Old 04-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by X96mnn View Post
Too many people coming up with silly ideas and drinking way too much koolaide. The chances of an engineer or someone who builds a unit getting into a defective unit is most likely less then 2.5%. 90% of the issues people talk about in my humble opinion come form the unit being hauled 4000 miles at 85 mph buy someone who does not care. It arrives at a dealer who is paid good $$$ to check it out who does not do it and it gets sold to you.

Everyone here has a chance to pay 15K more for a base unit or 100K more for your higher end units compared to mass manufactured units and get the quality you want and choose not too. Stop complaining about it!

At the end of the day 95% of us would not have the RV unit we have if we needed to spend the extra money, be happy and go camping.

I guess you are one of those guys that are happy with inferior workmanship.

Remember how bad American cars used to be back in the 80's and 90's.
Poor quality, that's what we are unhappy with. But we can't go to the Japanese or the German's for other purchases options with an R V.

All we are saying, design's are good but there is no quality control in the production process.

I'm an electrician. If I installed recessed lights in someone's kitchen, I will make sure all the lights are in line and are all gapped accordingly. Otherwise no matter how good the electrical installation is above the ceiling, the finish product will look terrible.

Who know's what the inside the wall quality is on our R V, if they can't get the stuff that show on the outside right.

We have a Brand new Forrest River Shockwave with no water pressure. The dealer service department says that our water pressure is normal. It's so low we can't use the sprayer on the kitchen faucet. Of course you don't find this stuff out until you go camping and showering etc. We were told to put in a bigger pump. Unbelievable.

Anyway, we like our unit but need to get all the unnecessary issues fixed.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #112

[QUOTE=SkipnTerri;838434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Gents.... this isn't just about Forest River, but the entire industry. My TT has been OK, but I've had to fix way too much on it, simply because it's less hassle for me to do it than to hassle with the dealer and manufacturer.

With all the problems with the Forester, don't you think those issues should have been taken care of before you drove it off the lot? Good that most are done, but what about your time in dealing with them? Couldn't it have been better spent? I know mine could...

We'd prefer to drive off the lot with no issues, especially on a special order; however, they surfaced with use. For instance, how would one know there was too much cable making the DVD player blink? Or that the propane hose was kinked when the slide was in making the stove inoperable? How about missing mounting
hardware on the outdoor TV? Not all are in plain sight.
That't exactly what my complaints are about how bad the workmanship and quality control are. Amen.
All unnecessary.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
The different points of view and opinions are quite interesting. My background, FWIW, includes working in both boat and aircraft repair and maintenance, and experience with quality and reliability in aircraft.

Comparing quality of cars and trucks to RVs is only part of the picture. Only a motor home RV has the all the systems a car/truck does and more. Be that as it may, as many have pointed out, quality came to domestically produced cars because Toyota and Datsun and Mazda and Subaru were eating their lunch with their reputations for higher quality - at a higher price. Owners were willing to pay the extra money for the reputed higher quality. As domestic cars significantly improved their quality and could profitably stay at or under the Japanese price, the Japanese producers struggled. They countered by shifting a good portion of their manufacturing to the US.

Since the quality movement took hold in the autmotive industry, the price of new cars and trucks have generally risen faster than inflation. Building in reliability and quality generally costs more upfront, but can be cheaper over the long term. Radial tires, electronic ignition, better bearings throughout, upholstery and paint that lasts years are all significant improvements in my lifetime. In the '60s, most cars needed extensive work to go beyond 100K miles. Now most will go 200K with just routine maintenance.

The government mandated safey improvements, but has never mandated quality.

But an RV is much more like a home on wheels. So a better comparison might be mobile and pre-manufactured homes. Note that these are also generally despised for their low quality - and they don't get bounced on crummy roads nearly as much. If you want quality, you get a stick-built house (even then you may not get quality). If you want low price, you buy pre-manufactured.

Personally, do I wish my 2014 Rockwood A122 was built better? Yes, but only if it could be done without inflating the price. A little over $10K was all I was willing to pay for a toy that would only be used on average 4 days/month. I was shocked to see that the frames of the dinette seats were not square. And I had initial propane and water leaks (miscast propane line fitting and loose plumbing connections). But once the leaks were fixed, the camper does work as advertised. And my dealer did a great job with service, warranty, and recommendations.

Finally, I'm sure the door is open for somebody willing to start a company to build high quality RVs. There should be plenty of investors from this forum. Whether or not it can be done profitably is a very interesting question.

just my thoughts
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado, Nebraska, Wyoming (and maybe Utah) one weekend at a time
All understood and you make great points.
BUT, you wouldn't send a car or an R V out the door of the manufacture with loose lug nuts, so why with all the other issues we find.

I was told Warren Buffet owns Forrest River, I wonder how he would feel about getting out of bed onto the carpet in his new R V and having nails jabbing his bare feet. Just Saying....
Old 04-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrie1 View Post
I guess you are one of those guys that are happy with inferior workmanship.

Remember how bad American cars used to be back in the 80's and 90's.
Poor quality, that's what we are unhappy with. But we can't go to the Japanese or the German's for other purchases options with an R V.

All we are saying, design's are good but there is no quality control in the production process.

