Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #1

Thumbs up Prime Time LaCrosse

Since I'm not very happy with the basic quality of my current tt and have, and still am, experiencing structual issues, I decided to do a little looking around. Some of you probably already know about this, but I just found out that FR has a new division, Prime Time. They currently are making 3 different lines, Tracer (lite weight tt), LaCrosse (mid-level tt) and Crusader (mid-level 5'er). They have their own, brand new factory and this division is headed up by the guy who use to run the Montana division for Keystone, according to a dealer I talked to.

I found a few on the lot of a dealer and looked them over. Looks like they not only have added some nice new features but have made some vast improvements with the basic construction, at least improvements over what I currently own.

Some of the basic improvements are, the floors, walls (all 4) and roof are made with welded aluminum framing, no wood. The slideouts are made the same way. You can even walk on the slideout roof. 25 year warranty on all water lines and fittings. 25 year warranty on the rubber roof.

Talked with a salesman and I'm getting real close to a deal on one, LaCrosse 303 RKS model. Price and weight of the tt isn't very much more than what I currently have. Anyone who is interested in purchasing a new tt or maybe just looking should at least take a look at these tt's.

Here's a link to their web site. Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels

It contains the usual info but quite a bit more as well, detailed construction, features, contact info (not just for Prime Time but appliance vendors as well). It will take some time to read through everything, but to me it was time well spent.

Enjoy!

P.S. After looking their web site over, post what you think about 'em.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #2

I check out their site. Looks very interesting.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #3

I was impressed when I checked them out on the dealers lot. I know the LaCrosse is an upgrade from the "lite" model trailers, but man what a difference. The selling price is only a couple K's over what I paid for mine and the dry weight is only 700 lbs more.

CCC of the trailer is around 2,600 lbs. I was once told that's a sign of a well made tt. How much weight it can carry.

I was really impressed walking through the tt. Even though the stabilizers were not down, the flooring felt really solid through out the tt. As far as how they're constructed, floors, walls etc.., I think it's a step in the right direction.

I should know in a few days on the tt I'm looking at. We have a decent deal in place, I'm just checking on a few things, stalling actually, so my wife and I can take some time to decide if we really want to do it. We both want to make a trade in the near future, just want to make sure this is the deal we want.

Gotta love those "Slam Shut Baggage Doors" and "Keyless Entry" features.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #4

Well you should do the proper thing for the forum and go ahead and get it so you can give us reviews of it, good or bad, Hopefully good. I checked the website too and it l.ooks to be a pretty good brand.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #5

I agree with Kim. Go for it.

Hoo wa, hoo wa. Ya wa ya.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #6

Someones gonna get a new trailer.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #7

I think someone might be sittin' a little too close to the cooler!!!

P.S. Gotta extra chair close by?
Old 08-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #8

Just think, you would be the first one here (probably) with one. You would be famous. Well, sort of. I do have an extra chair and plenty of beverages in the cooler.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #9

I just got off the phone with the salesman a few minutes ago. He'll be calling back in the morning after he checks on a couple of things. The wife and I will talk about it till then. If she ready, I know I am, we'll probably make a drive up tomorrow, look 'em over one last time and if everything looks good, we'll start the financial part.

Wish us luck!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #10

We's all the times gots room 'round he a; and da cooler always be's got some'm in it.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
We's all the times gots room 'round he a; and da cooler always be's got some'm in it.
There are forum rules against empty coolers! They need to be kept full all the times plus the refrigerator should be full too. Food, who needs food.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Better take it easy on that cooler. You're startin' to slurr your type !!!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #13

Here's the info on the their construction.

Prime Time ETERNABOND Construction

ETERNABOND is the superior construction standard on all Prime Time recreational vehicles. EVERY wall and main floor is bonded together to create the lightest, yet strongest construction available on any RV in the industry.

Sidewall Construction
ETERNABOND Construction starts with the 5-layered sidewall standard on all Prime Time products. The frame of the sidewall is created with aircraft quality aluminum tubes that provide for a sidewall that is lightweight yet strong. This advanced framing technique will never rot, warp, deteriorate, mold, or mildew. The aluminum tubes are welded together, not screwed, to ensure a lifetime of structural integrity. The sidewalls are then stuffed with hi density EPS foam that creates a wall with very high insulative properties and sound-deadening qualities. In order to provide a secure anchor-point for interior walls and cabinets, a layer of electrogalvanized sheet metal (EGS) is strategically placed on the interior side of the aluminum and foam wall assembly. On top of the EGS, a layer of plywood decorative board is laminated to the aluminum and foam wall assembly providing a residential look that is extremely resistant to damage and punctures. The exterior layer of the sidewall is formed utilizing a one-piece, Gel Coated fiberglass. The Gel Coated fiberglass looks great, is extremely durable, and is easy to clean. The fifth layer of the sidewall is a plywood panel that is bonded between the fiberglass and the aluminum and foam wall assembly. This additional layer provides increased strength and a smooth exterior appearance.

