Old 05-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #151
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
If that's the case, then the warranty isn't as good as the paper it was wrote on. I'll make the case to the dealer, but sounds like I'll have to find a good carpenter to do the job right!!
I'm not saying the dealer won't fix it under warranty, but he does get paid by the factory, just not paid his normally exorbitant fee, which is usually in the $75-$125/hr range to have a $15-$20 tech to fix it.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #152

I can say local our auto service depts. are terrible ( All owned by the same family) & the manufactures do not care about quality once its sold ..... Long story that I won't get into But the manufacturer wouldn't stand behind their product (even after 2 motors went.) Neither would the dealer. We just don't feel the love anymore their commercials are far from the truth

Now our local RV dealer will stand behind their product even if the factory won't.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #153

It is unfortunate that this thread is so active, but facts are facts. I previously posted somewhere regarding FR's poor workmanship and the hours spent securing, aligning, fastening items to correct the slipshod work half done by the factory. Inspected the axle bearings today-just to be sure. Fortunately I am able to fix the minor issues we have encountered and for that reason we are really liking our Vibe 6501. If I had to rely on the dealer for repairs it is a good bet after purchasing in Dec 2015 we would still be waiting to use the unit. Our unit came w/o a television. I would have chosen this as I can now pick the TV I want. Installed the TV, popped a DVD in the play and got a great picture, but no sound. After pulling the BOSS radio/DVD player I discovered the assemblers plugged the speaker outputs into the AUX inputs. What next?
Old 05-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
After pulling the BOSS radio/DVD player I discovered the assemblers plugged the speaker outputs into the AUX inputs. What next?
Warning: Pun intended!

If you look at the brochures for all RV manufacturers including Forest River, a lot of emphasis is placed on the Amish craftsmen that supposedly "build" every unit. Maybe when it comes to the speaker cables they have to connect them with their eyes closed!
Old 05-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #155

I'm just learning what everyone is talking about. I took our new 2015 Microlite 25 BHS out for the first time this weekend. Didn't go far, just to a local campground. First issue I noted was some of the screws holding the molding around the bottom are popping out. Next thing to break was the awning. The screws where it attatches at the bottom came right out of the side of the trailer, and I am sure I did not put undue pressure on them. Then the last wonderful bit of frustration is that when I got home the slide wouldn't work. Dead, no power, no noise from it. Reset all the breakers, checked all the fuses. Nothing. Get the tool out to manually put the slide out an discover it's machimed so shoddily that it will not fit correctly over the bar on the slide. By this time I am quite pissed off. Called the dealer and made an appointment next week to bring it in. However in the mean time after crawling underneath I discovered another fuse in the wiring for the slide that was blown on further inspetion, so I hope thats all the problem was. I didn't have time to check replace it yet as I had to work tonight. If that's all it is I might just try to repair the awning myself with some wood putty. Dealer doesn't seem to care that it costs 20$ in gas to haul it up there each time. I told my wife not to throw the tents out just yet.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:01 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaberdeen View Post
I'm just learning what everyone is talking about. I took our new 2015 Microlite 25 BHS out for the first time this weekend. Didn't go far, just to a local campground. First issue I noted was some of the screws holding the molding around the bottom are popping out. Next thing to break was the awning. The screws where it attatches at the bottom came right out of the side of the trailer, and I am sure I did not put undue pressure on them. Then the last wonderful bit of frustration is that when I got home the slide wouldn't work. Dead, no power, no noise from it. Reset all the breakers, checked all the fuses. Nothing. Get the tool out to manually put the slide out an discover it's machimed so shoddily that it will not fit correctly over the bar on the slide. By this time I am quite pissed off. Called the dealer and made an appointment next week to bring it in. However in the mean time after crawling underneath I discovered another fuse in the wiring for the slide that was blown on further inspetion, so I hope thats all the problem was. I didn't have time to check replace it yet as I had to work tonight. If that's all it is I might just try to repair the awning myself with some wood putty. Dealer doesn't seem to care that it costs 20$ in gas to haul it up there each time. I told my wife not to throw the tents out just yet.
That fuse for your slide out blowing is not an uncommon occurrence. I would ask your dealer to install an inline circuit breaker when you take it in. I had one that kept doing that on a super slide. Worked great after that. Hope you get everything straightened out. It is frustrating.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:06 AM   #157
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I use a auto reseting curcuit breaker for my slides.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #158

This is an interesting discussion, I have a slightly different angle:

We’re new to the RV world. We bought a barely used 2007 Coachman Freelander and have been using it most weekends as part of our business. It has been working flawlessly and we are enjoying it. I consider myself lucky because I have the ability to maintain, repair, or replace any of the systems in this motorhome if it was needed. I originally considered doing a conversion on a Sprinter van, but we found this, like new, unit that fit our needs at a good price that we could put into service very quickly. A used, empty Sprinter with the low mileage the Coachman had would have cost more than what we paid for this vehicle.

BUT…

While checking everything out and making some modification, I was amazed how this thing was built. For a “manufactured” unit, it appears to be built in place, by hand, and not very sophisticated. (I would suspect this is why some people have few problem while others have lots of problems.) It would be my guess that this is how they have always built them and still build them this way today. Maybe I’m wrong about that, but the units I have looked at have all used the same construction methods. In other words, I see no real, game changing innovation in this industry.

There are so many things that I would have done differently that would have resulted better quality and cost less to make - especially if I wanted to manufacture a bunch of them. In my opinion, there were poor design decisions made in just about every aspect of this unit.

I think this entire industry could be disrupted so easily by some new thinking. Remember the mobile phones before the iPhone was introduced?

I still wish that I would have had the time to design and build my own motorhome…
Old 05-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #159

We bought a brand new 2015 Sanibel last fall, for the last two to three weeks I have been "fixing" all the problems that should never have been there in the first place.
I had many trailers over the years, from pop ups, travel trailers and fifth wheel units, basically one has to be handy and it takes a few weeks to get where the trailer should have been in the first place.
Good luck to the first time buyers!!!
Old 05-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
I think this entire industry could be disrupted so easily by some new thinking. Remember the mobile phones before the iPhone was introduced?
Yours is a different take to the RV manufacturing issues but I agree 100%. I said before that for the most part I have never had issues with the quality of the materials used but yes with the workmanship involved in putting everything together.

I have to surmise that the construction methods have not changed for decades in order to accommodate the type of labor used, the type of facility used for assembly and, last but not least, the "if it ain't broken don't fix it" mentality in the administration.

And you are right, with modern assembly methods and facilities, they could produce a better quality product with increased profit margins. Win-win for them and the RV consumer.

Maybe someone from the inside can chime in and let us know the secrets of why it is the way it is.

Tags
quality