I'm an electrician. If I installed recessed lights in someone's kitchen, I will make sure all the lights are in line and are all gapped accordingly. Otherwise no matter how good the electrical installation is above the ceiling, the finish product will look terrible.

Who know's what the inside the wall quality is on our R V, if they can't get the stuff that show on the outside right.

We have a Brand new Forrest River Shockwave with no water pressure. The dealer service department says that our water pressure is normal. It's so low we can't use the sprayer on the kitchen faucet. Of course you don't find this stuff out until you go camping and showering etc. We were told to put in a bigger pump. Unbelievable.

Anyway, we like our unit but need to get all the unnecessary issues fixed.
I am one of those guys who is very satisfied with the value camper he received for his dollar.

All I am saying, do not ruin it for everyone with your wish of regulation or mandated quality. If your fine with spending 10k more today for a new car with better quality, (10k is just the extra you are paying for a car today after you take out the 12k in inflation amounts), that's fine. But there are many out there that if a camper that they needed cost 30k compared to 20k they could not afford it.

All I hear, or take from these arguments is a group of people, who will not spend an extra 10k on the same style camper with quality. Those people feel if they have to spend 10k more everyone should have to spend 10k more and it is not right. Make the decision on your own, do not have it forced on you and everyone else!

Sending you a PM on your water pressure. I may know what's wrong as I had the same issue in my first rvision.
X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #115

If I could get better quality for an extra $10K I'd be all in... You CAN'T! If you read the entirety of this thread you'd find that explained over and over. The fluff gets better for your extra $10K but it's the same trailer shoved out the door just as fast with just as many problems. Heck, I'm trying to spend an extra $20 - $30K more right now, but again it's the same crappy quality... As an old cud from West Texas described it... the same old woman in a new dress.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #116

Quote:
BUT, you wouldn't send a car or an R V out the door of the manufacture with loose lug nuts, so why with all the other issues we find.

I was told Warren Buffet owns Forrest River, I wonder how he would feel about getting out of bed onto the carpet in his new R V and having nails jabbing his bare feet. Just Saying....
Why did you not catch the loose lug nuts and nails in the carpet during your PDI? During our PDI, the tech demonstrated using a torque wrench and we actually checked each lug on all 4 tires.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #117
Mod free 5er

Quote:
BUT, you wouldn't send a car or an R V out the door of the manufacture with loose lug nuts, so why with all the other issues we find...
Because when I made the deal for our 2012, I kept the tires and wheels from my 2008 and actually watched them torque the lug nuts.

The lug nuts should have been part of YOUR PDI inspection.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #118

Quote:
If I could get better quality for an extra $10K I'd be all in... You CAN'T! If you read the entirety of this thread you'd find that explained over and over. The fluff gets better for your extra $10K but it's the same trailer shoved out the door just as fast with just as many problems. Heck, I'm trying to spend an extra $20 - $30K more right now, but again it's the same crappy quality... As an old cud from West Texas described it... the same old woman in a new dress.
Not so.

When we toured the plant that makes our Rockwood, we were told they complete 3-4 units per day.

Over at the Cedar Creek plant they complete A unit once every THREE days.

That's what the extra $20-30K gets you (in addition to higher quality amenities) A residential Whirlpool Refer is built to a higher standard than a 7CF Dometic, having a heat pump on the A/C costs more but makes the A/C more efficient, using screws over nails/staples means cabinets stay together and, BTW, using solid hardwood rather than particleboard means the screws stay in the wood. This stuff costs bucks and will be done in a $70K rig but not in a $30K rig - they can't - it is not economically feasible.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:07 PM   #119

So you say, but when I inspect these higher-dollar units closely, I see the same stuff that's in my 2012 unit I paid $25K for... and that was too much. I am not concerned about a heat pump. In fact from my experience with residential HPs, I'd rather not have one. I'd rather have a more substantial wall structure, frame and axles. And to Whirlpool quality... really? Again, not from my experience. My TT cabinets have just as much solid wood as the $50k TT I just looked at last weekend.

The number of units turned out per time frame has much to do with demand, and very little to do with quality. One brand I looked at has actual solid wood trim... the rest, regardless of price, use particle board covered with wood-grained plastic. The option of solid-surface counter tops is an expensive option. In fact it's amazingly so. If you price these per square foot, the price is outrageous... far more than quartz, granite, etc in your home. In fact I use the same stuff for making molds. If you knew how little it actually costs to make that stuff, you'd be a bit steamed, too.

I could go on and on. Instead, I'll just say that in my opinion, the manufacturers have some folks buffaloed... but I'm not one of them. I'll be a hard sell next year when I trade up.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:36 PM   #120

Quote:
Really??

You own a Surveyor SV-264 TT, looks like they cost around 20k
You could have bought a Black Rock 25RLS for 29,900

Black Rock is very similar in size and floor plan, weighs in at close to 2000pds more then your RV. Has heavier axels, customs built off road graded chassis and marine grade plywood but you didn't because it does not exist?

New 2015 Black Rock 25 RLS For Sale | Wetaskiwin AB

Now you may not have because these are harder to find as dealers tend to carry Thor or Forest River. They carry them because 95% of the people are not able or willing to pay for it. But quality does exist if you want it and can afford it. I can't afford it, I can afford what I have and very happy to own it even if I have to repair an item or two or 18 as I am sure some people would find.

X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality