Old 02-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #61

At the end of the day if all things are nearly equal. I don't care how good or bad your web site is..... we buy local when we can!!!!!!!!!! Of course we are lucky we have a huge dealer 4 employees & a 30+ year old building (Was a VW dealership building years ago) that has low overhead & sells at low prices & has great personal service.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #62

Ok, as an admitted internet shopping freak I'll give it a go.

1. I do not need to see 6 different angled pictures of the same side of the unit. One good full shot of each side showing window locations, door, hatches, hookups, etc. would suffice. Pictures of features are more important and you should focus there.

2. If there's an extra option on the build sheet show it. Both in the description and in the photos. It helps explain why one unit is $2k more than the one beside it that looks identical.

3. Place an item inside the storage compartments to give an example of size. Use something that most people would recognize. (Chair, milk crate, the boxes the TVs shipped in)

4. If you want your site to have something others do not, or at least I haven't found yet. Give us the option of building the unit on your site. Start with the base price and then allow us to add options and see the cost of each item if we decided to order it. Basically like auto manufacturers have on their sites. We understand we're not going to pay MSRP, but it's nice to see what MSRP would be with all the options we want.

5. If you're not going to put a sale price on your site at least put the MSRP as stated before. My local dealer in my home town had a unit I was interested in possibly if it was in my price range. I call and asked for a price as they had pretty good pictures and description on the website. I got the whole come on in, bring the wife, we'll make you a good deal... How Much? We'll make you a great deal.... That unit is still sitting there and I purchased last week elsewhere.

6. Video walkthroughs are great. Even better are the ones where the salesman shows and explains what makes that particular unit special. The dealer I eventually purchased from did a generic video for the Columbus line showing off some of the features available on all the units. I found this quite helpful and informative. Not only did it introduce me to the unit better, it showed me some of the features I didn't know I wanted until I saw them explained. (I recommend doing this on a loaded out unit with emphasis on AVAILABLE options)

7. Update your site regularly. I purchased my unit and picked it up on 1-25-13. The unit is still available to view on the dealers website. They are a volume dealer but theres no excuse if a buyer finds a unit and wants to purchase it for it not to be available. Some of us (ME) are spontaneous buyers. When I know what I want and you don't have it and someone else down the road does... Remember we're buying RVs and love to travel.

I'm sure I can think of a few more but I'll let these digest first. As others have said, Kudos for taking the bull by the horns and trying to reach the customer.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #63

Lots of pictures
When we Internet shop it's amazing the difference in the quality of the pictures.
I suspect some dealers are using their 5 yr old phone.
Unless we're looking for a specific brand/model if the pictures are poor we move on. (OH NO I just admitted we're not brand loyal)

No hassle price
The dealer for our SOB 5th wheel had a spread sheet you could check off the options you wanted and at the bottom below the MSRP in red was a note.
"Be sure to figure your ##% of msrp no hassel price."

ab&jb
Old 02-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #64
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbenjy View Post
Ok, as an admitted internet shopping freak I'll give it a go.

1. I do not need to see 6 different angled pictures of the same side of the unit. One good full shot of each side showing window locations, door, hatches, hookups, etc. would suffice. Pictures of features are more important and you should focus there.

Yes. This gives me really good insight on what to do with photos. I don't want repetitive photos. I want each photo to show something.

2. If there's an extra option on the build sheet show it. Both in the description and in the photos. It helps explain why one unit is $2k more than the one beside it that looks identical.

Thanks! I'll start implementing this!

3. Place an item inside the storage compartments to give an example of size. Use something that most people would recognize. (Chair, milk crate, the boxes the TVs shipped in)

I have to think about this. Having to carry props around might be cumbersome. But a $20,000 + dollar sale should make it worth it.

4. If you want your site to have something others do not, or at least I haven't found yet. Give us the option of building the unit on your site. Start with the base price and then allow us to add options and see the cost of each item if we decided to order it. Basically like auto manufacturers have on their sites. We understand we're not going to pay MSRP, but it's nice to see what MSRP would be with all the options we want.

