Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 PM   #141

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a 6 month old 2015 Coachman Clipper 17FQ, my first ever trailer. I had been looking for quite some time and this one was on top of the list. The TT was like new, and got it at a great price. I did expect less expensive materials being used, as this is basically an entry level TT. But I was not really prepared for the lack of build quality. Kinked water line, punctured electrical wire resting on the metal junction box, and various other small issues. Of course, there is no warranty for a second owner, but like many others on here, I'm still fairly handy with tools and figuring out stuff, so I have fixed all issues I've found so far. These were obvious factory build issues, not something caused by the first owner. I really can't blame the guys building the trailers much, as this would be more of a top management issue. The faster you get a unit out the door, the less money it costs to build (labor wise) and the more profit they can make which usually translates into bigger performance bonuses. But, I did get the trailer I wanted at way below new dealer price, and it dos give me something to mess with since I'm retired anyway and have the time.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #142

We all know about the lack of quality workmanship when they build our RV's. Material quality has never been an issue for me but how they actually put everything together has.

We also have to acknowledge that RV dealers for the most part miss the mark in fixing those issues prior to delivery.

Case in point: I just took delivery of a new 2015 Salem 27RLSS. While installing the WD hitch assembly at home I happened to notice a small black wire swinging in the wind where I was working. After some looking around I realized that this wire was one of two coming out of the breakaway switch!! I actually brought the trailer home without a working breakaway switch! What I can tell is that at the factory they routed both breakaway switch wires through a metal clamp that also holds the trailer/truck connection cable. Apparently the metal clamp was too tight and cut one of the small wires. Now, should the dealer have caught that? I think so!

Next , at our maiden camping trip, I had to deal with a water leak from under the sink. It happens that the p-trap pipe was completely loose therefore the leak. Easy fix, thanks God. Now again, should the dealer have caught that too?

With my 40 some years RVing I know that there will be more to come. Happy Trails!

Old 05-10-2015, 03:06 AM   #143

I agree with most of you. The majority of the issues are the Dealerships and service department's. Agreed that the quality of products are not the greatest. But it's the lack of pride in the service and sales end. I've been a automotive technician for 36 years. Yes the RV industry should be much better. But the dealerships need a serious wake up call. If the company's I worked for treated customers the way RV dealer's do they would be out of business. Period. Also they should improve their part department and information. Have a rating scale like JD Powers, customers service survey and sales survey. Goes back to the industry and Rv management and buliders. So they can regulate which dealers need help.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:06 AM   #144

Who is responsible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt11664 View Post
I agree with most of you. The majority of the issues are the Dealerships and service department's. Agreed that the quality of products are not the greatest. But it's the lack of pride in the service and sales end. I've been a automotive technician for 36 years. Yes the RV industry should be much better. But the dealerships need a serious wake up call. If the company's I worked for treated customers the way RV dealer's do they would be out of business. Period. Also they should improve their part department and information. Have a rating scale like JD Powers, customers service survey and sales survey. Goes back to the industry and Rv management and buliders. So they can regulate which dealers need help.
Ok, I agree with most of what you've said, but who, may I ask, is responsible for rebuilding or replacing the dinette set that has virtually fallen apart in our 2015 Salem Ultra Lite? The table is so wobbly we have to watch what and where we place something on it. The frame of the seats are falling apart from use and vibration. It's breaking apart and becoming kindling wood. I'm taking it to our dealer this week so wondering if the dealer, or FR should be made to replace or repair the whole structure? It's still under warranty.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:58 AM   #145

