Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #1

Power Products acquires Progressive Industries

I hope this does not affect the quality or customer service of this great company.

MENOMONEE FALLS, Wis. — Power Products has acquired Apex, N.C.-based RV electrical equipment manufacturer Progressive Industries from Thomas Fanelli. The terms of the transaction, which was completed April 7, were not disclosed, Milwaukee Business News reported.
Progressive Industries, which has about 30 employees, makes surge protection equipment, adapters and connectors used by RV owners. The company will retain its branding and operations in Apex. The current management team at Progressive Industries will remain in place, save for president and former owner Fanelli, who will retire, the publication explained.
The acquisition opens up new growth opportunities for Power Products in the RV industry, said David Scheer, chief executive officer of Power Products.
The full story is available at Milwaukee Business News.
This marks the 19th announced consolidation within the RV industry since Jan. 1, according to reports published by RV Daily Report. Some deals may have been announced during RV Daily Report’s end-of-year break in late 2016, but the news was published after the new year. Here is the current 2017 RV industry consolidation scorecard:
Dealerships
Jan. 3 – Camping World acquires RV World of Georgia
Jan. 10 – Camping World acquires RV-Max: Three locations in Texas
Jan. 19 – Camping World buys Jamatt RV in Oklahoma
Feb. 2 – Camping World buys Nelson’s RV in Idaho
Feb. 16 – Camping World acquires McGeorge’s RV in Virginia
March 3 – Willkins RV acquires Ballantyne RV in New York
March 8 – Camping World acquires Safford RV in Virginia
Manufacturers
Jan. 2 – REV Group takes over Renegade RV
Feb. 10 – Hymer acquires Explorer Group in England
Suppliers
Jan. 2 – Covercraft acquires ADCO
Feb. 2 – Dexter acquires Tie Down Engineering
Feb. 9 – Lippert Components acquires Sessa Klein
March 16 – Ultrafabrics merges with Daiichi Kasei Company
March 20 – Patrick Industries acquires Medallion Plastics
April 3 – Valterra acquires Diamond Group
April 4 – The Eastern Company acquires Velvac
April 12 – Power Products acquires Progressive Industries
Campgrounds
Jan. 20 – Zeman Homes buys Paradise Camping Resort in Grand Prairie, Ill., and Seasons in the Sun RV Resort in Mims, Fla.
April 4 – Diversified Investment Companies acquires Hidden Creek Camping Resort in Marion, N.C.

Power Products acquires Progressive Industries | RV Daily Report
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I just bought a Progressive EMS. I can only hope they improve quality. The grounding system for non portable cordage is a joke. The ring lug crimp on 6/3 solid ground is not user friendly for many without a proper T and B crimper for non insulated lugs and a 400 watt soldering iron to solder the connection. The connections inside are tight to make, the box being a bit bigger and a split nut for the grounds would be a good start.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I just bought a Progressive EMS. I can only hope they improve quality. The grounding system for non portable cordage is a joke. The ring lug crimp on 6/3 solid ground is not user friendly for many without a proper T and B crimper for non insulated lugs and a 400 watt soldering iron to solder the connection. The connections inside are tight to make, the box being a bit bigger and a split nut for the grounds would be a good start.
I have had no problems installing the 30 amp hard wired versions on 3 different rigs, and did not need to crimp or solder anything.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #4

Quote:

The 50amp HW unit could be a bit easier, but honestly what couldn't? A longer and bit wider box would have made it easier. Yes.

It is minor compared to other needed items in price and installation difficulty. I am happy overall.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #5

Being a Engineer I am just too picky working on high power stuff. The EMS is not CSA approved, just UL. They say UL for Canada on the box, no such thing. I should get a Electrical Inspector I know that works for the ESA to pass it.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #6