I would LOVE this. However I'm limited to what my third party application uses. I may email them this suggestion.

5. If you're not going to put a sale price on your site at least put the MSRP as stated before. My local dealer in my home town had a unit I was interested in possibly if it was in my price range. I call and asked for a price as they had pretty good pictures and description on the website. I got the whole come on in, bring the wife, we'll make you a good deal... How Much? We'll make you a great deal.... That unit is still sitting there and I purchased last week elsewhere.

I think we do this pretty well. We usually have sale prices on most units. There are times that I don't get the prices right away.

6. Video walk-throughs are great. Even better are the ones where the salesman shows and explains what makes that particular unit special. The dealer I eventually purchased from did a generic video for the Columbus line showing off some of the features available on all the units. I found this quite helpful and informative. Not only did it introduce me to the unit better, it showed me some of the features I didn't know I wanted until I saw them explained. (I recommend doing this on a loaded out unit with emphasis on AVAILABLE options)

Yes! We try to do this. But sometimes I find myself doing the walk through because sales people are "busy" lol But I'm getting better "walk throughs"

7. Update your site regularly. I purchased my unit and picked it up on 1-25-13. The unit is still available to view on the dealers website. They are a volume dealer but theres no excuse if a buyer finds a unit and wants to purchase it for it not to be available. Some of us (ME) are spontaneous buyers. When I know what I want and you don't have it and someone else down the road does... Remember we're buying RVs and love to travel.

LOL. I try to keep up. Usually we mark them "sold" and they automatically go off a couple of days later.

I'm sure I can think of a few more but I'll let these digest first. As others have said, Kudos for taking the bull by the horns and trying to reach the customer.

Thanks for your input. This is valuable!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #65
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjb View Post
Lots of pictures
When we Internet shop it's amazing the difference in the quality of the pictures.
I suspect some dealers are using their 5 yr old phone.
Unless we're looking for a specific brand/model if the pictures are poor we move on. (OH NO I just admitted we're not brand loyal)

Lol. I use my iPhone 5. Which does very good.

No hassle price
The dealer for our SOB 5th wheel had a spread sheet you could check off the options you wanted and at the bottom below the MSRP in red was a note.
"Be sure to figure your ##% of msrp no hassel price."

I'm thinking of putting an extra page on our website that explains dealer fee, registration and taxes. Do you think this would help?

ab&jb
Thanks for your input!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #66
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Branden, I also like LOTS of Pics.but Open & Closed.So many people buy a unit then say (We cant get to or use the,Refer.,Bathroom,bedroom,Ect.) without running out the slides! If it is a (Seasonal unit the needs are a lot diffrent than a Traveling unit). I research on the Net but I have to Physically spend time in a Unit before we buy/order it. Good luck on your endeavor to supply Net Info on your site,but I still have to (Kick the Tires)! Youroo!!
Thanks for the input! In the industry we actually use the term "Tire Kickers" for those who just want to check things out!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
The only thing I do not like about Country Roads site they use stock photos not necessarliy the unit described.

I'm in Bassett VA, Country Roads in Lexington NC does have a very good web site, their attitude & customer servce is not the best (just my opinion.... were not very customer friendly to us but I will not get into that here). But I used their web site against them as knowing their price I got a much better deal locally (so did my son & his wife).
You are right about the photos. When we took delivery of our camper it did not have the hard, color-coordinated spare tire cover or the sink covers that were shown in the photos. They made us buy them separately. That's our only complaint about them.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #68
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin73 View Post
Make better unitsback your product & warranties. answer customers when they call the factory. I could go on, but I wont.
I was wondering if you could be a bit more clear on this. I don't totally understand.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #69

It's all in the details...