Our 5er $65k was a higher end/priced one anyhow, yes had several several issues and was took back to our dealer within 2days. They didn't fix either major issue and didn't act as if they even cared. So I took the 5er back home and made the repairs myself and the slide issue alone took 2 days to fix. Glad I have the know how in mechanical, electrical, and plumbing and structure. The 5er's materials are quality, the construction sound, but the workmanship in detail of putting things together properly was another story. These issues not noticed until the unit was in use. I have corrected the slide out issues, plumbing issues, propane line routing issues thru the battery box, kinked fuel lines to generator from fuel tank, cabinet slides not lined up, heating duct work ducted improperly to bedroom and toy garage, caulking that was missed, to name a few. Now we are very pleased with our new unit no thanks to our dealers inability to make such corrective repairs to the factorys shoty workmanship on installation of the units amenities. All these issues could have been caught and corrected if quality control was utilized at the factory. So it really doesn't matter which unit you get try and see if the dealer will let you stay in the unit a couple days in the parking lot before you by it. LOL about the only way you will know if it was put together with care correctly. We love ours now but only because of my ability to fix things the right way without cutting corners. The factorys workers appear to have no pride in the work but I do and have now added a nice solar system to it to make it truely self contained. If you want it done right I suppose you will need to do it yourself. Happy camping everyone I feel you pain for ours has been resolved for now.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
Ok, I agree with most of what you've said, but who, may I ask, is responsible for rebuilding or replacing the dinette set that has virtually fallen apart in our 2015 Salem Ultra Lite? The table is so wobbly we have to watch what and where we place something on it. The frame of the seats are falling apart from use and vibration. It's breaking apart and becoming kindling wood. I'm taking it to our dealer this week so wondering if the dealer, or FR should be made to replace or repair the whole structure? It's still under warranty.
Can you make it to the FROG International Rally this August? If so, Forest River will repair and replace ANYTHING wrong wit your unit.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Can you make it to the FROG International Rally this August? If so, Forest River will repair and replace ANYTHING wrong wit your unit.
Probably not this August. Besides, it has to be fixed before then, or we'll have to sit on milk crates. In reading most of these replies, I believe the dealer should repair or rebuild the benches, but not at their expense. This was shoddy workmanship at the factory and they should re-imburse the dealer for fixing it.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #148
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
Probably not this August. Besides, it has to be fixed before then, or we'll have to sit on milk crates. In reading most of these replies, I believe the dealer should repair or rebuild the benches, but not at their expense. This was shoddy workmanship at the factory and they should re-imburse the dealer for fixing it.
Don't worry, IF the dealer fixes it, it most definitely won't come out of his pocket. If the factory won't pay for it, he won't do it most likely. He sure isn't going to get into his profit (which was no doubt pretty good).
Old 05-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't worry, IF the dealer fixes it, it most definitely won't come out of his pocket. If the factory won't pay for it, he won't do it most likely. He sure isn't going to get into his profit (which was no doubt pretty good).
If that's the case, then the warranty isn't as good as the paper it was wrote on. I'll make the case to the dealer, but sounds like I'll have to find a good carpenter to do the job right!!
Old 05-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
Our 5er $65k was a higher end/priced one anyhow, yes had several several issues and was took back to our dealer within 2days. They didn't fix either major issue and didn't act as if they even cared. So I took the 5er back home and made the repairs myself and the slide issue alone took 2 days to fix. Glad I have the know how in mechanical, electrical, and plumbing and structure. The 5er's materials are quality, the construction sound, but the workmanship in detail of putting things together properly was another story. These issues not noticed until the unit was in use. I have corrected the slide out issues, plumbing issues, propane line routing issues thru the battery box, kinked fuel lines to generator from fuel tank, cabinet slides not lined up, heating duct work ducted improperly to bedroom and toy garage, caulking that was missed, to name a few. Now we are very pleased with our new unit no thanks to our dealers inability to make such corrective repairs to the factorys shoty workmanship on installation of the units amenities. All these issues could have been caught and corrected if quality control was utilized at the factory. So it really doesn't matter which unit you get try and see if the dealer will let you stay in the unit a couple days in the parking lot before you by it. LOL about the only way you will know if it was put together with care correctly. We love ours now but only because of my ability to fix things the right way without cutting corners. The factorys workers appear to have no pride in the work but I do and have now added a nice solar system to it to make it truely self contained. If you want it done right I suppose you will need to do it yourself. Happy camping everyone I feel you pain for ours has been resolved for now.
I agree with all that you have said, but when I was on the factory tour 2 years ago. The Rockwood, Flagstaff line have a quota everyday and that's 35 units per day. They fly through these units. That's not pride in workmanship. It's Management that sets that. Now at the rally is different you meet the most nicest workers that take pride in there repairs. They take so much pride that they get to be a PIA because they will come back daily to make sure your happy and if there is anything else they can do for you. I blame Mass Production. I met a 3 generation family all working for FR. Two started at 16 and the third at 18 when they changed the policy and you had to be 18. Most Amish have only a 8 grade education then they go to work on a farm til they are 18 then go to work for FR. I have asked and talked to them I do not understand why the law only requires them to graduate 8 grade no high school. No future education is required by law for the Amish.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality