to use the black tank flush" from about a year ago if you want to know that story) it would leak at the toilet before it ever backed up to the kitchen sink, as long as the sink is higher than the bottom of the toilet. There's always the concerns that germs could migrate up the drain, but a simple check valve could reduce the likelihood of that too.

So all in all, I wouldn't consider an outside tank going in to the black as a biohazard.

But given the choice, it would make more sense to be plumbed to a grey tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
outdoor kitchen