As marketing folks ourselves, we really appreciate your asking for opinions on this. We have spent many months researching units online. It's great to see them in person, but with so many makes/models and differing dealer inventory, online has been a huge part of our search.

The thing we look for most (yet find the least) is details specific to the listed unit:

We want to see pictures of the exact unit you are trying to sell: full outside/inside/front/back/hookups/bath/kitchen/dining/sleeping... Before we narrowed our search, we wanted to be able to tell if it has a crowned roof, outdoor tv hookups, glass shower surround, etc. We find it more convenient if you can choose to look at individual pictures rather than only having the option of a timed slide show that may move too fast or too slow. And, please don't upload any blurry pictures or pictures that are so dark you can't tell what you are looking at.

We like to see as much written detail as possible. What makes this unit unique? What options does it include? How much does THIS unit weigh according to its yellow sticker? What is the overall outside length? And yes, we like to see a price. I really don't like the "Call for Deal" sites. The dealership knows what they want to sell it for... what is that price?

Video is great! We love, love, love to see video walk-throughs. The best ones are the folks that take their time talking you through the entire unit and what makes it special. Non-talking videos with cheesy music do us no good and we move on.... please tell us what we are looking at. Someone said it before and we agree, please try to move the camera slowly so we can actually see what you are talking about. By posting your videos on You Tube and then linking from the unit's profile page, you can provide video to folks on your site while pulling others to your site from You Tube. (we search for unit videos there)

Finally, please try to list as much of your current inventory as possible. And keep your site updated. It's amazing how many dealers only list a small portion of their inventory or never seem to update their pages. We have found several units we liked online, called the dealers to visit and were told they sold that unit weeks or months ago. Why would we return to a website or visit a dealership who never seems to have new inventory, doesn't seem to know what they have or wastes our time?

Thanks again for asking for input. Best of luck!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #70
Commercial Member

Unfortunately, putting a price that we are willing to ask for it is complicated. Because we are a dealership, that inevitably means we have to make money and so "haggling" as it were, is necessary because of the industry. (perhaps it's not "necessary", but it's a paradigm shift that would be hard to make for dealers)

For example, if we put the price at $60,000 and we said that is how much we wanted out of it, the customer is always going to want lower, so we have to price things accordingly, with that expectation.

We also believe in adding value to the coach through our presentation. In other words, we believe we can ask for more money if our quality of customer service is higher. We do this every day. In some ways I would rather go to the Apple store and pay a little more than go to walmart to buy my iPhone because I know the experience is better.

However, I do see the benefit of having a "no haggle price" Lol, and actually I think we would be more than happy to sell our units at the price we have on the Internet the way it is, but unfortunately, because of everyone's expectations of the "sales process" we have to price it with the knowledge that there will be "the process"

Another thing with pricing is the real life competition. When you look at one site with one price you see a MSRP. This MSRP price is determined between the Manufacturer and Dealer based on different options and the way they WANT it to appear (I actually am not totally sure if this is across the board for all dealerships, but have heard of it happening) This is unfortunate in the RV industry. My point being that whatever MSRP you see, it is probably close to right, but the real number you want to compare is the "Sale Price," which most of the time we DO post on our website as much as possible.

This is the price that we would like to sell it at, but probably know we'll have to meet the customer half way. As dealers, not only do we have to make money, we have to keep our facilities running. This "sale price" is also known as the "no trade price" This also applies to "Show Prices" at an RV show. These prices are what we are willing to sell the coach to without a trade.

Another thing to consider, at least in Florida is that we pay at times around $2000 just to have it shipped. That makes it hard to compete on the internet with dealers residing in Indiana right next to the factories.

I'm not a sales person, but I work with them everyday. Because we can't compete with some of the bigger dealers out there on price, we have to compete on customer service and presentation.

I know it sounds like were making excuses for our prices. And I'm sure most people already know most of what I'm saying here, but hopefully I'm showing another side to the thinking behind the "pricing."

(end of random rant about sales pricing)

Tags
customer service, website