Old 12-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #11

If true, this will ease the "wait" game for consumers during peak seasons. These smaller units seem to have caught on for those desiring more amenities than a tent and canvas bags full of stuff 😳.
Out west you see double tow of boats and double motorcycle trailers for personal use all of the time.
My concern; even a CDL does not ensure proper towing and braking techniques by drivers under weather or equipment failures ( tires, axles, brakes, running lights) . If it DID, the morning news would not show trucks plowing into each other; being blown over; catching fire; going over bridge overpasses and on and on.
Before all CDL people get upset, let me clarify this comment is NOT ADDRESSED to the thousands of SAFE AND COURTEOUS drivers who take added training and who I see frequently inspecting their rigs. I do REALIZE the news deals in EXCEPTIONS vs the rule. I am just saying there drivers out there who push their skill sets. I DO NOT want them side by side of me blowing by at 75mph with questionable skills.
MERRY CHRISTMAS or HAPPY HOLIDAYS, you choose 👍.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #12

The organization referenced in the article, NATM, does not represent RV manufacturers or any type of RV trailers.

They represent equipment, livestock, and utility trailer manufacturers below a certain weight.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #13
Ambassador

Talking Fed vs State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
I guess don't entirely understand the article. How come the gov't can over rule individual state laws, when our safety is concerned, it just doesn't seem safe to me .

Because the Highway systems are US highways not state highways

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
I guess don't entirely understand the article. How come the gov't can over rule individual state laws, when our safety is concerned, it just doesn't seem safe to me .
And in addition to "Because the Highway systems are US highways not state highways".

Anytime the Feds want to force something down the states throats, they either withhold or threaten to withhold some type of funds, such as highway funds or education funds.

(NOT meant to be a political statement, simply a fact.)
Old 12-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #15
Who Dares, Wins

You would be correct. That is why we (PA) have a texting law.. Seat belt law, and a .08 dui level. If it was not done the Fed would have withheld their give away money to the state. Even though each state is its own entity and has its rights separate from the whole US this is how they make sure the still keep control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:07 PM   #16
Ambassador

So just to point out we already have trailer rigs going down the road with a length of over 100 feet. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. So they are going to allow people to pull in tandem, big deal. What's the issue here?

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #17

Tandem pull

The ISSUE, as clarified by a previous post is MOOT ( if the poster was correct)
However, major companies can have bad behavior drivers driving big rigs.
Just search the wreck involving Tracey Morgan.
Roads are dangerous.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K. View Post
So just to point out we already have trailer rigs going down the road with a length of over 100 feet. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. So they are going to allow people to pull in tandem, big deal. What's the issue here?
The "fast" act, HR22, does not permit people to pull in tandem. One of the provisions of it allows properly licensed and permitted "manufacturers, transporters,and dealers" to haul new trailers from manufacturing facility to retail facility in tandem if they meet certain weight and size limitations. It has nothing to do with RVs, boat trailers, utility trailers, or any other trailer being used by the general public. It does not mean if you are in a state that does not permit tandem towing of rv's, that you can now hook your boat to your 5er. Its strictly a commercial regulation. I doubt you'll see rv manufacturers towing any trailers in tandem to dealers. They have a hard enough time getting their frames to outlast the warranty period, let alone the added stress of a tandem haul.