Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #71
We have a large company in our area that own several different RV dealerships under different names. They then have a large sale and call the new company RV liquidators. They promise the best price because of their large size and buying power. They list MRSP and usually list their units 3 to 4 thousand less. We went to their sale and the salesman was hard sell. He said that if we did not purchase a unit he would not get paid. We were looking at a unit with a MRSP of $37,000 and they were asking $34,000. I told the salesperson that I would have to think about it and would be looking around. If I liked the price would return. He left only to come back 5 min. later and offer us another $2000 off. I still refused and left the lot. Drove 40 min. and visited another dealership that sold the same unit as we were looking at. The owner (Brian) showed us the same unit as the dealership in Ottawa had (same model, year, colour and options). His price was $26,000 with a MRSP of $31,000. All I am asking is that if you are trying to sell my a product be truthful with all the info you tell me. I am not an impulse buyer and will do my research before I make a large purchase. If I go to a dealership and they are hard sell I will leave.

Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #72
Flagstaff 625D Popup
Oh how I wish RV dealers would have even a simple search tool...

I'm looking for bunks, outside kitchen, and 32' or under in length.

Right now, I don't care about what brand, and that is what most site ask you to choose from.

So I end up having to visually search though ALL their units. That is really a pain.

bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #73
Before we bought our trailer, we did a lot of research online for what we wanted for a trailer. Basically a small unit with a BH and good floor plan. I didn't limit us to just what California dealers had.

We visited all of our local RV dealers to compare prices and to see what we can get. Eventually we turned them all down. Simply they were overpriced and didn't carry any small trailers, compared to other dealers in another city. My research took over a year, gave up on the small unit with BH simply because no one had one. Started looking at other floor plans. Got myself a shopping list of a few units for comparison and if they had one, we'll get that model.

I decided to goto Pomona to visit a dealer there with shopping list. Lo and behold they had a small unit with a BH not yet listed online. This was what we originally had wanted and decided to buy it there. Why? It's what we wanted in a floor plan and has most features for a great price and is several thousands of dollars cheaper than our local RV dealers. Plus it's a 2013 model and they had sold one that day an this was the last one until they order some more. We are happy with our current trailer.

If your taking pictures, add a panoramic picture of the interior. This would give us a view of an actual space inside the trailer. This is one of the reason for our trailer. Two adults can pass through easily rather than one has to literally get out of the walkway for the other to pass by.

As for pictures with 'call for a price' I understand the unit is probably sales pending. But I will not bother to call for the price, this also goes with autos and trucks. I don't want the hassle or negotiate for something I will regret over. If the price is appealing to me, I will make a visit or basically be a tire kicker.
98 Chevy Silverado C3500 crewcab, 454 cu in & 2013 Salem Cruise-Lite 181BHXL
FRF and FROG member
Days camped in 2012 (3), 2013 (3), 2014 (6)
Days camped in 2015, 0 Days so far (0)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #74
Phat Phrog Phlunky
There is another point I failed to mention regarding the decision on where to buy. I found the one I bought on the internet and drove 6 hours round trip to pick it up. I did contact a local dealer and told them the number I was looking for on the unit I was considering. Their answer to me was, when you buy from us you get priority sevrvice.
So, to me the implication is, if you dont buy from us we will not view you as a priority if you require service!

They never addressed the 3000.00 dollar price difference. As a result, I did not buy from them nor will I use them for service!

I believe there is something on the FR web site that says something of this sort as well. Seems seriously short sighted!

Forest River RV Dealer Locator :: Forest River RV
Scot, I am "that guy"
2014 Raptor 27FS
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #75
The PPL website, used units, is the best by far, but Holiday World in Houston and Camping World also in Houston salespersons told me that they wouldn't provide that much information because it left nothing for them to talk to you about regarding the RV for sale.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #76
Commercial Member
@caper Yeah, I totally understand. Unfortunately the MSRPs are not always the same, but should be pretty close. Some things to keep in mind:

1. First, the sales person shouldn't put that kind of pressure on you...that is uncalled for.
2. Sometimes the MSRP can change based on the options that are added. Something like "full body paint" will increase it quite a bit. When researching, and you see a big different, ask about the options, but also ask for the "MSRP sheet." This is something they should have on hand and actually I think by law should be in every unit from the manufacturer...NOT the dealer.

As the Internet Guy (affectionately named , my job is gauged by Internet leads. Which means you feel comfortable enough to ask about a unit or price through the Internet. Trying to find the balance on too much info or not enough can be difficult to find. Thanks so much for your feedback!
Brandon Esparza
bjesparza1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #77
Commercial Member
@bean Lol, we actually have one of those...I just haven't installed it yet...will take that into advisement.
Brandon Esparza
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #78
Commercial Member
@essness Yeah, I understand what you're saying I think. I'm not sure about your particular experience, but here is some dealer perspective.

