Old 05-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #161

If the manufacturer had a quality control, then some of their assembly mistakes should be rectified before the trailer even leaves the factory.
The Sanibel/Forest River is the first (new) 5th wheel I had to repair before I even take it out on the first trip, I sure hope that Forest River makes a better product normally, but then I maybe just to picky.
I would love to sit together with some of their designers to tell them how we the customer see's their "masterpiece ".
Happy Trailering.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #162

I had to work on ours for a week also before our first trip, then we camped in our own pasture so we could find and fix the rest of FRs mistakes. All of the quality control mistakes FR made still weren't all discovered but we fix them as we use something and find there mistakes in craftsmanship. I think it's really sad that you can't even depend on the dealership you buy it from to have the know how to make the repairs under warranty. I'm the warranty department at our house. Car dealers could only be so lucky as to not care about there customers. To bad it isn't the same with RV dealers. Don't get me wrong we love our new 5er but only because I made ourselves whole by fixing FRs mess.

435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #163

Thank for your reply, the problem is that the dealer I bought the trailer from is 6 hours from where I live.
The local Forest River dealer ( he does not sell Sanibels) wants $ 40 extra per hour besides what Forest River pays, also they won't even look at the trailer unless I leave the trailer there for two weeks. So much for Forest River's two year warranty.
It all boils down to no quality control and bad design in some instances.
I just feels sorry for first time buyers, they trust in the manufactors and have not "seen the light"
Old 05-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #164

I wish I could say that the auto dealer I bought my Ram truck from was good, but they were no better than an RV dealer. I took this thing in 3 times for minor stuff and all 3 times it was a major pain in the arse. The only work done by a dealer on my current TT unit was to add the power tongue jack... and I rewired that when I got it home. I truly wonder if FR has anyone monitoring FROG. Whether they do or not, I doubt seriously that they care as long as the paychecks keep coming in.

I think the lack of a quality control group is only part of the problem. I believe most of the workers are paid by the unit... so the faster each work process is completed, the more money that make. Perhaps if these workers were made responsible monitarily for returns, they might take a little more time with each task, and pay a bit more attention to detail.

As someone else said... it's truly a shame that this thread is so active... Must be some truth to the subject matter.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #165

Quote:
Car dealers could only be so lucky as to not care about their customers. To bad it isn't the same with RV dealers...
Within a short drive there are over 2 dozen auto repair shops all competing for customer loyalty & most willing to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy.

Over a year ago my wife was involved in a fender-bender that took-out her A/C condenser. The replacement condenser failed so just YESTERDAY (at closing) I called them to report the problem. They said everything would be covered under their lifetime repair warranty & if we dropped-off the car in the morning they would have it fixed by closing time. Needless to say, 24 hours later my wife has A/C again & it didn't cost a cent. They didn't even charge us for replacing the Freon like some shops would do.

Needless to say & tell everyone I know about them & in recent years they have actually expanded to a small chain of 5-6 shops. Although I have been treated fairly by our local RV dealership, family & friends feel differently & some have pledged to never return. IMO RV dealers should not treat customers like they are the only shop in town - even if they are...
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #166

The dealer we bought from is 5 hours and we have had to make that trip multi. times. Unfortunately a full timer, i think hit it on head. In 2008 when economy went south so did all the expertise in the RV industry....before then we had many choices
and the 6 units we had from 1979 thru 2004 were awesome....
retrax/GPI/AFE
Bustedflush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #167
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedflush View Post
The dealer we bought from is 5 hours and we have had to make that trip multi. times. Unfortunately a full timer, i think hit it on head. In 2008 when economy went south so did all the expertise in the RV industry....before then we had many choices
and the 6 units we had from 1979 thru 2004 were awesome....
We bought a new 2005 SOB, new 2006 SOB, new 2008 Flagstaff and a new 2012 Flagstaff. I can say that all 4 had practically the same quality assembly problems. Our 2012 has been the most trouble-free of the 4 with only a landing jack being bad right after getting it home. Other than the landing jack, it has been trouble free. A lot of mods, but not to rectify FR problems.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #168

Good to hear.. WE have had nothing but trouble which takes the fun out of things. 1979 to 2012 wen we got this FR product things were good.. now not so sure.. had appt. thur. last week on wed night steps broke....dealer charged me $60 to put in a bolt.
QC and customer services anymore just suck.....
retrax/GPI/AFE
Old 05-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedflush View Post
Good to hear.. WE have had nothing but trouble which takes the fun out of things. 1979 to 2012 wen we got this FR product things were good.. now not so sure.. had appt. thur. last week on wed night steps broke....dealer charged me $60 to put in a bolt.
QC and customer services anymore just suck.....
I will say wine of the best rings i ever did was buy and extended warranty.. deductible is just to high so will have to wait for things to add up again.
retrax/GPI/AFE
Old 05-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #170
Mod free 5er

Bustedflush, did he replace the steps or just a bolt. If just a bolt, that was readily accessible, I would have done it myself.

Tags
quality