Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #81
Commercial Member

I agree that there may need to be a more balanced way of doing this, especially for trades. A couple of things to keep in mind. When a trade-in comes through we'll have costs on our end. The way our Service department is set up, they almost act as a separate company from ours. So when ever they do a PDI (pre-delivery inspection)and they find all the things wrong with the unit, once it's been approved, the Sales department actually pays the Service. All that to say, we may give you a certain amount for a trade, but we also have to pour that much more into it and and then give us enough room to work with it.

So if I give you 3,000 for a trade and then pour another 1000 for Service and other stuff. I put it on the market for 5,000. I'm only making 1,000. I can't give you top dollar for the car or I simply won't stay in business.

That being said, I do agree that dealers probably undercut too much on trades. In our dealership, I think we're pretty straight forward, for the most part on how we handle things. Our website actually very clears says, that our pricing in a "No Trade Price." So at least people know up front.

Is it the best system? Probably not. Should it change? Probably so. It'll take a while though, it's hard to change something that's been so ingrained into the industry.

I appreciate your response. I think being able to express what a customer thinks and a dealer thinks is important.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #82
Commercial Member

Thanks for your reply. I like your take on everything. Even though I work for a dealer, as a customer perspective I agree with you on this. I know it's harder than just that. I'm trying to think what would happen if we actually just gave the actual price. LOL.

I'm not sure people would believe us. I do wonder if that would put Sales People out of a job. Around our dealership, the guys get commission based on how well they earned it. Problem is, we can't compete with price very easily. Not with some of the bigger dealers in our backyard. So somehow, we have to be the better dealer.

Maybe you can help me out. One thing we've always struggle with is keeping in contact with our customers once they've bought. Trying to get a picture of them camping can be difficult.

Thanks for your reply. I'll be looking back here for some ideas to implement into my website.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #83
Commercial Member

I have a quick question for everyone. We track how our users use our website using a program. It gives us an idea of what's important to you as the online user.

Something interesting that I've found. We have a "Share" button on everyone of our RV units. My data is showing that LOTS of people are clicking that share button. If you saw a "Share" button on a RV dealer website, what would you think it meant?

My problem is that lots of people press the button, but nobody is putting the Email in the blank to share it with somebody. It's weird. It makes me think that our users actually think it's a "Share" button for Facebook or Twitter.

If you were browsing a website, would you share it with Facebook and Twitter?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #84
MI Camperz

I think people are leery of sharing their e-mail, big time. I wouldn't.
For photos, you could have a contest with the stipulation that all entries are property of dealership, or just plain ask for them....like at my Vet's...there's a big board for people to post pics of their pet. Makes it "personal".
If you can't compete on rock bottom pricing, you have to carve a niche based on quality and personal service with a "we care attitude". Make you website consistently reflect those attributes. More importantly, the dealership as a whole has to reflect those attributes.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #85
MI Camperz

You know what would be really kewl and really unique and prolly draw a lot of lookers....lookers often become buyers.....make the ground a park-like setting....Some trees, benches, props and accessories....almost like being out there. Free coffee and water with the stipulation that it can't go in the campers would be nice. Maybe a central area with an artificial waterfall and garden with benches to rest. I'm sure you could design these props to take a minimum of space, working around the campers and in your showroom.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjesparza1988 View Post
I agree that there may need to be a more balanced way of doing this, especially for trades. A couple of things to keep in mind. When a trade-in comes through we'll have costs on our end. The way our Service department is set up, they almost act as a separate company from ours. So when ever they do a PDI (pre-delivery inspection)and they find all the things wrong with the unit, once it's been approved, the Sales department actually pays the Service. All that to say, we may give you a certain amount for a trade, but we also have to pour that much more into it and and then give us enough room to work with it.

So if I give you 3,000 for a trade and then pour another 1000 for Service and other stuff. I put it on the market for 5,000. I'm only making 1,000. I can't give you top dollar for the car or I simply won't stay in business.

That being said, I do agree that dealers probably undercut too much on trades. In our dealership, I think we're pretty straight forward, for the most part on how we handle things. Our website actually very clears says, that our pricing in a "No Trade Price." So at least people know up front.

Is it the best system? Probably not. Should it change? Probably so. It'll take a while though, it's hard to change something that's been so ingrained into the industry.

I appreciate your response. I think being able to express what a customer thinks and a dealer thinks is important.
Your example sounds very fair with making $1000. I was referring to auto dealers, in particular, who offer $7000 for a trade that even at "fair" book pricing is listed at $8600. The dealer then gives it an oil change, touches up scratches, etc, and details it, then lists it at $12500. That's the type of near-criminal deals I was referring to. And, not every dealer in any business is this way, but its the bad ones who tarnish the reputation of the honest ones.
FoCoNoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #87
Commercial Member

I really like that idea! Our main location doesn't have any room for that, but I like it.

Tags
customer service, website