If you do buy from us, we may tend to be more willing to bump your RV to the front of the line for service. It's kind of a "customer loyalty thing." It's our way of saying "thanks" for buying from us. That doesn't mean other people get less quality service, but at the end of the day, our service department is great working with everyone. So if you came in and said, "Hey I need this by Monday" or whatever, we would do our best to deliver either way. It can be used as a "sales pitch" and if done in the wrong way...can be distasteful, like in your situation.

I can slightly address the $3,000 difference. In our situation, we are down in Florida. That means we could easily add hundreds if not thousands to our bottom line just for transportation cost from Indiana or wherever it may be.

Perhaps this helps a little. Thanks for your input on this thread. The thread has been helpful!
Brandon Esparza
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #79
Part of the problem with this industry is the inability to get true MSRP pricing. I have been to more than one dealer in the same general area and have priced IDENTICAL units. You would think they'd have identical MSRP prices. Wrong. They were about $4000 different. At least in the auto industry with available invoice pricing, you can get a VERY rough idea of what a vehicle cost. Dealers will never disclose true hold backs, incentives, etc, but we can come closer to an agreement on a fair profit. The RV industry appears to be a free-for-all for the dealers to potentially take serious advantage of buyers, much as the used car industry is notorious for. Posting a reasonable expectation of sales price would be a huge bonus. I'm sorry, but I think the RV industry needs to have sales regulations in place. I have nothing against a company making a profit, but extortion is a crime. And as for the earlier mention of pricing with or without a trade in......shouldn't make a difference either way. I can tell you with seeing the car sales industry at work, I know why a trade in makes a difference. Dealers are willing to make a little less on the new vehicle sale, because they knowingly low-balled a trade in knowing they'll make a killing on the resale. Have a friend of mine that thought he got a great deal on a new car because he bought it for $500 below invoice. Funny thing is that his traded in vehicle was listed 2 days later for $5000 more than what he was given as a trade allowance. This is why I agreed with others who advocate selling their old units themselves. From what I've seen is that if a dealer offers an "awesome" price on your new unit, they shafted you on the trade in. Take a look a few days after the sale and see what your trade is listed for. Granted, not all dealers are like that, but would venture to say that a fair number of them are. Bottom line is that to make and keep happy customers, they need to be treated fairly. Give them a fair deal, and they will take care of you. Screw the customers, and you got their money once. Never again and then have lost the business of everyone they know.

Sorry......done ranting now. Whew! Where's the Tylenol?
FoCoNoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #80
MI Camperz
I think when buying an RV, most people know what they want...
It's just a matter of narrowing down the, pictures speak a thousand words, along with floor plans.
Second, people know what they can spend, so price is important.
Hey, if you want to be like everyone else, don't include price.
If you want to stand out and make it simple, include price. You'll get a lot more calls than "everyone else".
I think it helps to have testimonials.
Pictures of parts and service areas so we know you have your act together.
Not looking for an unkempt place.
Easy "contact us" buttons for sales, service, etc.
Make it scream quality, not used car lot look.
Maybe include some pics of your customers camping if they are willing to share...may give a family feeling to your organization and build the lifestyle feeling.
Links to mfgrs is the easiest way to transmit info....usually a person can close that link and stay on your page.
Live chat by choice or a simple, no ty button.
If the live chat "pops" up, don't have it unmanned...that is sooooo stupid!
I get irritated when I click live chat and it says, sorry, we're not here...well, why did you pop-up then? Makes me think no thought goes into the things your company does besides gimmicks. Done right there.
Advertise your special shows in the community and on your web site.
My favorite dealer advertises in Craigslist...a lot! Links to their website.
Give to the community and post it in your website with pictures. Why not help sponsor some kids camps....could get great press releases that way too.
When I show up, let me look at my own leisure. One place around here doesn't let you go in campers until you "check in" and have a salesman with you....very awkward....very tense...I'm out of there! At the same time, it should be offered, in case I have questions. Don't make "qualifying" me the first order of business....I know what you're doing, and that doesn't show an interest in my shopping, RVing...or me as a screams an interest in commission first. Don't like the guy already (and btw, I make enough money and have excellent the jokes on you).
Here's a thought: I think people would line up if your organization didn't advertise prices you know are going to be haggled down. How refreshing, unique, simple, and to the point if the price was the price. Takes the guess work out for me, takes pressure off of me and the salesman. We can focus on the RVs and good fit and service...not be playing numbers "games".
Maybe a loan calculator and trade in estimate calculator...Link to Nanda.
I personally like walk-through videos as an option, if I like what I see in pictures me a chance to get more in depth with a particular unit as I narrow down the choices.
Great thread. Nice of you to ask.

MI Camperz
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote

customer service, website