I'm hoping that they will still honor the warranty and replacement program. Seems like every time I buy something the company goes out of business or gets taken over by someone else. I lost 2 years warranty when Evergreen closed its doors.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
I'm hoping that they will still honor the warranty and replacement program. Seems like every time I buy something the company goes out of business or gets taken over by someone else. I lost 2 years warranty when Evergreen closed its doors.
The story is management and operations will stay the same for what that's worth. At least they were not gobbled up by Lippert like everything else LOL.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Being a Engineer I am just too picky working on high power stuff. The EMS is not CSA approved, just UL. They say UL for Canada on the box, no such thing. I should get a Electrical Inspector I know that works for the ESA to pass it.
I worked in safety certification (UL, CSA, TUV (European), etc.) for about 20 years. In about 1990 and in accordance with NAFTA, UL was authorized to test and certify to CSA and vice versa. You can tell if UL has certified to CSA by looking at the UL mark. If you see a small "c" printed near the bottom of the UL mark it has been approved to Canadian standards. If the CSA mark has a "us" near the bottom of the CSA mark it means that CSA has tested the product to UL standards. Both these marks are acceptable by both governments. This was a very good benefit from NAFTA because is avoided the need to send a product requiring certification to both UL and CSA. Hope this might help save you some big $$. I would not rely on just the box saying it was approved, and you need to check the mark on the product. You can also call UL in Northbrook, IL. if you still have concerns.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #9
Canadian Member

^ I learned something today! Thanks for this post.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
I'm hoping that they will still honor the warranty and replacement program...
X2
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #11

Having seen a lot of positive comments in these forums and elsewhere about Progressive Industries surge protectors, I just ordered an EMS-HW30C to hardwire into my Viking 21RD. I figure the cost of that unit versus the potential damages it may prevent is worth the investment. So far, the worst part of the install looks to be working under a half-folded rear couch to get into the compartment where the shore cable is located. I hope the quality is as I expect.
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
I worked in safety certification (UL, CSA, TUV (European), etc.) for about 20 years. In about 1990 and in accordance with NAFTA, UL was authorized to test and certify to CSA and vice versa. You can tell if UL has certified to CSA by looking at the UL mark. If you see a small "c" printed near the bottom of the UL mark it has been approved to Canadian standards. If the CSA mark has a "us" near the bottom of the CSA mark it means that CSA has tested the product to UL standards. Both these marks are acceptable by both governments. This was a very good benefit from NAFTA because is avoided the need to send a product requiring certification to both UL and CSA. Hope this might help save you some big $$. I would not rely on just the box saying it was approved, and you need to check the mark on the product. You can also call UL in Northbrook, IL. if you still have concerns.
Thank you. I will check for the small C on the Progressive. I know when I called them in the past they said only installed product passed inspections, plug in units did not pass in Canada.

I have done Ontario Hydro Special K inspections in the past for things we have built (Broadcast Installations) that were built b qualified broadcast engineers with RF training but way above a journeyman electrical knowledge level when it came to control wiring.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Thank you. I will check for the small C on the Progressive. I know when I called them in the past they said only installed product passed inspections, plug in units did not pass in Canada.

I have done Ontario Hydro Special K inspections in the past for things we have built (Broadcast Installations) that were built b qualified broadcast engineers with RF training but way above a journeyman electrical knowledge level when it came to control wiring.
Thanks for that Ingo! They were good perhaps the CAN get better!
Three trailers next to me on the same circuit got fried but THE PI ate it and spit it out with NO tummy aches yet( at least for the last 2 season's)!

I'm not the genuis for buying it: but for using it every time!

I've seen some : "naked" campers crying while looking at their plug and the post that sent the pain to his amazing fifth wheel.

I just believe in redundancy: one you can see and others you cannot inside monitoring electric, water and RF.

The small wire leading to the : natural ground is almost in VISABLE yet not to cheap to abandon or forget but wasn't purchased in a plastic vac sealed packaging with a message, just a basic very old , curtain rod/ worm finder and static eater?

If they keep their standards and integrity​ and not just a hostile takeover, I may get a back up and suggest it to others. I may judge on the safe side but if the improve the breed it's worth the investment! Remember there are a lot of unprotected people out there and my parents taught me : if you need one but have three and they have none? You have two! If you have two and they need one etc. Someday you'll need one?
androclesandrocles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
Then there was : MEXICO? Ubecistan and the Democratic republic of.......

Good info about our northern friends , in some cases their CAS exceed ours, likewise with medicine except their release to the public is faster than our and when we catch up, they are IMPROVING the best we came out with.
Some of my medicines are from Canada , Switzerland,Sweden and pen needles or test equiptment is is always a hard choice between them and my favorites: MADE IN THE USA. I HOPE tRumps ears are ringing and his palms are itching, I'm with ya now let's go!

Thanks for your experience and info, I'll be looking, now that I know where and what to look for. I suggest you may like to visit the US attorney's office web page for consumer affairs; the pictures are as good if not better that the story's!
androclesandrocles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power