An additional benefit to using solid EPS foam in the sidewalls is that it will never settle over time. Fiberglass insulation will often settle or “fall” in the sidewall after exposure to constant transit vibrations. It might be only a couple of inches, but the void created at the top of your wall allows warm air to escape in the winter, cool air to escape in the summer, and extreme condensation inside your unit. ETERNABOND Construction eliminates these voids for long-term thermal efficiency.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Endwall Construction
ETERNABOND represents more than just sidewall construction. In order to save money, most manufacturers choose to use non-laminated wood studding in places you might not expect – particularly the end walls. Not at Prime Time! Using the same advanced construction techniques found in our 5-layered sidewall, the end walls of your Prime Time recreational vehicle are built with lightweight, yet strong construction specifications.

Not sure how others might be built? Simply look closely at a rear wall. Is it flat, smooth, and solid to the touch? Then it’s probably built like a Prime Time. Is it wavy, bowed out, and spongy to the touch? Probably not built like a Prime Time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slide Out Construction
On a large percentage of Prime Time recreational vehicles, you will find a slide room enhancing the livability and function of the RV. Recognizing that the slide out construction is critical to the long term performance and durability of your RV, ETERNABOND Construction means advanced construction techniques are utilized in the slide rooms, too. All three walls of the slide out are built using our 5-layer, aluminum frame, bonded construction offering lightweight, yet strong construction that also provides excellent insulation and sound deadening properties. A Prime Time RV is unique in that the SLIDE OUT ROOF is aluminum framed and bonded with EPS foam to create a slide out roof strong enough to walk on.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Floor Construction
Traditional RV floor construction often flexes in the middle of the coach where the holding tanks are located. However, with ETERNABOND Construction, Prime Time has created a 6-layered floor system that is lightweight, yet strong that virtually eliminates the flex commonly found in RV floor construction. Prime Time’s laminated floor system features aircraft quality aluminum tubes welded together and stuffed with hi density EPS foam. For maximum strength and reduced flex, two layers of plywood are bonded on the top of the aluminum and foam floor assembly with seams staggered. On the bottom of the floor a layer of plywood is bonded to the floor assembly which is then bonded to a fifth and final layer of moisture barrier called “Blandex”. Another benefit of ETERNABOND Construction is that the resulting floor is virtually squeak-free.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #14

There ya go.
The key word here is Eternabond.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #15

Sounds almost like we have a new salesman here. Can't wait for your reports if you do get one. We can,t afford a new one right now but I,m going to their site anyway, just to check it out. Gotta keep onformed you know. Old Guys
Old 08-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by old guys View Post
Sounds almost like we have a new salesman here. Can't wait for your reports if you do get one. We can,t afford a new one right now but I,m going to their site anyway, just to check it out. Gotta keep onformed you know. Old Guys
Does sound like it, don't it? I really think I'm trying to sell myself on one. Even though we will have to take a hit on this trailer, my wife and I have decided we do not want to keep it. We actually feel it may be cheaper in the long run.

I do value the opinions of this forums members. That's why I asked people to look at Prime Time's web site and post what they think. We do feel like we probably have a lemon and most tt's similar to ours don't have all the problems we have, but we're hoping to find a trailer that's constructed a little better than what we have. Of course price and weight of the trailer are the limiting factors.

So thanks to all who check out the web site and post their opinions.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #17

Looks good. We compared it to our 27vfks v-cross. We prefer no carpet as we take our dog everywhere we go and my dw likes the counter space in our front kitchen. Other than that I could very easily see ourselves in a Lacrosse 27rb. The thing here is it is not what we like but what you like and also what kind of price you can get on it. Unfortunatly as a new model there is really no one who can offer opinions on quality and durability so you will be the guinea pig on these trailers. I suppose if you are that unhappy with your current unit it can't get much worse and it comes down to do you dance with the girl you came with or try out the flashy looking new girl in the neighbourhood. If you do decide to go for it you will be like us with our v-cross. Orphans with no site of your own on the forum but people wil still love you just the same. Whatever you decide, if you and the better half are happy, that is all that matters. Good luck and happy camping however it shakes out. Old Guys
Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #18

Old Guys, thanks for taking the time to look at the web site and offer your opinion.

As far as the floorplan and features of a trailer, I realize that's a personal choice. My wife likes our front kitchen floorplan because of the counter space, but the 303 RKS we're looking at has just about as much.

But my main concern is the overall construction procedures and materials. I know they cut back wherever they can producing "lite" trailers and as far as our trailer, it shows. Yeah, we have small problems that are considered normal, but we also have "above normal problems" & "above number of problems" (FR"s description of our trailer).

That's why the LaCrosse trailers caught my eye. A little different materials and procedures used in manufacturing which looks to me like an improvement over what I have. So I thought I would get some other opinions since my wife is always letting me know I'm not always right.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by old guys View Post
Orphans with no site of your own on the forum but people wil still love you just the same. Whatever you decide, if you and the better half are happy, that is all that matters. Good luck and happy camping however it shakes out. Old Guys

I have now set up a sub-forum for V-Cross located under 5th wheels and travel trailers. If and when Prime Time La-Crosse builds up a member base, we will do the same for that brand, as well as Blue Ridge if anyone has one of those.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #20

Thanks Kim. That wasn't necessary as I would have kept coming back here regardless. This has become pretty much the only forum I visit now. Thanks again......Old Guys...

Tags
prime time